Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Tampa side is better for Justin in Florida?
Tampa 3 15.79%
Miami 5 26.32%
Some other place in Florida 4 21.05%
Nowhere in Florida! You will hate it! 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times

Advertisements

i'm calling dibs on Clearwater if i get there first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 PM

114 posts, read 244,947 times
Think twice before coming down here.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,324 times
...and why is that?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
...and why is that?
If you look at her posts, she lived in NYC, thought moving to Florida would be great, moved down and couldn't even get a job at a gas station so she had to move back. She didn't make it, so obviously that means that no one else can either.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:38 AM

7 posts, read 8,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmjb View Post
I'm somewhat of a nomad. I'm almost 38 and I've lived in quite a few places. I've gotten the moving bug once again and am trying to see where I might like/fit in the best in Florida or if at all. I plan to stop moving at 40 and at that age I will pick the best place out of all the places I've lived and not move again. Florida is one of the last spots and one of the places on my list that I've always wanted to try. I'd committ to at least 1 year as I do at least 1 year to find out what I really think of a place/city. I'm from Portland Oregon. I've lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, Scottsdale AZ, Seattle WA, Dallas TX, San Francisco CA, and even a small stint in upstate NY. I have liked L.A. area the best so far. The least was Texas as I found it a cultural shock and the mentality just WAY to different than the west coast. But I did have fun in Texas and people were nice, jus felt ALOT different than people there and the vibe was not really me.

I'm almost 38 but feel 31. I'm not a fan of humidity. I am well aware that this is something in Florida that I won't get away from at least half the year. I'm hoping that living right by the water on the beach might help a lil. But pros and cons to every place I've read alot on the forums and the more I read about the Miami side the more I feel I'd best be suited on the Tampa side. So I'm looking to find a nice beach town close to the Tampa area. I'm not totally sure on this and am open to hearing why or why not to live on the Miami side versus Tampa side.

Some things I've read and the questions I have. Miami seems to be put down alot educationally. Being from Portland I'd like to be around people that are somewhat like minded. I'm not an elitist by any means lol. Is Tampa and it's people anymore educated and not as superficial? I still want to look good but material and looks as I age are not as important. But being gay I do still like to look good and enjoy people watching and seeing attractive people too. Also I'm independent but lean republican and go to church. So also I've read that Tampa area is also more this way compare to Miami. I also get the feeling Miami is more dangerous and from what I've read it sounds like people are pretty rude? Is Tampa side this way too or better more relaxed easy going? I'm from the West coast remember

What is a nice beach town close to Tampa that is not full of old people or is this a myth that everyone in Florida is old? I'm fine with some. I'm not spring chicken myself but... Also not looking for party central and teens and kids, but some of that's cool. I like a good mix as well as friendly people to meet around my age cuz I'd be new to the area. I'd like a safe area as well. Also I'm really into the beach and water and I've heard the better prettier beaches are on the Tampa side. From what I can tell the Tampa side also doesn't deal as much with hurricanes or evil weather ya? And is the Tampa side any less humid by chance than the Miami side? And can someone REALLY break it down as to when the humidity starts and when it ends? Like mid May to Oct or? And are there days in the summer here and there that you get a break and it's NOT humid? And where's the coolest, breeziest, less humid beach town within Tampa area? Also any tornadoes or? And lightning? I heard there's alot?

Just looking for a clean, safe beachy area with blue water with a nice mix of people. Gay, straight, 20's, 30's, 40's. And a few older and younger is fine too. Of course I know I can't have it all and this might not even exsist anywhere in Florida but jus trying to find the closest match for me I know Tampa is not as gay as Miami but that's fine. I'm not totally all about being gay. It's just a small part of who I am but I'm not looking for redneck mean people either. I'm more libertarian. I'd like to be close to Tampa as I'd prolly be working somewhere IN Tampa. So not sure what traffic is like as in what the commute would be if I lived in say St. Petersburg or are there lot's of jobs in St. Petersburg area too?... But so if that's to far jus trying to find the closest nicest beach with all I stated that WOULD be within daily commute to downtown Tampa and work. I'm jus middle class at most and would be renting a condo or apt. Studio or 1 bed. As long as it's blocks to the beach or even right on it. Under $1000 would be best. Is this doeable? Any ideas, thoughts, on ALL issues would be appreciated!
Any luck? I am 60, in Palm Springs, Ca and craving a more fiscally conservative, gay friendly area, too. After a year in a non-tax state maybe try some other cheaper countries to stretch my $$. Just mentally exploring now.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:58 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
...and why is that?
The weather is the worst that's why sly.

Old 11-10-2020, 06:45 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
OP, I say this genuinely - from reading your post, I honestly feel Florida is not for you. You mentioned being happiest in LA. I think that is your sweet spot. Everywhere in Florida is VERY humid, and we get a lot of rain. Florida is filled with older people and tourists, especially anywhere "beachy". That said, if you still want to try Florida then maybe St. Pete is for you. It is one of the more liberal cities in Florida with a higher gay population. Since it is only for one year, you can at least say you tried it.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2020, 06:31 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Believe it or not here in Charlotte County, Punta Gorda I notice a lot of gay people, more than I thought when I moved here. I don't remember Naples being like that when I lived there years past. Maybe people are more open about it these days.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:35 AM

285 posts, read 229,064 times
Oh great.........an eight year old thread ?????????????????????

Old 11-11-2020, 04:39 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OP, I say this genuinely - from reading your post, I honestly feel Florida is not for you. You mentioned being happiest in LA. I think that is your sweet spot. Everywhere in Florida is VERY humid, and we get a lot of rain. Florida is filled with older people and tourists, especially anywhere "beachy". That said, if you still want to try Florida then maybe St. Pete is for you. It is one of the more liberal cities in Florida with a higher gay population. Since it is only for one year, you can at least say you tried it.

Good luck!
Sweetie, this was posted 8 years ago....
Bless your heart..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida