Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 149,574 times

Advertisements

i read some posts that British children get bullied..even in priavate schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 AM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
Children just get bullied in Florida its a big school problem, being British the kids will get teased about thier accent, not that they are hated or disliked. Private schools are the answer if you can afford it. Florida schools are down at the bottom of the ladder, some say 39th and graduation rates are even worse. My mother is English and used to get teased all the time, shes been here since 1946. Kids are tough, give them a year or two and then they will sound like an American, whether thats good or not depends on who thier friends are.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
Well, I am from central Florida, but my kids are grown. I really can't answer how a child would be treated here. I can say that my daughter and her family were stationed in England for 3 years (my youngest grandson was born over there) and we were concerned for my oldest grandson when he returned to the states (IL) because after going to school in England for his first 3 years he definitely sounded british. He didn't have any real problems though. Where in central Florida were you considering?

Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 AM

75 posts, read 269,795 times
Hey There Pete..i Happen To Like Brits...
I Find They Are Very Polite And Always Say
Thank You.....a Breath Of Fresh Air If You Ask Me?
Kat
P.s. I Live In Central Florida
But, I Can't Speak For All The Other People....

Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,919 times
Why would they hate Brits? The Brits provide thoudands of jobs here in Central florida. They are the biggest buyer of Vacation homes in the Disney area. Half the homes on Keenes Point are owned by British Realtors. British owned companies employ thousands of Americans here. The I drive area hotels thrive becuase of Brits.....I would think they would be welcomed with open arms. The Crenshaw School is full of British kids......I think kids are just unkind to each other in general........I dont think it has anything to do with Accents.....especially when all you here out of American kids mounths is the word "Like' and Oh My god, It was like Oh my god.....

Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Personally, I can't think of a place in our country who doesn't like Brits. Like was already said, school aged children may at first tease someone with a British accent, but I doubt there'd be much hostility involved. Everyone I've ever talked to loves the British accent and the British politeness. We don't get to encounter too many of them up here where I live, but you shouldn't be shunned any place that you go to in the U.S. Come on over!

Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
Pete
I think some Brits tend to hate Americans. let me tell about one incident. My Norwegian friend and I were in a pub called The Albany in a nice section of London near the Great Portland Street tube station. My friend was playing the piano and we were both singing older songs like 'It's a Long Road to Tipperary', etc. My friend then played George Cohan's old WW I song "Over There." After finishing that song, I then took both of our empty mugs back to the bar to get refills when a Brit at the bar suddenly sucker punched me in my face causing me to take a few steps back. Needless to say, I pulled that guy off his bar stool and started punching him back and got him down on the floor. His girlfriend then jumped on my back and started slugging me with a heavy glass ash tray.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
People in Central Florida don't hate Brits. I've lived here all of my life, and can assure you that we are not anti-British in the least!

As far as a British kid getting bullied in school, I tend to doubt that this is so, simply because he is British. I went to Maitland Junior High and Edgewater High school - both average public schools. In Junior High, kids would pick on other kids for just about anything. No one was really immune. Once you toughen up to it and learn to push back, the bullying will stop. It was sort of an unwritten rite of passage. If a British kid is getting picked on, it's more likely that he hasn't learned to fend for himself yet. One of the best lessons he could learn is how to fight and defend himself. Escaping to private school where you never have to learn to fight off jerks is teaching a kid that you can run away from your problems and mommy and daddy will be there to help protect you. Bad reason to send a kid to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: