Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 AM

7 posts, read 6,935 times

Advertisements

After turning the big "40"... you view life a lot differently. The wife and I recently took the kids on vacation to Tampa and Orlando. We had a wonderful time. We stopped in the Palm Coast area on the way home and love the beautiful miles of beaches. I have always wanted to live on or near the beach. Growing up in So Cal, beaches were an integral part of the family bonding experience. My wife grew up in the Brunswick, Ga. area and she grew up with the salt in her nose as well. I would be happy if I never see an ounce of snow again.
Driving the 6-8 hours to enjoy the beaches can be monotonous at times, especially if you want to just go for the weekend. We have looked at housing all up and down the Palm Coast area and are wondering why such a beautiful area has unbelievable low housing prices. The price of homes here in the mountains verses homes in Florida is a lot more expensive. Moving to Florida we could easily afford a home and still enjoy the weather and beaches with our children.
Working at the paper mill, I see a lot of older employees getting ready to retire and they have worked their life away in the mill. Shortly after retiring they usually wind up in poor health and have passed away due to a life of working in extreme conditions and don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
We are seriously considering a move into the northeast section of Florida, but I'm not quitting a job, if i don't have a guaranteed job lined up. Our other plan is to also continue our education. We both gave up college early in life to raise families and work to support them. Our little one is starting Kindergarten this year and the wife is ready to continue that education full time.
Any thoughts, comments or info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_J View Post
The wife and I recently took the kids on vacation to Tampa and Orlando. We had a wonderful time. We stopped in the Palm Coast area on the way home and love the beautiful miles of beaches. I have always wanted to live on or near the beach. Growing up in So Cal, beaches were an integral part of the family bonding experience. My wife grew up in the Brunswick, Ga. area and she grew up with the salt in her nose as well. I would be happy if I never see an ounce of snow again.
Driving the 6-8 hours to enjoy the beaches can be monotonous at times, especially if you want to just go for the weekend. We have looked at housing all up and down the Palm Coast area and are wondering why such a beautiful area has unbelievable low housing prices. The price of homes here in the mountains verses homes in Florida is a lot more expensive. Moving to Florida we could easily afford a home and still enjoy the weather and beaches with our children.
You are answering your own questions, Its paradise in Florida and you aint getting any younger.

PS. how much snow could you possibly get in Brunswick, Ga?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
I think the OP lives in western NC now. They get some snow.

Those lower priced homes also come with lower priced jobs. Wages in FL are no where near as high as in some parts of the country. So before even considering a move, check salaries first. You may find it's a wash as far as home value to wage is concerned.

If you do a search on city data you'll find lots of opinion on Palm Coast and why it's a little cheaper than the other areas, mostly having to do with remoteness to things.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 AM

326 posts, read 949,724 times
I don't own a home here. But I've looked at real estate all over the state in a "maybe someday" kind of way. While the real estate may seem reasonable, you may think differently once you start researching taxes and insurance. But I don't know what it's like in NC so it may not come as a shock to you.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Its a rather 6 of one half a dozen of the other, beautiful weather 12 months a year, beaches everywhere, what more do you need to describe paradise east or paradise west.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM

My marriage and my children were never mistakes, what I regret is waiting so long to decide whether or not to move to Florida...

Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Living here is not the same as vacationing here. Get that out of your head right now.

The key here will be job(s). If you can get full time employment that will allow you a comfortable life then come on down.

First thing-take off the rose colored glasses.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Living here is not the same as vacationing here. Get that out of your head right now.

The key here will be job(s). If you can get full time employment that will allow you a comfortable life then come on down.

First thing-take off the rose colored glasses.
I haven't wore "rose colored glasses" in a very long time... I have been in the workforce since I was 15, joined the US Army at 17, spent almost 7 years travelling around the world and seeing the best and worst places on God's green earth. I have had some great jobs and some "not so" great jobs. I guess when I mentioned that i wasn't quitting a job without a guaranteed job, just totally skipped your mind, kinda like the "peanuts characters", when all they heard was "wahhhwomp, womp woooomp whaaaaa" from the adults... anywho thank you for your feedback...

Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
I love living in FL but it is not for everyone. Some people can't take the humidity. If you could find a job then I say to give it a try. I moved to FL in the early 80's and never regretted it.

Like someone said it isn't like being on vacation. When I was planning to move here I had the thought that everyone was tan and went to the beach all the time. It seemed that the only ones that were tan were the vacationers.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Florida is a wonderful place to vacation and can be a great place to live if you are lucky enough to be financially secure. Good paying jobs are hard to find, the schools are not in the same league as schools up North, and the heat and humidity bother some people, but if these things don't apply to you, it is like living in paradise. We've been here a year now and are thoroughly enjoying our new home state. I wish you the best and hope you will be as happy as we are when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida