Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM

20 posts, read 52,815 times

Advertisements

Ok! I am 20 years old and moving to Florida for school hopefully in January, August at the latest. I have a few options and I can't seem to choose.
  • Pensacola
  • Fort Walton Beach
  • St. Pete
  • Jacksonville
  • Panama City Beach
  • Tampa

My first priority is it has to be SAFE and then an awesome beach. I would also like a lot of young people. Affordable housing and jobs isn't an issue. I know a lot of people do not like PCB, but I am young and I think that is going to be the most fun out of all of these.

Boca Raton is my first choice, but I can't really go anymore south than St. Pete. My grandparents are old and that's too far to be away from them.

I would really appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Panama City Beach is pretty one dimensional and doesn't have much going on there besides the beach party aspect. I think the "All Spring Break, All the Time" lifestyle could get old pretty quick. I'd recommend Jacksonville because it's a larger city with more diverse things to do, has nice beaches and is largely safe. Jacksonville like any larger city has bad areas, but none are near school (UNF?), where you would live, anywhere near the beach or anyplace in between. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 AM

168 posts, read 394,447 times
Well.....First..you do have good taste in the areas you have picked and second, too cool you are looking out for your grandparents!

St. Pete and school?

Where? All I can think of is Eckerd College, a couple of private christian colleges and SPJC....if you are looking at USF and want to live somewhere safe to live, and don't mind a not too bad commute with gorgeous views I could steer you to Eden Isle off of Snell Isle. There is an apt complex there right on the water, nice two street island, a little pricey but worth it for the peace of mind. (My first apt was here and I grew up across the street from these apts and still have friends on the island, and I am ancient, could be your mom!) I think they are called The Snell Isle Club Apts. If you want to live on the beach and have a longer commute, then Clearwater Beach is my favorite.

Also, if you are looking at USF....reallllly consider neighborhoods. It breaks my heart but the crime rate is what keeps me from relocating there and it is my home town area (the Tampa Bay area) or encouraging my sons to attend there. I just don't like the stress of being on guard all the time.

UNF is a good school in Jax but I am not thrilled with living in the area unless you stay East and somewhat South of the campus. I don't think it is an exciting area which means you are probably going to be very bored. Just guessing.

PCB -- the Emerald coast....very pretty. UWF nice campus. Close to Alabama, Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.

We are relocating to Gator country in a month (very excited) and you have the Atlantic on one coast and the Gulf of Mexico on the other coast. This isn't a beach area but it is very pretty and if you are in school (Santa Fe or UF) you'll have fun while you are there. There are also the springs throughout the area and Cedar key is a not too far distance from the West side of Gainesville which is the safer area of town in the Gainesville area.

Hope this helps! =D

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM

162 posts, read 301,715 times
Surprised no one said Jupiter??

Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaherbgirl View Post
Well.....First..you do have good taste in the areas you have picked and second, too cool you are looking out for your grandparents!

St. Pete and school?

Where? All I can think of is Eckerd College, a couple of private christian colleges and SPJC....if you are looking at USF and want to live somewhere safe to live, and don't mind a not too bad commute with gorgeous views I could steer you to Eden Isle off of Snell Isle. There is an apt complex there right on the water, nice two street island, a little pricey but worth it for the peace of mind. (My first apt was here and I grew up across the street from these apts and still have friends on the island, and I am ancient, could be your mom!) I think they are called The Snell Isle Club Apts. If you want to live on the beach and have a longer commute, then Clearwater Beach is my favorite.

Also, if you are looking at USF....reallllly consider neighborhoods. It breaks my heart but the crime rate is what keeps me from relocating there and it is my home town area (the Tampa Bay area) or encouraging my sons to attend there. I just don't like the stress of being on guard all the time.

UNF is a good school in Jax but I am not thrilled with living in the area unless you stay East and somewhat South of the campus. I don't think it is an exciting area which means you are probably going to be very bored. Just guessing.

PCB -- the Emerald coast....very pretty. UWF nice campus. Close to Alabama, Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.

We are relocating to Gator country in a month (very excited) and you have the Atlantic on one coast and the Gulf of Mexico on the other coast. This isn't a beach area but it is very pretty and if you are in school (Santa Fe or UF) you'll have fun while you are there. There are also the springs throughout the area and Cedar key is a not too far distance from the West side of Gainesville which is the safer area of town in the Gainesville area.

Hope this helps! =D
Thank you for all the information and input. USF has a campus in St. Pete, which is why I was looking there. I have also heard that Jax is boring. PCB is where I would really like to go, but the FSUPC campus only takes upper level students and I would only be transferring as a sophmore. I would have to go to GCCC, which I wouldn't mind, but I would rather just transfer to a University.
Do you know anything about Pensacola?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Forget the beach, highly overrated, novelty gets old real quick, boring, move to Tallahassee.
Cant guarantee a crime free area anywhere in Fla.
PS. if the beach is that important i'd keep the search between Pansacola and Panama city, with areas of Ft Walton and Destin being given attention.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Forget the beach, highly overrated, novelty gets old real quick, boring, move to Tallahassee.
Cant guarantee a crime free area anywhere in Fla.
PS. if the beach is that important i'd keep the search between Pansacola and Panama city, with areas of Ft Walton and Destin being given attention.

And then there are some of us who go to the beach almost everyday because it is ever changing and never boring. I could live in a city anywhere, but I can't go to an ocean everywhere. I think there are some of us that are just beach people. Up North us beach people were on the rivers and lakes as often as we could and just always dreamed of boating, surfing, and living somewhere with a beach on an ocean. some of us make our dreams come true. Been here 30 + years and still find the beach exciting.

From your list, I would suggest Tampa because there is a college and young people, a good entertainment area, beautiful beaches, theme park, awesome museum, and is close to Naples compared to any of the Panhandle or Atlantic cities. But if you want waves you have to choose East Coast on the Ocean.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
And then there are some of us who go to the beach almost everyday because it is ever changing and never boring. I could live in a city anywhere, but I can't go to an ocean everywhere. I think there are some of us that are just beach people. Up North us beach people were on the rivers and lakes as often as we could and just always dreamed of boating, surfing, and living somewhere with a beach on an ocean. some of us make our dreams come true. Been here 30 + years and still find the beach exciting.

From your list, I would suggest Tampa because there is a college and young people, a good entertainment area, beautiful beaches, theme park, awesome museum, and is close to Naples compared to any of the Panhandle or Atlantic cities. But if you want waves you have to choose East Coast on the Ocean.
Just for clarification, since someone ponted out that Tampa doesn't have beaches in a PM, the beaches I referred to above are in the general area of Tampa, You've got all the beaches south like Passe Grille that I love and it is just a short drive up to Clearwater from Tampa area., too.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

This is perfect! So true!

I think I have decided that Tampa is too far from the beach, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida