Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

Fanning Spring/Silver Oaks is beautiful. The sub-division has lots of wonderful people. We lived there for 6 years and loved them all. Just missed the kids and grandkids to much , so moved back home. When i left there were only 2 site built homes, the rest were manufactured homes but all doubles or better. Silver Oaks is quiet, well cared for. The restrictions are reasonable and yearly dues were $35.00, RV's allowed , great for walking and bikes. The local area is truly a "good old boy program" but workable. Already some snowbirds in the division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,788 times
We purchased a home on the river in Old Town, about 3 miles from Fanning Springs in 2001. This area is "awesome" and has mild winters. We go there at least every other week for about 3 days each time. We are always river riding March - Dec. and even Jan. and Feb. if the days are warm enough. There are lots of freshwater springs and anything to do on the river. Check out my site for spring locations, gorgeous photos and many activities. Suwannee River Riding. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Also Gainesville is very nice. Has a very large mall.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISINGDU99 View Post
It seems to be a beautiful place to live, we ride motorcycles and it's beautiful for that. How nice are the winters here?
Let me know what you think....Thanks
I guess if you like living in the middle of nowhere then its a great place.
Weather will be such that you can drive your bikes all winter long although there will be days where you'll have to bundle up, and some mornings may have frost..
Plenty of nice biking areas throughout the inner parts of the state, one particular area that attracts a lot of bikers particularly on week ends is the Ozello Trail just south of Crystal River and about 60 miles south of Fanning, probably Floridas twistiest road, i counted 90 corners in 10 miles, and the seafood restaurant at the end is recommended,think its called the crab shack.

http://www.bestroadsbyhonda.com/w-ozello-trail.html

Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,219,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess if you like living in the middle of nowhere then its a great place.
Weather will be such that you can drive your bikes all winter long although there will be days where you'll have to bundle up, and some mornings may have frost..
Plenty of nice biking areas throughout the inner parts of the state, one particular area that attracts a lot of bikers particularly on week ends is the Ozello Trail just south of Crystal River and about 60 miles south of Fanning, probably Floridas twistiest road, i counted 90 corners in 10 miles, and the seafood restaurant at the end is recommended,think its called the crab shack.

W. Ozello Trail
Theres a pretty good resturant out there called Pecks. Good food.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Hi, If you do get tired of the same old thing, just drive into Gainsville, about 40 min. from Fanning Springs. There is all kinds of things, the Oaks Mall, dining, movies, etc. www.suwanneeriverriding.com

Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 35,424 times
Congrats, you're moving to a place with no services. No hospital, no doctors, no chain grocery stores, you throw your garbage in a dumpster on the side of the road. Isolated, full of natives who won't be keen to have Yankees for part-time neighbors. Fanning Springs Park is nice. Manatees hang out there in the fall. However, if you want services or entertainment, you will need to drive to Gainesville.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Wink Yes there are places

Hello,
Chiefland and Cross City, (plus other places) are on the same highway as Fanning, only 10 min. drive away. If you are in need of emergency medical 911 has a great system and a heliport. The helicoptor picks you up in an instant and takes you to Gainsville hospital or Shands. I live in Georgia but have a place on the Suwannee since 2001. I live almost right at Valdosta. We can get all the things at Fanning Springs, Dixie County, Chiefland, etc. that we get in Valdosta. And Hitchcocks Grocery is a chain, also Super Walmart. Also coolest store in Fanning Springs that beats Valdosta, Thomasville or anywhere around us. Also beats some of the stores I have seen in many of my travels. ( look it up--The Point of View). Also all the cool stuff and people you meet on the river. A new adventure every day. Where I live now, the cost of living is incredibly high. 600.00 per month just for utilities and our taxes keep going UP while our home values go down. Now in the Fanning Springs Area, our taxes have decrease in half since we have been there and the utilities are reasonable and done correctly. Although I like where I l am now the cost is killing us. The Fanning Springs area is much more reasonable all the way around plus much prettier. www.SuwanneeRiverRiding.com

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 10,081 times
Default Fanning springs fl.

Check out Silver Oaks subdivision,and I think you will like it!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 10,081 times
Default Silver Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISINGDU99 View Post
We just bought some land in Fanning Springs, Florida, in the Silver Oaks subdivision. Does anyone live in or know this area? Is it nice? We will only live here in the winter months. It seems to be a beautiful place to live, we ride motorcycles and it's beautiful for that. How nice are the winters here?
Let me know what you think....Thanks
Hope you enjoy the area, it is a great place to retire!
Hi, I own lots 114 & 115. I am looking to sell. If you know anybody tell them I will give them a good deal!
Thank You,
Warren Wimmer
Ps , " Troke realty 352 463 7075

Old 10-08-2014, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Fanning Springs is in Dixie County next to Chiefland.Not much there.Run by good ol' boys,who you know.Fanning Spring's is next to very nice state park Manitiou Springs.The winter will range in 30-40 night to 60-70 daytime range Dec thru Feb.Very rural county.They are in the works for a hospital since Gainesville is 50 miles away.Taxes for snow bunny can be very high since if it exists after Jan,you won't have homestead nor S.O.H. (save our homes) which caps your assessment at 3 percent.Insurance if you can get,will be expensive,I don't have any.You are closer to Gulf and Cedar Key,so more at risk for hurricane.Florida is in turmoil right now and don't see light at end of tunnel.It was nice for my first 17 years but not these last 3.I would move if I could but will have tough time selling home.Fanning Springs is less than a dot on map.Gas station,restaurant, flea market and hardware store.
First off Silver Oaks in Fanning Springs, Florida is in Gilchrist/Levy County. The city of Fanning Springs, Florida is composed of two counties actually, Levy County is on the west side of Highway #19 and Gilchrist County is on the east side of #19. It's a lovely place to live if you like small city living. We have resided in this area for over 25 years. We have no family connections to anyone living here or has ever lived here. Our son went to school from 7th grade through 12th and graduated from Chiefland High School. He moved from the area and is living and employed in Tampa, Hillsborough County.
New blood running for local Mayor's office and other council seats open. Hope to bring new blood and ideas in.
The springs in the city is known as Fanning Springs State Park. A few miles west of Chiefland on Manatee Road is Manatee Springs. The manatees winter there some years and can be seen as late as April some years. Occasionally one or two will swim in for a visit now and then during the summer time too.
The weather is good despite the love bugs and other bugs. Winter of 2014 hit us late in Feb.-March this year. We had maybe a week long cold spell a couple of times. Days of 40s to 50s. Nights were lows of 20s to 40s a few times. We usually get a freeze 1-2 times a year but not every year.
The city is growing though slowly but seems to be speeding up a bit lately. A Dollar General really helped the people and stays busy.
The hospital doesn't seem likely as the surrounding counties are too poor to make any money to support a full hospital. Everyone goes to Shands of UF and now North Florida with expanded health care in Florida.
We rarely get much from a hurricane except some increase in winds. We stayed home when the last bad storm took down trees in our neighborhood on the West side of Fanning Springs. We are far enough inland to survive hurricanes and we are over 35 miles inland and north of Cedar Key. Unless you buy land in a floor area the land stays dry except near the river. Our property soaks up any water in 20-30 minutes after any hard rains stop.
Our home owners insurance rose last year $6.00 and is dropping this year $6.01. So insurance is not high here in our opinion. We do Homestead which seasonal can not do. You must live in the state for more than 6 months a year I believe to file Homestead Exemption in Jan. Our home is over 18 years old and we keep full insurance coverage at all times.

Last edited by Grandma4gd; 10-08-2014 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: To delete second quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida