Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

I am not sure that this is the right way to do this but, my daughter is moving to Hollywood - Ft. Lauderdale area. Does anyone know anything about the area around 1916 Fletcher Street in Hollywood, Florida? It is pretty close to what appears to be a race track.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS889 View Post
I am not sure that this is the right way to do this but, my daughter is moving to Hollywood - Ft. Lauderdale area. Does anyone know anything about the area around 1916 Fletcher Street in Hollywood, Florida? It is pretty close to what appears to be a race track.

Thanks!
I just looked at it on google earth and it is right near the dog track. In Florida you can drive through a stretch of million dollar homes and in two minutes be in a crack area so it would be hard to say without doing a drive by. It is near Federal Hi-way and some industrial park like areas. I would say it may not be the nicest area in general but like I said you would have to actually go there to see if you need bars on the windows. It is close to everything and not far from the beach.

Fletcher Street in Hollywood, Florida? - Google Maps

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjjohn View Post
We are moving from Toronto, Canada which has a horrible traffic problem. We do not want to move to another traffic congested city where it takes 30 minutes to go 3 miles.
Which city has the worst traffic problem? Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Tampa?
We are looking for a safe community with low crime rates, great schools, and easy driving to and fro. Which city is best?
I am an anesthesiologist looking to relocate to a place where my children can grow up within a great community, and have lots of cultural things to do for my wife and I. I would love to have a place with a low cost of living & reasonable housing rates.

Bottom Line: Which city would you recommend given my wants/needs?

Thanks for each and everyone's input. We really appreciate it.
My xhusband is an anesthesiologist. We did a two week interview trip when we decided we wanted to move to Florida and hit on the coastal cities as we both are water people. All of the cities you mentioned have traffic problems. When you live in FL, most traffic in the major cities/highways, i.e 95 & 75 double during November through April.

Also be forwarned that Florida has long been known as a "rotating door" situation regarding Anesthesia partnerships. We found this out through the interviewing process. We ended up in the Bradenton/Sarsota area due to the beautiful beaches and availability to live on water and be within 15 min drive during call to the hospital.

Personally, if it were East Coast, we would have chosen Jupiter. Hospital's on the beach & just loved that it was not the hustle bustle of the Lauderdale area.

As far as west coast, it's pretty up in the air. I live downtown SRQ at this point & X is out of state, out west but thinking of returning as he misses the water.

Send out your CV's and take it from there. With your income, you should have no problem finding a nice/safe place to live no matter what part of the state you decide upon. Florida is not known for good schools as far as public education and personally, I don't think the private ones are any better from what I've seen with my own children.

Any more questions, feel free to ask me.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM

11 posts, read 114,529 times
What does that mean..."rotating door" regarding the partnerships? How did your husband like the Florida practice?? We are thinking of Jacksonville, Orlando, or Tampa. Any thoughts on any of these cities?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
What does that mean..."rotating door" regarding the partnerships? How did your husband like the Florida practice?? We are thinking of Jacksonville, Orlando, or Tampa. Any thoughts on any of these cities?

"Rotating door" means that people leave as fast as they come in. New people come in and leave and it's just one big circle of uncertainty.

Have you ever considered any of the other cities like St. Petersburg or Clearwater? They're supposed to be nice areas and certainly less populated then the others you mentioned.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:44 PM

18 posts, read 59,197 times
I live in Hollywood, and the traffic here locally doesn't compare with the traffic in Miami. Local driving is a pleasure after Miami. If you are going to work in Miami and commute from either Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood, be prepared for a slow and long commute, depending on the time of day you commute. "Rush hour" starts at about 6/7am and goes until after 9, and the evening rush out of Miami begins around 4-4:30. By 7-7:30 the traffic is clear, assuming there were no accidents to tie things up further.

Traffic in Ft. Lauderdale is very heavy during rush hours. The traffic to the downtown area is very congested and the east-west roads are basically 2 lanes each direction, and bumper to bumper. A trip east for several miles took over an hour during rush hour.

I believe it was last year or the year before that Tampa got the award for the rudest drivers, or maybe it was for worst drivers. I have no comments about Tampa traffic. It's been a number of years since I've driven there.

A google search for "things to do" and a city name will give you hits for all the museums, orchestras, cultural events, etc. I would not consider any place in south FL to have a low cost of living. Real estate may be more reasonable now that it was last year, but compared to other areas of the country, even other areas in FL, it's still not very affordable for the average Joe. Beware of high taxes and very high home owners insurance fees in south FL.

If you want great public schools, you may want to look at another state, not FL.

Quote:
We are moving from Toronto, Canada which has a horrible traffic problem. We do not want to move to another traffic congested city where it takes 30 minutes to go 3 miles.
Which city has the worst traffic problem? Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Tampa?
We are looking for a safe community with low crime rates, great schools, and easy driving to and fro. Which city is best?
I am an anesthesiologist looking to relocate to a place where my children can grow up within a great community, and have lots of cultural things to do for my wife and I. I would love to have a place with a low cost of living & reasonable housing rates.

Bottom Line: Which city would you recommend given my wants/needs?

Thanks for each and everyone's input. We really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida