Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM

112 posts, read 308,542 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am moving Florida in November and am buying a car this week. In the northeast people love leather seats. What about Floridians? Tell me the good and the bad. Please share. Thanks in advance!!!

Maggie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Same here as there. Just don't need to be HEATED. Oh no.......

Old 06-23-2012, 07:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I won't ever get leather seats in FL. Not after sitting in friend's cars with leather seats when wearing shorts. OUCH. It burns.

When test driving new cars, I was checking out leather vs cloth seats. I got into several cars that were parked next to each other at the dealership. Leather seats were hotter than cloth and the heat stayed longer in the leather seats vs cloth seats.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
If you're in Tampa or points northward, heated seats are actually kind of nice for those few weeks of winter when overnight lows get into the 40s or worse. That way, you don't have to turn on your car heater and get a blast of hot air directly on your eyeballs.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
I live in Tennessee, but May - September temperatures are as hot as Florida's temperatures during those months. I have black leather seats in a black 2008 Honda Accord and they're perfectly fine even when the car's been sitting for an hour in direct sun, even when temperatures reach toward 100 F. And I'm not a "hot person". The car doesn't have cooled seats, but does have an amazing A/C. So what I'm saying, depends on the car. Leather seats can be considered even in Florida.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magemom View Post
Hello All,
I am moving Florida in November and am buying a car this week. In the northeast people love leather seats. What about Floridians? Tell me the good and the bad. Please share. Thanks in advance!!!

Maggie

Leather seats are no different than any other seats here. They get hot in the summer and cold in the winter just as cloth seats. Leather seats actually help reduce dust, and are easier to maintain with Florida rain and dust. Cloth seats would not be ideal in Florida, they just collect dust, harder to maintain when wet, and you can be at a downpour anytime in Florida, they get hot and cold as leather seats but leather seats have heaters(Which I actually use when the temperature goes below 70). So get the leather seats!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Leather seats are no different than any other seats here. They get hot in the summer and cold in the winter just as cloth seats. Leather seats actually help reduce dust, and are easier to maintain with Florida rain and dust. Cloth seats would not be ideal in Florida, they just collect dust, harder to maintain when wet, and you can be at a downpour anytime in Florida, they get hot and cold as leather seats but leather seats have heaters(Which I actually use when the temperature goes below 70). So get the leather seats!
Up in TN we don't heat our leather seats at 70... but whatever floats your boat. They are a must, though, in any area with even a shadow of a winter (: Which is all of Florida but like Miami, Key West area.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Up in TN we don't heat our leather seats at 70... but whatever floats your boat. They are a must, though, in any area with even a shadow of a winter (: Which is all of Florida but like Miami, Key West area.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you're in Tampa or points northward, heated seats are actually kind of nice for those few weeks of winter when overnight lows get into the 40s or worse. That way, you don't have to turn on your car heater and get a blast of hot air directly on your eyeballs.
Agree.

I swim laps most mornings, no matter what the weather, 12 months a year. I have leather seats with heaters and they are a godsend for me at 6am on a cold winter's morning.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Get leather and put nice seat covers on them. The problem in FL is not only do they get frying-pan HOT, but you sweat all over them. They also rip easier than cloth. I've had both, and the leather looks nicer, but the cloth is more comfortable. Always had to cover the leather ones, just for comfort sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida