Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM

23 posts, read 98,336 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody
I started a thread called "If you could live anywhere in Florida???". Everyone was very helpful and friendly, so thank you very much. Now that it is decided that we are going to try to relocate to Melbourne in the next year, I have some questions for any Home/Unschoolers out there in Florida. Our son is 3 and will be homeschooled, Unschooled really if we can get away with it in Florida. We are from Montana, which is very liberal as far as homeschooling goes. All you have to do is register with the school board, but there is no standardized testing or portfolio keeping required. We really want to Unschool him and want to know how you Florida Unschoolers deal with the requirements set by the state as far as keeping a portfolio and it being judged by the public school system. I have researched the homeschooling laws and it also looks like we would have to subject him to standardized tests taken with a certified teacher. We hate conforming and don't want our son to have to conform to others standards, especially with the horrible "no child left behind" crap.
Any Unschoolers/Homeschoolers out there who could give me some hints as to how you deal with the seemingly "think inside the box" laws in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Unschooling?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Lightbulb New Term for me

What Is Unschooling?

This is also known as interest driven, child-led, natural, organic, eclectic, or self-directed learning. Lately, the term "unschooling" has come to be associated with the type of homeschooling that doesn't use a fixed curriculum. When pressed, I define unschooling as allowing children as much freedom to learn in the world, as their parents can comfortably bear. The advantage of this method is that it doesn't require you, the parent, to become someone else, i.e. a professional teacher pouring knowledge into child-vessels on a planned basis. Instead you live and learn together, pursuing questions and interests as they arise and using conventional schooling on an "on demand" basis, if at all. This is the way we learn before going to school and the way we learn when we leave school and enter the world of work. So, for instance, a young child's interest in hot rods can lead him to a study of how the engine works (science), how and when the car was built (history and business), who built and designed the car (biography), etc. Certainly these interests can lead to reading texts, taking courses, or doing projects, but the important difference is that these activities were chosen and engaged in freely by the learner. They were not dictated to the learner through curricular mandate to be done at a specific time and place, though parents with a more hands-on approach to unschooling certainly can influence and guide their children's choices.

Unschooling, for lack of a better term (until people start to accept living as part and parcel of learning), is the natural way to learn. However, this does not mean unschoolers do not take traditional classes or use curricular materials when the student, or parents and children together, decide that this is how they want to do it. Learning to read or do quadratic equations are not "natural" processes, but unschoolers nonetheless learn them when it makes sense to them to do so, not because they have reached a certain age or are compelled to do so by arbitrary authority. Therefore it isn't unusual to find unschoolers who are barely eight-years-old studying astronomy or who are ten-years-old and just learning to read.

What is Unschooling?

Last edited by sunrico90; 10-01-2007 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: added source

Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 PM

THANK YOU SUNRICO!!!
You're awesome, I'm so glad you posted this.
Absolutely right on the money.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
More info: Florida Homeschool / Unschool E-Mail Lists & Free Newsletters (Page One) - LeapingFromTheBox.com

Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM

49 posts, read 179,991 times
We use Florida Unschoolers as an umbrella school for our younger kids. We're not really unschoolers but are very eclectic.

You do NOT have to take a standardized test...we never have. My oldest does a a standardized test but my two middle kids have always done portfolio reviews.

Go to this page for contact info on FL Unschoolers.

Florida Umbrella Schools - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling in Florida

And if you haven't found it already visit the FPEA site for more information about Florida requirements.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,250 times
Isn't "unschooling" what kids and parents should be doing anyway, when they are not in real school? When did it become fashionable to rely only on the government to tech your kids. When did it become acceptable to allow kids not to read on their own?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Isn't "unschooling" what kids and parents should be doing anyway, when they are not in real school? When did it become fashionable to rely only on the government to tech your kids. When did it become acceptable to allow kids not to read on their own?
When the communist Government stole our tax money to create compulsory education. Public school is there to both educate and push propaganda to kids. It's also a great way to use the natural concern for the well-being of children to coerce taxpayers to not want tax relief.

From experience I learned more at home than in elementary school+junior high. Only in the last two years of high school did I learn something new. College was a lot better. A friend who was homeschooled ended up going to MIT so he didn't do so badly after all. Parents who are educated and well off seem to do the best job with home schooling. I know that from experience learning is best away from a formal classroom. The closest I ever got to that was in third grade when my teacher would conduct class inside and outside and we had basic science as well. The rest of the teachers were more for classroom order, and I did not learn anything other than how to shoot spit balls and capture roaches.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 AM

199 posts, read 219,763 times
Even the best schools can be tough places to send a kid. They pick up sloppy or rude habits so quickly, no matter how highly rated the school. There is a basic lack of common sense and manners the majority of parents transmit to their kids these days.

Homeschooling is a great option for those who can do it. Our daughter loves tennis, so we are setting things up so she can be homeschooled during the day and meet other tennis kids in the afternoon at the tennis club. She gets a better education yet still socializes with other kids.

I couldn't imagine her sitting behind a desk 5-6 hours a day like I had to do in school.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpooch View Post
We use Florida Unschoolers as an umbrella school for our younger kids. We're not really unschoolers but are very eclectic.

You do NOT have to take a standardized test...we never have. My oldest does a a standardized test but my two middle kids have always done portfolio reviews.

Go to this page for contact info on FL Unschoolers.

Florida Umbrella Schools - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling in Florida

And if you haven't found it already visit the FPEA site for more information about Florida requirements.

Thanks so much for the link. You don't even know how much this helps. I'm so excited that I can Unschool in Florida and have so much support in the way of record keeping with the umbrella schools. Florida Unschoolers sounds great. I'm glad I won't have to "test" my kid. The portfolio isn't really bothering me, I will want to keep a record of my child's growth and development anyway. I just thought it would be difficult to deal with others judging it. I must have misunderstood the requirements on standardized testing, I'm glad to hear we won't have to do that.
I'm off to continue my research.
Peace everybody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: