Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:41 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times

Advertisements

Because we have a very large number of tourists that visit our state and many people asking about particular areas, let’s describe or best town/city attraction(s).

Navarre, beautiful white sand beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 AM

25 posts, read 117,586 times
Miami Lakes...home to Don Shula, Senator Bob Graham, KC & great year round golfing at Shula's Golf Resort & Country Club.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:25 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Default Come to Orlando....

Here is a list of the obvious tourist sites:

Disney World (and various theme parks)
Sea World
Universal Studios
Wet n' Wild
Gatorland

Here are some not-so-obvious things to do:

Downtown Orlando nightlife

Winter Park sidewalk shops, wine tasting, coffee shops, and pubs

Orlando Science Center - kids love this place, very interactive

Boating / water skiing / fishing on Winter Park chain of lakes, Buttler chain of lakes, Dora Chain of lakes, and Harris Chain of Lakes.

see Mount Dora

Rock Springs - tubing and snorkling

Wekeiva Springs - snorkling and canoeing

St. Johns River and Blue Springs

Airboat rides through the St. Johns River swamp (looks like everglades) just east of Orlando

Rent a Harley and see the teritory from a bike.

40 minutes from Cocoa Beach - great surfing

40 minutes from Cape Canaveral - (one of my favorite, this is a must for any space enthusiest!)

40 minutes from the Canaveral National Seashore, for those who want to see natural Florida beaches without condos in the background; also for those who wish to do a little nude sunbathing, walk to the very end past the last parking lot.

Windsurfing and jetskis at Kelly Park (intercoastal waterway) - 40 minutes to Merrit Island

Speed Night at the Bithlo racetrack - 1/4 mile drag strip and racetrack; bring your hot-rod and race it!

Orlando Magic game

UCF Knights football

Rent a real machinegun and shoot it at Shoot Straight in Apopka

Go-cart racing

Bike or rollerblade the West Orange Trail

Winter Park Art Festival (seasonal)

Mt. Dora Art Festival (seasonal)

Downtown Disney Art Festival (seasonal)

Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times
If you want a quaint little town on the harbor or take a boat ride up the Peace River then Punta Gorda is for you! Here you have the old Florida lifestyle. Lot's of natural beauty abounds in this area.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:54 PM

91 posts, read 336,936 times
Wow, this is great stuff, thanks!! I will definitely make plans. Cape Canaveral is great! We were there when John Glenn took off, it was fabulous! We felt and heard the sonic boom when this past shuttle flew home, last week.
Bamboo, what a great pic! Hope all is going well with you!! On our ventures out here, the tourists hit Ft. Myers beach, from what I understand, but we went and it is fun with the pier and the beach with shopping and stuff. Sanibel and Captiva Isles are very beautiful, with bike rentals and trails, with the lighthouse at the end. Good food out there, also! You need to pay $6 toll to Sanibel, though.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:18 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Did anyone mention Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven? We went there and it's absolutely beautiful. (Not a Floridian here, just my opinion) That is so neat that you were there when John Glenn took off! I remember watching it on tv and it was so exciting.

It sounds like you're planning a vacation to Fla. Have a great time!

Yes, Bam always posts such cool pics.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 PM

91 posts, read 336,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Did anyone mention Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven? We went there and it's absolutely beautiful. (Not a Floridian here, just my opinion) That is so neat that you were there when John Glenn took off! I remember watching it on tv and it was so exciting.

It sounds like you're planning a vacation to Fla. Have a great time!

Yes, Bam always posts such cool pics.
I just moved here. I am just so excited, I could burst. ALL these fun things to do!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Solomon's Castle in Ona. An absolute must see. Entire place is made from/filled with recycled items. The whole way out there I was rolling my eyes because I was sure it was going to be lame. I was captivated.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie8689 View Post
I just moved here. I am just so excited, I could burst. ALL these fun things to do!!!
It is fun to explore everyhting. We make a point of going somewhere new at least once a month. We've already hit 6 different beaches and I intend on hitting them all!
Central Florida has tons of beautiful lakes and great bass fishing!

Old 09-27-2006, 11:53 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,182 times
Talking Doing good down in Punta Gorda :)

Hi Jackie, everything is fine here
Just waiting for a buyer to come to see the house this afternoon. He's from Jersey but has a condo in Ft. Lauderdale and now wants another, yes ANOTHER home here on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida