Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
There are many nice, safe subdivisions but I am not sure on the price point in regards to everything else you want.
I would not move to Sanford as the person who lives in Canada suggested, I think there are many nicer areas.
Traffic in many area will be high so look at where the schools will be and where work will be and then choose housing accordingly.
I don't think Sanford was a bad suggestion since it is right next to the area the OP said her job will be located.

Are you saying that someone who has lived in FL, and moved away is no longer qualified to to give advice and opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I don't think Sanford was a bad suggestion since it is right next to the area the OP said her job will be located.

Are you saying that someone who has lived in FL, and moved away is no longer qualified to to give advice and opinions?
No, I am saying that I so not think that Sanford is the nicest area up that way. This is coming from someone who lived in Sanford as opposed to the person who suggested it who never lived in Sanford.

I didn't think my post was that complex, "I would not move to Sanford as the person who lives in Canada suggested, I think there are many nicer areas.". I gave my reasoning right there, "...I think there are many nicer areas."

Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
No, I am saying that I so not think that Sanford is the nicest area up that way. This is coming from someone who lived in Sanford as opposed to the person who suggested it who never lived in Sanford.

I didn't think my post was that complex, "I would not move to Sanford as the person who lives in Canada suggested, I think there are many nicer areas.". I gave my reasoning right there, "...I think there are many nicer areas."
I lived in Sanford, actually, right on the border of Sanford/Lake Mary (near Sir Lawrence and Lake Mary Blvd.) I agree with you, Mike, 100%.. Sanford sucks.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:

I didn't think your post was complex. You've brought up in a couple of your post recently that another poster does not live here. It just seemed like you where discrediting someones opinion because they no longer live in the state.

I personally don't care for Sanford or Lake Mary. Heathrow seems very nice, but I'm not sure how much house the OP could get on their budget.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
How did you base your home purchase price? Hope you based that on Insurance and Property Taxes included as well. You'll probably be surprised how much insurance costs here.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaidiots View Post
Good luck! I am from NY and have regretted coming here. Reason I do not leave is because of the market condition unable to sell my property. The state gov. ruined by rick scott is ruining this state to unlivable conditions. Well again good luck and welcome to the mosquito infected,swamp fever,extreme drought and heat,inbred population,high property tax Florida
I spent 4 years in upstate NY and couldn't wait to get out (as a FL native). Cold and snowy 5 months a year with decaying infrastructure, no population growth/young professionals and high taxes.

Central FL is great as long as you manage your expectations. If you'd rather have a cold, snowy winter and enjoy some cool summer days (with some heatwaves thrown in), live up north. If you'd rather have hot, humid summers and cool winters, live down here. And yes the heatwaves up north can make it hotter than FL at times.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I didn't think your post was complex. You've brought up in a couple of your post recently that another poster does not live here. It just seemed like you where discrediting someones opinion because they no longer live in the state.

I personally don't care for Sanford or Lake Mary. Heathrow seems very nice, but I'm not sure how much house the OP could get on their budget.
Please point out that other recent post where I stated that another poster does not live here and I used that to discredit their post. And asking someone where they live, where there are no bugs and perfect weather does not count.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:11 PM

I looked for it yesterday and couldn't find it. Maybe it was deleted for being rude.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 AM

27,201 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Negative opinions abound as evidenced by the OP's post. A vast majority just happen to come from the same people, over and over again.
As do the "sunshine and kittens" positive posts, from the same people....over and over again.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM

115 posts, read 319,304 times
Hello!

Just be prepared with a realistic expectation of the area, and with some research, I think you could really enjoy your time in the Central Florida area. There are some nice aspects of living in the area and many people who love living there. A lot of people move to the heart of Orlando without realizing how much crime and traffic it really has. If you do enough research to find a place that won’t leave you stranded bumper to bumper every day in 95 degree weather with almost no breeze stuck for an hour at a time….. you might very well like it a lot. I remember living there for 2 years. The difference between my first year, living by UCF and all the horrible problems that brings, and the second year living more south in a less crowded area with far less traffic and headaches, made all the difference.

My suggestion would be to figure out the exact location of your future job, and research all the major roads that lead to the area. Ensure that where you chose to live is opposite the majority of commuters. I-4 is almost always jammed up from 4 – 6:30 on weekday afternoons. Not sure about the morning though. Try to avoid taking I-4 for work. It is by far the worst road in the city. Also note that to get into Orlando in a relatively decent time, use the toll roads. If your willing to shill out a few dollars, it can cut your time into the city in half, literally.

Be prepared for very hot summers with little to no breeze. Orlando can feel much hotter than the coastal cities for this reason. I know many people disagree, but having moved from Melbourne to Orlando, I really noticed that one. However, good air conditioning will solve this one until you get adjusted to the heat. And trust me, you will eventually. Winters are absolutely gorgeous!

Also keep in mind many restaurants near the university, near downtown, and near the attractions will be very busy during the weekend. Waiting times can get ridiculous. Simply driving to another part of the city for dinner can usually avoid such.

Do serious research on communities. Some areas do have heavy crime. Others, there are barely any problems. My second year, I remember many of my community individuals made a huge fuss when neighborhood kids were painting cute pictures with sidewalk chalk on random peoples driveways…. The only form of any nuisance existing there, no real crime. My first year near the school however, was very different unfortunately.

Lake Mary/Heathrow tends to not have near the traffic of Orlando. It is close enough to 2 nice malls: Sanford, and Altamonte. You have everything you need in the area, and when you want big city life, its just 30 min south. The area around Orange + 46 is very pretty. Don’t know too much about it, but drove through and was impressed.I’d suggest avoiding living too close to Sanford. But that is just from my experience there, and perhaps there are nicer parts to Sanford that I am unaware of.

Lastly, be aware that as central Florida doesn’t usually get the worst of hurricanes, it can knock the power out a few days or more, so it is highly advised to have flashlights, canned goods, and a plan in place shortly after relocation. When you buy your house, get the roof inspected thoroughly, as a few years ago a few companies who came in after the hurricanes did horrid jobs on the roofs. Most companies are reputable though, and gave top notch service. There were a couple however that did not. I’m just saying you don’t want to be stuck buying a whole new roof after one tropical storm comes through. Also, try to make purchasing a home on an incline a high priority. One with a driveway and home that is above the street, as Florida does have its share of flooding. It doesn’t happen often, but you certainly don’t want water in your home. Roads with drainage systems are a must imo.

Good luck, and don’t get too discouraged. Just make sure you do your homework! Warm weather awaits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida