Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,304 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Spring Hill Florida. How is living on Mariner Street. We do not have any children but Have Two Basset hounds. I know we will have to have a fenced in yard of course but was wanting to know a little more about the crime, traffic, people in the area? Attractions, Utilities etc... Anything you can tell me about the Mariner Blvd area of Spring Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Welcome. Where on Mariner? Mariner Blvd runs North/South from Cortez Blvd (SR50) to County Line Road which cuts through Spring Hill. Some of it is commercial with a residential mix, some is strictly residential and some strictly commercial. I think you will find the area to be pleasant though. Crime is crime. We have it all over Spring Hill.
Take a look and see what is happening/happened in your area:

Hernando County Sheriff's Home Page - Sheriff Al Nienhuis

Also right here on CD is a wealth of opinions and information. CD has this:

//www.city-data.com/city/Spring-Hill-Florida.html

Good luck on your move and feel free to ask any questions. Not too many Spring Hill people here on CD.

Its a busy road. Traffic noise may be an problem, but if not already done, a good windows would help.

Take a trip around your address via Google Earth.

Where are you coming from?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 13,374 times
Mariner Blvd is very congested throughout the day and is a one of the main arteries north and south through Spring Hill. Its equivalent is Spring Hill drive which runs east and west and intersects Mariner blvd near the center of town. Personally I would avoid residing on either of these streets cause they tend to be consistently busy with traffic. There are WAY too many other opportunities for housing to choose from residentially to settle for these two streets.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetindy View Post
We are moving to Spring Hill Florida. How is living on Mariner Street. We do not have any children but Have Two Basset hounds. I know we will have to have a fenced in yard of course but was wanting to know a little more about the crime, traffic, people in the area? Attractions, Utilities etc... Anything you can tell me about the Mariner Blvd area of Spring Hill.
My family and I lived in Spring Hill for about a decade. We just moved, but I can tell you a little about it.

Attractions - Spring Hill has most of the chain-type restaurants and stores. (Target, Kohl's, JCP, Sears, etc.) It also has 3 Wal-Marts and a Sam's Club. There are 2 movie theaters - the "cheap" theater and the more expensive one which plays a lot of new releases. Weeki Wachee Springs and Buccaneer Bay are also there, so you will have to go check those places out as they are kind of the "theme parks" (I use that term VERY loosely) of the area. IMO, the real attractions of the area are the natural ones … the Weeki Wachee River and the Weeki Wachee Preserve. If you are into nature, you will want to check these out. There is also Pine Island, but I personally think that it is gross there. They pumped in sand to make a beach and the water is very shallow with a muddy bottom and water that is too warm and frequently closed to swimmers because it is filled with bacteria. It does make for great sunsets, though.

Utilities - Generally, the cost of living in Spring Hill is pretty cheap. Our utilities there were fairly inexpensive compared to other areas. A lot will depend on the size of home you have and how well insulated it is.

Crime - You have to watch out for certain areas. I lived in the 34608 area code and HATED it there. We were right near Delta Woods Park. We actually had a drive-by shooting occur on our street a few weeks before we moved. The area has less violet crime than the national average, but more "petty" crimes. (I got my information from a site called neighborhood scout.)

Traffic - There is very little traffic in Spring Hill. I could get anywhere in about 10 minutes from my house because the area isn't too populated and traffic is not a problem.

People - Spring Hill is very blue-collar. Retail, construction, restaurants, etc. tend to be the jobs most folks have in the area … unless they are commuting. The people are nice and down-to-earth. There seems to be more Hispanics and people of color moving into the area. It's definitely become less "white" and more "diverse" since we first moved there.

Mariner Blvd. - The one thing I know about Mariner is that it frequently opens up with sinkholes, but you probably already knew that since it is widely known in the area. Hopefully you paid the extra money for sinkhole coverage if you needed homeowner's insurance … just in case. We had a sinkhole and it was a nightmare. We were very thankful we had coverage because we were able to have our home repaired.

Good luck! Spring Hill wasn't the right fit for our family, but a lot of people do enjoy living there.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,317,453 times
Spring Hill is not that good. It's your typical below average suburban town. Cookie cutter.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM

All one has to do is to do a Google search on images for "SPRING HILL FL" and one can see for themselves that SH is not as some folks here describe it. Far from below average. The fact that we've had a 42 percent increase in population from 2000-2010 says a lot to me. The fact that the population here was about 6500 in 1980 and 31,117 in 1990 (a 381 percent increase) and an additional 122 percent increase in population took place from 1990-2000 tells me that a lot of people are attracted to this "typical below average suburban town".

It would be nice if some of these posters actually knew what they were talking about.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 AM

19 posts, read 57,428 times
We moved to zip 34608 in April 2011. We live in the Seven Hills HOA community, and its been nice. Peaceful and clean.

I used to read many threads on here before moving into Spring Hill, many from Spring Hillian and FloridaGirl but thought today I would join and give my own feed back since I have been living here over 2 years now.

Only issue I have since moving here is the damn price of sink hole coverage. When we moved in April 2011 it was $1150 including sink hole coverage, last April it went upto $1780 and I dread what it will be April 2013, my guess around $2500. This has left us and many others with a choice, drop it or claim on it. Appart from the Citizens insurance scam all has been great. We love living here.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM

It is those "claims" that keep causing the sinkhole rates to increase.

There are a few factors to consider before claiming a sinkhole. #1 would be that it could become very
difficult to sell your property in the future since it was deemed "sinkhole property".

I am pleased to know you are enjoying 34608. There is a lot to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
We moved to zip 34608 in April 2011. We live in the Seven Hills HOA community, and its been nice. Peaceful and clean.

I used to read many threads on here before moving into Spring Hill, many from Spring Hillian and FloridaGirl but thought today I would join and give my own feed back since I have been living here over 2 years now.

Only issue I have since moving here is the damn price of sink hole coverage. When we moved in April 2011 it was $1150 including sink hole coverage, last April it went upto $1780 and I dread what it will be April 2013, my guess around $2500. This has left us and many others with a choice, drop it or claim on it. Appart from the Citizens insurance scam all has been great. We love living here.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 AM

19 posts, read 57,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It is those "claims" that keep causing the sinkhole rates to increase.

There are a few factors to consider before claiming a sinkhole. #1 would be that it could become very
difficult to sell your property in the future since it was deemed "sinkhole property".

I am pleased to know you are enjoying 34608. There is a lot to enjoy.

Thanks.

Received a notice from Citizens yesterday in the mail, it basically was another "warning" that come renewal in April 2013 my premiums will rise and all my benefits again cut in half, same as last year.
I have noticed a trend around here, most are coming to cross roads. Drop sink hole coverage or make a claim then drop it. I see the later occuring more often now.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 AM

My neighbor just pulled that scam with his insurance co. (not citizens). He knew they were going to cancel him, so at the last moment he filed a sink hole claim and now contractually they cant drop him for 5 or 10 years. One or the other. He had the holes fixed and pocketed the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeybastard View Post
Thanks.

Received a notice from Citizens yesterday in the mail, it basically was another "warning" that come renewal in April 2013 my premiums will rise and all my benefits again cut in half, same as last year.
I have noticed a trend around here, most are coming to cross roads. Drop sink hole coverage or make a claim then drop it. I see the later occuring more often now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: