Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I envy you. We are still about 5 years away from making it up there. We have 2 acres over in Cullowhee, near Western Carolina University. But we also like Greeneville Tn. So it probably will be one or the other. Except for a couple of four year stints, I've lived in Florida since 1959 (Vero Beach and Altamonte Springs). But I've got to say that when we get up to the mountains, I feel like I am really at home.

Altamonte Springs... very busy place. I meet people from the Orlando area up here a lot. Most of my neighbors (not kidding) are from FL. Some S FL, some Orlando, Ft. Myers, etc...

Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
Quote:
I envy you. We are still about 5 years away from making it up there. We have 2 acres over in Cullowhee, near Western Carolina University. But we also like Greeneville Tn. So it probably will be one or the other. Except for a couple of four year stints, I've lived in Florida since 1959 (Vero Beach and Altamonte Springs). But I've got to say that when we get up to the mountains, I feel like I am really at home.
I am sometimes amazed... GreenEville, TN aka G-Vegas is where I lived the first half of my life. So glad I did and I still love the mountains, but I'm happy living in Tampa, too. Who knows, I may retire there and watch the the leaves fall and the mountain streams flow... Nahhhh - unless you can figure out how to prevent the cold snow and ice in winter - LOL!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I am sometimes amazed... GreenEville, TN aka G-Vegas is where I lived the first half of my life. So glad I did and I still love the mountains, but I'm happy living in Tampa, too. Who knows, I may retire there and watch the the leaves fall and the mountain streams flow... Nahhhh - unless you can figure out how to prevent the cold snow and ice in winter - LOL!
Coming from New England, I don't see Greeneville as having a particular cold or snowy winter. It averages 15 inches of snow a season. I guess that is exciting for southerners and is even more than we get in Knoxville, that is for sure, but it is laughable by northern standards, where 60 inches is the norm. And rather than having 3 months of mild winter weather, the average up north is brutally cold weather of at least five months, and often more. I guess that is why half-backers just love it in Tennessee, four seasons of beautiful weather. We get all the perks, like a light dusting of snow, on occasion, that immediately melts. I've been through five winters and never had to buy a snow shovel. I don't think they even sell them here.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Coming from New England, I don't see Greeneville as having a particular cold or snowy winter. It averages 15 inches of snow a season. I guess that is exciting for southerners and is even more than we get in Knoxville, that is for sure, but it is laughable by northern standards, where 60 inches is the norm. And rather than having 3 months of mild winter weather, the average up north is brutally cold weather of at least five months, and often more. I guess that is why half-backers just love it in Tennessee, four seasons of beautiful weather. We get all the perks, like a light dusting of snow, on occasion, that immediately melts. I've been through five winters and never had to buy a snow shovel. I don't think they even sell them here.
I never had to live through 60 inches of snow in Greeneville, thank goodness! I cannot imagine. Growing up I remember many snow days out of school sledding and eating icicles, and doing donuts in slippery parking lots as a young driver.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
????????????????????

Sorry, I cant agree with you on anything in bold. As a FL native, and someone who lives right across the line in Western NC, I completely disagree.

FL offers a better quality of life than TN? Are you sure? Are you comparing Memphis to Jupiter Island?

Better weather? TN has crappy weather for 3 months and FL doesn't? 6 months of FL summers tell me otherwise! Come on, you and I both know how long FL summers are.

"Moving south for a reason?" Not sure what that means... TN is the south (and much more southern).

I wish you well in FL, I just hope you understand that despite it not having snow and ice, it's got it's problems. I really do wish you well, but some of the things you say on this forum are like FL is some sort of a paradise, and it's not.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

If you read and comprehend what I said is that YOU or they have to go with what they or you like. I also said that the OP needs to spend time in both places now didn't I?

To me, knowing both places well, Tenn does not compare to Florida in every category for me.

So why did you move to Asheville again? ( Which I know very well also )

Many Florida haters moved out of Florida because they failed either financially or just did not like the state, did not fit in, did not enjoy what Florida has to offer etc.

Florida is not for everyone. If you are a busy person who wants to have things to do year around and are active then no way does Tenn compare to Florida.

Not much to do in Tenn unless you go to the Smokies area. And I prefer being hot then being cold by a long shot.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
No comparison huh? It's FL all the way? Nothing in TN compares to what FL can offer people?

to the OP... When I think of comparing two places, I think about ... the people, crime, jobs, weather, quality of life, scenery, things to do, etc. Since jobs are scarce everywhere, you can make a pros and cons list using some of my (and of course any you can think of) pros and cons and see which comes out ahead.

Mine would go... people (TN, that's easy)), ( DEPENDS ON WHO YOU HANG WITH I GUESS )
crime (too hard to say, some good some bad), ( Walk around Memphis )
jobs (yikes, neither),
weather (TN because I like 4 seasons and cant stand the constant heat and humidity)
( this is what YOU like, the OP might not want to be in the cold anymore, thus the reason to move south )

quality of life (TN), ( Again, your opinion. To me is Florida by a long shot. )
scenery (TN, pretty easily) ( Beautiful? yes I agree Tenn. is, but as far as statewide scenery, beauty etc, Florida wins hands down. )
things to do (FL), etc... Whhhooooops! I just realized this post is like 3 yrs old!
I like to go to the Smokies for a few days at a time. I would not want to live there or any place in Tenn for that matter.

You are on the other side of the border in Asheville, I like Asheville, Waynesville, Maggie Valley etc for a visit would not live there. We have close friends who live in Boone, NC and they do not like it, had to go there for a job. They were from lower Ga and want to go back, they do not like cold.

Even if the thread is 3 years old anyone reading this should understand that either you are going to like Florida or you are not.

For me, knowing tons of personal stories, history etc of posters here and not on this forum I find that most ( NOT ALL ) who bash Florida had something happen and blame the state, the people ( you did above ), etc only to find out we then get the real story behind some of the postings and stories off CD that many failed financially and do not tell us that.

Many who no longer post here failed financially and yet posted how bad Florida was when it was not Florida, it was them, poor planning, poor budgeting, over spending etc got them into trouble, not anything in or about Florida at all.

I know far too many personal stories to compare to those who do not have bad stories that left Florida.

The key is spending time in any state you want to live and of course the research is vital.

I am starting to think that it is better that the unhappy people leave Florida. Gives those of us who love the heat, ocean, smell, palm trees, tropical weather more room to breathe and we do not have to deal with depressed unhappy people who should not be living in paradise in the first place.

And no, I do not like the leaves falling and the 4 changes in weather.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
[quote=Sunny-Days90;15638417]I like to go to the Smokies for a few days at a time. I would not want to live there or any place in Tenn for that matter.

You are on the other side of the border in Asheville, I like Asheville, Waynesville, Maggie Valley etc for a visit would not live there. We have close friends who live in Boone, NC and they do not like it, had to go there for a job. They were from lower Ga and want to go back, they do not like cold. People who'd rather live in S GA than Boone NC... I'll take their opinion with a grain of salt, lol.

Even if the thread is 3 years old anyone reading this should understand that either you are going to like Florida or you are not.

For me, knowing tons of personal stories, history etc of posters here and not on this forum I find that most ( NOT ALL ) who bash Florida had something happen and blame the state, the people ( you did above ), etc only to find out we then get the real story behind some of the postings and stories off CD that many failed financially and do not tell us that. Failed financially? FL is cheaper than Asheville by a long shot. Supply and demand. FL doesnt pay very well, we all know this. I'm not sure who or what to blame.

Many who no longer post here failed financially and yet posted how bad Florida was when it was not Florida, it was them, poor planning, poor budgeting, over spending etc got them into trouble, not anything in or about Florida at all. Ok, that doesnt have anything to do with me though. If people planned poorly or over-extended, that's not really FL's fault nor is it mine.

I know far too many personal stories to compare to those who do not have bad stories that left Florida.

The key is spending time in any state you want to live and of course the research is vital.

I am starting to think that it is better that the unhappy people leave Florida. Gives those of us who love the heat, ocean, smell, palm trees, tropical weather more room to breathe and we do not have to deal with depressed unhappy people who should not be living in paradise in the first place. FL needs to keep hard-working natives instead of attracting grouchy retirees and foreigners looking for a hand-out.
And no, I do not like the leaves falling and the 4 changes in weather. Yeah, leaves changing color and falling is gross.

Back to your post prior to this one, you're right... the people in FL and the people in TN are different and it certainly depends on who you are around. You bring up Memphis, and that I can agree with. Crime is bad there. But you didnt mention Miami, Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville. They got crime too, dont you think?

And as far as you saying that FL has ("hands down") more beauty than TN makes me laugh. Seriously. FL has beaches and that's about it. Great beaches. But the concrete jungle doesnt compare to the natural beauty of TN.

Like I said, I hope you love FL. I used to love FL but it changed too much for my liking. You refer to it often as paradise and you claim that the people, the climate, and the quality of life is (again, "hands down") better than TN... really? I just hope you realize it has it's problems too.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Nah Tennessee is too cold. I'm a native Floridian but I love where I'm at in South Alabama.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Florida is a paradise? I've lived in the state a lot of years and I might have used that term for living in Vero Beach in the 60's, but not since then. Sure it's not the worst place in the world to live and I can see why people who have lived with lousy cold weather for most of their lives would like the idea of the climate change. And I am still here after all these years (because of my job), so it can't be unbearable. But let's not go overboard with it's praise.

And sure, some people who leave Florida for NC or Tenn are not happy with the move. The same could be said for some people who move to California, Arkansas, Hawaii, South Dakota or any other place. That is human nature. I will say that with most of the people I have interacted with over the years in the western NC area who moved there, the most common theme has been "I wish I had done this years ago". But then again, that is just my experience.

And I'm not sure how we got on the topic of financially failed people bashing Florida.

Some people like 4 seasons; some don't. Some like palm trees and sandy beaches; some like hardwood trees that change color and winding drives on back roads. Some like a whirlwind of activities and some like a more relaxed atmosphere. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. You just need to find your spot and remember that what you think is a bit of heaven might not appeal to someone else.

For my wife and I, our bit of heaven will hopefully be NC/Tenn. So eventually we will be giving "more room to breathe" to those who prefer Florida.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Florida is a paradise? I've lived in the state a lot of years and I might have used that term for living in Vero Beach in the 60's, but not since then. Sure it's not the worst place in the world to live and I can see why people who have lived with lousy cold weather for most of their lives would like the idea of the climate change. And I am still here after all these years (because of my job), so it can't be unbearable. But let's not go overboard with it's praise.

And sure, some people who leave Florida for NC or Tenn are not happy with the move. The same could be said for some people who move to California, Arkansas, Hawaii, South Dakota or any other place. That is human nature. I will say that with most of the people I have interacted with over the years in the western NC area who moved there, the most common theme has been "I wish I had done this years ago". But then again, that is just my experience.

And I'm not sure how we got on the topic of financially failed people bashing Florida.

Some people like 4 seasons; some don't. Some like palm trees and sandy beaches; some like hardwood trees that change color and winding drives on back roads. Some like a whirlwind of activities and some like a more relaxed atmosphere. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. You just need to find your spot and remember that what you think is a bit of heaven might not appeal to someone else.

For my wife and I, our bit of heaven will hopefully be NC/Tenn. So eventually we will be giving "more room to breathe" to those who prefer Florida.

In a way exactly what I said.

Florida or Tenn or Ohio or NY is not for everyone.

But I know and have traveled to and spent considerable time in all the discussed states and would not ever live in Tenn. Both Tenn and NC are beautiful but for me, Florida offers everything we want as an active family who loves being warm, palm trees, ocean and hates being cold and locked inside for 7 months or more every year.

Yes, Florida is paradise compared to every single state that I have traveled. Other then Hawaii, there is no state that offers all the things Florida has to offer people.

I also go by the countless members here who have move from Florida to Tn and NC and moved back to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida