Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM

24 posts, read 26,308 times

Advertisements

Im 22 and I went to community college. I am a white caucasion male. I went to Valencia College. I liked living in Orlando met lots of nice people some of whom are some of my best friends now. There was always alot to do. Im taking a semester off and I will be going to school in the winter semester. I dont think I want to move back to Orlando There was just to much crime and two many homeless people. I would like to stay in Florida. Here is what Im looking for.
-Nightlife or things for young people to do.
-I have a golden retriever dog so the area would have to be dog friendly.
-Im looking for an apartment in a nice area I could spend the max 1500 a month for either a 1 or 2 bed room apartment that is dog friendly.
-I dont want to live in a retierment comminity or w alot of families.
-It would be a plus to be an area such as a planned community or a beach town with resturants/bars near by.
-It could be close to a downtown area.
-Parks or alot of outdoor areas that are dog friendly would be a huge plus.
-I would also be interested in finding a job working in a retail setting selling clothing of somesort.
-It would have to be within 20 to 30 min to a commnity college or trade school. Im going to school for business.
What can you tell me about Key Largo FL, (St Augustine Jacksonville Ameila Island area) or Panama City Florida? Do they meet any of my requirments? Or if you can you think of any other cities that would fit any of my requirments please chime In. I would be really greatful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:22 AM

36 posts, read 53,943 times
Those are terrible choices for a 20 year old

Key Largo is the middle of nowhere.
Panama is ghetto and away from civilization
Amelia, full of tourists and older crowd.

Crime and younger crowds go together, either stop watching your local news or move to a boring retirement town.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman554563 View Post
Im 22 and I went to community college. I am a white caucasion male. I went to Valencia College. I liked living in Orlando met lots of nice people some of whom are some of my best friends now. There was always alot to do. Im taking a semester off and I will be going to school in the winter semester. I dont think I want to move back to Orlando There was just to much crime and two many homeless people. I would like to stay in Florida. Here is what Im looking for.
-Nightlife or things for young people to do.
-I have a golden retriever dog so the area would have to be dog friendly.
-Im looking for an apartment in a nice area I could spend the max 1500 a month for either a 1 or 2 bed room apartment that is dog friendly.
-I dont want to live in a retierment comminity or w alot of families.
-It would be a plus to be an area such as a planned community or a beach town with resturants/bars near by.
-It could be close to a downtown area.
-Parks or alot of outdoor areas that are dog friendly would be a huge plus.
-I would also be interested in finding a job working in a retail setting selling clothing of somesort.
-It would have to be within 20 to 30 min to a commnity college or trade school. Im going to school for business.
What can you tell me about Key Largo FL, (St Augustine Jacksonville Ameila Island area) or Panama City Florida? Do they meet any of my requirments? Or if you can you think of any other cities that would fit any of my requirments please chime In. I would be really greatful.
Since you have already started at one school, how many hours will you lose transferring to a different school? It is always wisest to get the AA before you transfer because than everything you paid for transfers usually.The advice I would give my son, stay in Orlando and finish up at Valencia if he were in your shoes. If you want to get out of the Metro West location check out the other campus and live somewhere other than Metro West.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM

79 posts, read 151,909 times
Key Largo will definitely NOT meet your criteria. Living in the Keys can be nice but there is no night life whatsoever. Jobs are relatively scarce, too.

I agree with Rabflmom, will you lose credits if you move? Maybe it is the area you were living in near Orlando that gave you the bad taste. Maybe try another area?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Move to Seminole County and transfer your credits from Valencia to SCC.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 AM

24 posts, read 26,308 times
If you read I would perfer not to live in Orlando and perfer to be near the ocean

Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
It might be pushing the budget but check out Palm Beach County. Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter would fit your criteria mostly and Palm Beach State College has a large campus in Palm Beach Gardens. Abacoa in Jupiter is a very nice planned community.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
Look into Ormond Beach and Port Orange. Both are near the coast, and fit the other criteria you listed. Daytona State is also near those locations. Crime may be hard to avoid though if you live anywhere in FL, as it ranked as the 4th worst crime state in the USA last year.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman554563 View Post
If you read I would perfer not to live in Orlando and perfer to be near the ocean
The only place that really seems to fit your criteria would be Tampa/St. Pete.

Hillsborough Community College is a pretty good school, so is St. Pete College. It's also close enough to Orlando that, if one night, you feel that the Tampa nightlife isn't good enough, you can drive to Orlando.

Key Largo ? Panama City ? Those are great places to visit, but as a young guy looking for affordability as well as school, I'd stick to the major cities as it'll be much easier to find work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida