Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: tropic landscape, year-round tan, incredible sunsets, great fishing and boating, hurricanes

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
You forget, people up north think you can eat sand and pay your bills with sun and surf.
It's rare for someone to base their sole reasoning behind their discouragement of FL based on weather. Yet, it's so common to hear people want to pack up & move to FL based solely on weather...and when someone who LIVES HERE DARES bring up the reality of the weather...well, those people are the devil's children for how could they not like the beach & tennis & sun all the time all the time all the time.
Weather is relative. There are so many other issues that go into peoples concerns about a particular area of FL that are not so kind...housing, taxes, HOI, cost of living, schools, & crime...It's easy to adjust to weather....It's hard to change one's attitude towards a school system. The beach doesn't pay your property taxes. The sun doesn't educate your children.

And I've never seen any post where anyone states that FL is the worst at anything b/c most are intelligent to know that while FL ain't the best in lots of areas, it is not the worst in lots of areas.

Many who move here did not have a choice of WHERE in FL they wanted to move to; it was based on circumstances out of their control. Weather only adds to the irritation of a situation that many want to work but the harsh reality [especially of SW FL] makes the weather very unimportant.

Anyway, this original poster's lack of acknowledging other's written work & inconsistencies in his/her own statements pretty much sums up what is becoming very obvious. He/She is also trying to cause some sort of stir in posters with certain opinions. But, he/she didn't keep a poker face long enough. Sorry, you bluffed!

Last edited by 121804; 09-26-2007 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
All,

Please get back to the topic. If you have a problem with the thread, forward a DM to me and I will research and evaluate your concerns. Stay within the rules:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do no attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.

Sunrico90

Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM

326 posts, read 466,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski99 View Post
While Mother Nature rips your house apart, you cry, you pray, and wish it would all go away.
Not if your house is a cement/concrete block structure with a hipped roof and no overhangs, I think.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 AM

172 posts, read 854,218 times
lol.

these posts always crack me up.

classic southwest florida 'honeymoon phase' talk. and from what the other posters say you dont even live here yet..

i see no mention of the jobs, crime,congestion, etc.

yes flowers bloom here all year. just make sure to not step on any anthills while trying to pick them. and forget about sitting on the grass. everyone who isnt warned learns the hard way you cant sit on the grass in florida.

kinda hard to be a beachbum and enjoy sailing when your only choise is working 11 hour days at a retail job making nowhere near a living wage just to keep the lights on.....

and clear waters? i guess, perhaps. if you can look past the dead fish bodies, and garbage. ever heard of red tide?

youre right about one thing there are only two seasons here.

summer and heatwave.heatwave lasts about 9 months out of the year.... im looking forward to being able to 'cool off' in the summer.

'spring' doesnt exist.besides maybe one or two weeks during december or january. during 'spring' youd be able to walk up or down a street and not be drenched in sweat. and thats NOT happening in southwest florida. but thats o.k because you wont be doing much walking anyway. outside of small sections of downtown area. sidewalks are a myth

id like for you to save this post. come to southwest florida for 9 months or a year and see if all this holds true.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
This is a rather cavalier thing to say about something which destroys people's lives and in many instances takes those lives. Clearly you have only experienced the utter devastation of a hurricane in your mind. Trust me, no one looks at the destruction of their homes and their community and says "oh well, at least the beach is awesome".
I feel what you say.....there are a "BUNCH" of rich people on here (making $50k or more per year) living in $200k+ houses and think "EVERYTHING" in Florida is a beach and a great time....well i guess these people don't know what goes on in average places in tha FLA

People like some people that are on this specific thread playing "piano's" live away from any type of real community and want to believe everything is ok for everybody since "they" are not in debt or anything....so they say everything is like living at the beach here....well only the rich live at the beach or the gated communities....so let us real people speak tha truth about real neighborhoodz in Florida

Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,158,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I feel what you say.....there are a "BUNCH" of rich people on here (making $50k or more per year) living in $200k+ houses and think "EVERYTHING" in Florida is a beach and a great time....well i guess these people don't know what goes on in average places in tha FLA

People like some people that are on this specific thread playing "piano's" live away from any type of real community and want to believe everything is ok for everybody since "they" are not in debt or anything....so they say everything is like living at the beach here....well only the rich live at the beach or the gated communities....so let us real people speak tha truth about real neighborhoodz in Florida
$50,000, Rich?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
$50,000, Rich?
Yeah...I'm wondering about that one, too. I WISH 50K was rich! Heck....I wish 100K was rich. I wonder how much it takes to be financially 'rich' these days? I'm rich in the most important things....friends and family.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Yeah...I'm wondering about that one, too. I WISH 50K was rich! Heck....I wish 100K was rich. I wonder how much it takes to be financially 'rich' these days? I'm rich in the most important things....friends and family.
I know a couple, husband is a cop and the wife is a teacher. They make over $100,000 combined with plenty of benefits and have no kids, no debt, drive nice cars but not new and live really a nice life from what I can see. If people manage themselves they can do all right.

A lot of peoples problems they cause themselves then look for someone to blame. I have always thought kids should be taught finance in school right from the start. All of life revolves around money, like it or not and if you don't know anything about it you can really *********rself up quick.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I have always thought kids should be taught finance in school right from the start. All of life revolves around money, like it or not and if you don't know anything about it you can really *********rself up quick.
Heck, parents can start teaching this to their kids at ages 2-3. Everytime you go to the store you don't get a toy. Parents bribe their kids to be good or bribe them to stop whining or complaining. Parents give their kids everything they could ever want by the time they are teenagers...cell phones, name brand clothes, vacations in Cabo....it's silly....A 14 yr old shouldn't have access to daddy's credit card. A college student shouldn't have access to daddy's credit card. You want it...you earn it.

Financial responsibity can be breed at home & kids best examples are their parents. Those who so desperately want to keep up with the Jones are passing it off on to their kids; their kids see it & their kids expect it.

Most of these people who think FL is all sun & sand are living on above average incomes, 401Ks, or 2nd incomes. Or even better, they don't even live here!!! Their reality is not the norm. I don't care if their kids love tennis or they get to go the beach every weekend. Some people in FL don't have the money to give their kids tennis lessons. Some kids in FL don't like the beach. Some people in FL don't like the beach or tennis or golf or live for early bird specials. I don't want to look like I am 75 with alligator skin when I am 40.

There is a harsh reality to FL, especially SW FL. When an average home here runs $225 & the average income is $40k [if that]....it's wrong done here....we don't need to live this lifestyle & we make a very comfortable living...we'll visit the beach...but like someone else posted, we find our happiness in our friends & family who have made the wise choice to never live here. For my family, playing golf 12 months a year or not having to deal with shoveling snow does not compare to our family & friends. Those who love it so badly done here & damn those who don't constantly stress the weather & the beach as why it is just so darn awesome. I have yet to figure out that reasoning. It's seems so sterile & impersonal, but then again, that is so much of the mentality done here anwyay.

Last edited by 121804; 09-28-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Heck, parents can start teaching this to their kids at ages 2-3. Everytime you go to the store you don't get a toy. Parents bribe their kids to be good or bribe them to stop whining or complaining. Parents give their kids everything they could ever want by the time they are teenagers...cell phones, name brand clothes, vacations in Cabo....it's silly....A 14 yr old shouldn't have access to daddy's credit card. A college student shouldn't have access to daddy's credit card. You want it...you earn it.

Financial responsibity can be breed at home & kids best examples are their parents. Those who so desperately want to keep up with the Jones are passing it off on to their kids; their kids see it & their kids expect it.

Most of these people who think FL is all sun & sand are living on above average incomes, 401Ks, or 2nd incomes. Or even better, they don't even live here!!! Their reality is not the norm. I don't care if their kids love tennis or they get to go the beach every weekend. Some people in FL don't have the money to give their kids tennis lessons. Some kids in FL don't like the beach. Some people in FL don't like the beach or tennis or golf or live for early bird specials. I don't want to look like I am 75 with alligator skin when I am 40.

There is a harsh reality to FL, especially SW FL. When an average home here runs $225 & the average income is $40k [if that]....it's wrong done here....we don't need to live this lifestyle & we make a very comfortable living...we'll visit the beach...but like someone else posted, we find our happiness in our friends & family who have made the wise choice to never live here. For my family, playing golf 12 months a year or not having to deal with shoveling snow does not compare to our family & friends. Those who love it so badly done here & damn those who don't constantly stress the weather & the beach as why it is just so darn awesome. I have yet to figure out that reasoning. It's seems so sterile & impersonal, but then again, that is so much of the mentality done here anwyay.
The problem is the parents don't know anything themselves. They live in debt and the kids learn these values. It would take at least a generation to produce any change but it should be taught in schools. Finally they would be teaching something of value with real world applications. Why do you resent being a teacher so much? Wouldn't it make you feel good you may be able to teach a kid something that may actually create a better life for them?

Last edited by macguy; 09-28-2007 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida