Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingtulip View Post
Well, I appreciate everyone's suggestions! And I see that the difficulty in answering, and in "breaking" my requirements, comes from the fact that there is *not* an ideal place for me in Florida. Which is what I was afraid of. Which is what you all confirmed. So thank you.

But no worries. This just means I need to figure out what I want to give up: family for dry heat of the southwest which i would prefer, mainly, and other sacrifices such as liberalism, etc. I will likely make the following my priorities then:
1) someplace in FL--humidity be damned. I'll still be much better off, and happier, in the warmth, even with humidity, than in the winters of Michigan.
2) night owl friendly

CA truly would be ideal for me, (I know, I lived there for 7 yrs , but I have already crossed it off the list for many reasons.) I will think on everyone's suggestions, quite a bit, I am sure.

St. Petersburg (near Tampa?) does sound intriguing...how is that for being night owl friendly (again, that is distinct from being party-friendly ).

And one last query. What about bike-friendly cities? Do they exist in FL? A place where I could get around not owning a car? (Hey how about San Francisco? LOL ) mCould you survive in St. Pete's or Ft. Lauderdale without a car?

Thanks again
40 years ago when I was on Spring Break I stayed at a hotel in St. Pete. The clerk swore us to be quiet after dark or they would kick us out.

Last week my nephew and his family checked into a hotel in St. Pete at 8PM.....the pool area had a sign that said Closed at DUSK. They ended up getting kicked out of the pool when I was talking with him at 9PM.....Things don't seem to have changed a whole lot.

What exactly is a night owl freelancer anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Last week my nephew and his family checked into a hotel in St. Pete at 8PM.....the pool area had a sign that said Closed at DUSK. They ended up getting kicked out of the pool when I was talking with him at 9PM.....Things don't seem to have changed a whole lot.
Hotel pool hours are not indicative of locale and 9pm is pretty much a standard anywhere I have stayed.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hotel pool hours are not indicative of locale and 9pm is pretty much a standard anywhere I have stayed.
I know, I just thought it was funny that they still have the rule. Dusk is pretty early in January, though. Here on the east coast especially on a weekend night the band is still playing pool side at that time. The bar is still open. Last summer here on the beach no one kicked us out-even when we were still swimming at midnight.
After all these years and even being a senior myself, I still think of St. Pete as a midwest retirement haven. But even back in the 70s there were some pretty cool places to go out to at night. LOL

Old 06-08-2012, 11:37 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I spent a few summers there as a child and thought it oppressive
compared to the Jersey Shore. Of course, as an older Florida resident, I don't really notice. I think acclimation is the key.
Yes, acclimation and perception based on what you are used to. If I moved directly to Knoxville from New England I would probably think it is pretty hot here. I remember taking a vacation in Virginia, years ago, and thinking that I was going to pass out from the heat. Then I moved to Florida.

As it is, having lived in the North, Florida and now East Tenn., I think Knoxville's weather is darn perfect. Coming up on seven years now, I still think the summers are incredibly cool and the winters short and very, very mild.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
After all these years and even being a senior myself, I still think of St. Pete as a midwest retirement haven.
I used to have the same thoughts here, but it sure has changed. In my opinion it currently has the most livable downtown area in the state. Blast from the past...remember St Pete is where they filmed the movie "Cocoon"? What a difference 25-30 years makes.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I used to have the same thoughts here, but it sure has changed. In my opinion it currently has the most livable downtown area in the state. Blast from the past...remember St Pete is where they filmed the movie "Cocoon"? What a difference 25-30 years makes.
Sure does, Kyle. My hubby and I drove up to have lunch in beautiful downtown St. Pete today. And speaking of "Cocoon," Ron Howard loved St. Pete even way back then - he said it reminded him of his home town, he called it "Burbank on the water."

Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
I personally think St. Petersburg is more "progressive" than Tampa if you're going to the Tampa Bay area. The downtown and northern portions of St. Petersburg is safe and the temps are more moderated than in Tampa. It's close to the beach, as well. St. Pete is one of the most bike friendly cities you'll find in the Florida, if not the most bike-friendly town in Florida. They even have dedicated street light for the Pinellas Bike trail that runs through downtown St. pete and goes like 30 miles up the coast well past Clearwater. The bike trail has bridges that cross a few highways which is really impressive.

It's probably my favorite city in the south.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default St. Pete Progressive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I personally think St. Petersburg is more "progressive" than Tampa if you're going to the Tampa Bay area. The downtown and northern portions of St. Petersburg is safe and the temps are more moderated than in Tampa. It's close to the beach, as well. St. Pete is one of the most bike friendly cities you'll find in the Florida, if not the most bike-friendly town in Florida. They even have dedicated street light for the Pinellas Bike trail that runs through downtown St. pete and goes like 30 miles up the coast well past Clearwater. The bike trail has bridges that cross a few highways which is really impressive.

It's probably my favorite city in the south.
When you say St. Pete is "progressive" are you referring to the political or social climate or the updated city structure?

Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 78,142 times
So, tell me about St. Pete's,

City center and north is safe? Nice? Expensive?

Is it all pretty urban?

Are there any 24-hr coffee shops or Internet cafes that have decent wireless connections? (especially non-chain ones?). Or any that are at least open until midnight? Any late night movie theaters? Community theater houses?

I currently live in the country, near honest-to-goodness farms! I'm about a 20-minute drive from the capital, which boasts one or two 24-hr diner/Internet cafes, and that is a godsend! Plus plenty of bars and restaurants. I do love living out by the farms though . I can bike on roads that hardly anyone drives down and see horses and deer. I wonder if there is a location that has similar qualities near St Petersburg? Kind of rural, but close enough to stores and close enough to St. Pete's for night activity? Over that Sunshine Skyway Bridge looks like the communities get a little less dense, but it's only 30 minutes away. Do I have options in Terra Ceia? Parrish? Or anyplace across the bridge?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2012, 02:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
If you like San Fran why are you against South Beach/Miami Beach? Besides for price of course I think for what you are looking for its your best bet. But it is more expensive than say Saint Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida