Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM

45 posts, read 132,155 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to FL - even to try out for a year and see if it is right long term. Here's what I'm looking for:

Good schools (public/parochial)

Clean beaches

Clear water

and questions about beaches - are any seaweed free all year or is the sea weed seasonal?*

Great sunsets

Lot's of single men about 40-50....

Was considering Sarasota on the west coast, had thought about Tampa but people say it is very red neck and no beach near by... ??

And was considering Hollywood or WPB or PBC on the east coast...

I love the town of Bloomington where IU is (although the economy / jobs suck there ) it's very safe for the most part and festive/fun. Like a constant party... but is there anywhere in FL where it's a grown up party of NICE people enjoying life?

And do people on the east coast live there often fly to the bahamas regularly (monthly/bi-weekly) just to chill and enjoy the beaches etc.

Where do people lobster dive and get fresh crab?

If I go to the east coast - are the beaches clearish water or are they more ilke NC/SC beaches *brownish - I remember being in St. Pete as a teenager and the water there was brownish too... like around March. But when I was in the panhandle, the beaches were all sea weed during Aug - and it is very quiet, white and touristy...

Is there anywhere to get a fair balance of culture and kindness and fun?

~MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maneki-neko View Post
Considering a move to FL - even to try out for a year and see if it is right long term. Here's what I'm looking for:

Clean beaches

Clear water

and questions about beaches - are any seaweed free all year or is the sea weed seasonal?*

Great sunsets

Was considering Sarasota on the west coast, had thought about Tampa but people say it is very red neck and no beach near by... ??

I love the town of Bloomington where IU is (although the economy / jobs suck there ) it's very safe for the most part and festive/fun. Like a constant party... but is there anywhere in FL where it's a grown up party of NICE people enjoying life?

And do people on the east coast live there often fly to the bahamas regularly (monthly/bi-weekly) just to chill and enjoy the beaches etc.

If I go to the east coast - are the beaches clearish water or are they more ilke NC/SC beaches *brownish - I remember being in St. Pete as a teenager and the water there was brownish too... like around March. But when I was in the panhandle, the beaches were all sea weed during Aug - and it is very quiet, white and touristy...

~MN
I always find the omission of St Pete or Clearwater baffling when looking at "Tampa", particularly when one of the criteria is a coastal environment. Neither is what one would call redneck and in fact many Midwesterners have either relocated to or vacation in the area. The Clearwater area beaches in particular are world famous and named among the World's Best Beaches a few times over and can't remember ever seeing the seaweed issue you bring up. The better schools are in the Clearwater area with the NE Clearwater (Countryside) district being the best in town. The adjoining suburbs of East Lake and Palm Harbor (just north/northeast of town) have the best public schools in the Tampa Bay area. Worth checking out as well are the beach communities of Madeira Beach, Redington Beach, North Redington Beach and Redington Shores which have excellent primary school education and feed to Seminole HS on the mainland which is quite good as well. Where you're going to lose out there is the lack of a lot of "single men in their 40's and 50's". Of course there'll be some, but not in droves. The east coast is the better option in that department and would steer you more toward Palm Beach County with perhaps Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens as the focus areas. If you want a more beachy vibe, check out Delray Beach, though the better schools will be in adjoining Boca Raton. Bear in mind most of the single men in their 40's and 50's tend to be looking for women in their 20's and 30's...

All in all the best balance in my opinion of culture, good schools, kinder people and fun environment would be in the Clearwater area.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:

Clean beaches

Clear water

Great sunsets

~MN
Sarasota is a fantastic place to live. My hubby is from Indiana, grew up in Europe and has lived here now for decades, we would not live anywhere else. Sarasota is a small, cosmopolitan city; very artsy with lots of festivals and things happening all year. Three small but great colleges including Ringling Art & Design; this city has a vibrant compact downtown with everything you could want, diverse Bohemian neighborhoods, and some of the best beaches in the country. Yes, recently there was seaweed that washed up, that is a rare and very seasonal thing; you almost never see that, certainly is not a problem. If you love crab, delicious stone crabs from the Gulf are available from October - May. For your wish list, you should seriously check it out. Best city on the Gulf coast, IMO.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sarasota is a fantastic place to live. My hubby is from Indiana, grew up in Europe and has lived here now for decades, we would not live anywhere else. Sarasota is a small, cosmopolitan city; very artsy with lots of festivals and things happening all year. Three small but great colleges including Ringling Art & Design; this city has a vibrant compact downtown with everything you could want, diverse Bohemian neighborhoods, and some of the best beaches in the country. Yes, recently there was seaweed that washed up, that is a rare and very seasonal thing; you almost never see that, certainly is not a problem. If you love crab, delicious stone crabs from the Gulf are available from October - May. For your wish list, you should seriously check it out. Best city on the Gulf coast, IMO.
Thank you! I've been researching for weeks... and I gathered it's pretty good - thanks for the info! I am curious if there are many singles there...

Old 08-27-2012, 01:33 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Thank you! I've been researching for weeks... and I gathered it's pretty good - thanks for the info! I am curious if there are many singles there...
Sarasota demographics (US Census 2000)

As of the census[6] of 2000, there were 52,715 people, 23,427 households, and 12,064 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,539.8 per square mile (1,366.9/km²). There were 26,898 housing units at an average density of 1,806.2 per square mile (697.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 76.91% White, 16.02% African American, 0.35% Native American, 1.02% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 3.74% from other races, and 1.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.92% of the population.
There were 23,427 households out of which 19.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.3% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female head of household with no husband present, and 48.5% were non-families. 38.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.81. In the city the population was spread out with 18.4% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 22.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.8 males.

For a quick calculation of single men in the target age group of 45 to 64 ("men in their 40s and 50s") I came up with a population around 5000 which lacks further division by race (Sarasota is 76% white) or factoring in gay men which adds typically around 1%-2% of the overall single male population...bringing it down to around 3750 or so if one continues to factor. Bear in mind also women outnumber men 100 to 92.8 which waters it down further. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking to date in a non-shallow pool.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Tell us more about your situation so we can give more specific advice.

Except for the school point, all your criteria are recreation related.

How many kids? What grades?

Do you need employment?

Housing budget?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sarasota demographics (US Census 2000)

As of the census[6] of 2000, there were 52,715 people, 23,427 households, and 12,064 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,539.8 per square mile (1,366.9/km²). There were 26,898 housing units at an average density of 1,806.2 per square mile (697.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 76.91% White, 16.02% African American, 0.35% Native American, 1.02% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 3.74% from other races, and 1.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.92% of the population.
There were 23,427 households out of which 19.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.3% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female head of household with no husband present, and 48.5% were non-families. 38.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.81. In the city the population was spread out with 18.4% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 22.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.8 males.

For a quick calculation of single men in the target age group of 45 to 64 ("men in their 40s and 50s") I came up with a population around 5000 which lacks further division by race (Sarasota is 76% white) or factoring in gay men which adds typically around 1%-2% of the overall single male population...bringing it down to around 3750 or so if one continues to factor. Bear in mind also women outnumber men 100 to 92.8 which waters it down further. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking to date in a non-shallow pool.
this is mind blowing... need to read it a few times to process it - wow! thanks for doing that.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Tell us more about your situation so we can give more specific advice.

Except for the school point, all your criteria are recreation related.

How many kids? What grades?

Do you need employment?

Housing budget?
Ok, I'm 36, one daughter is in the 5th grade... at a parochial school. Would love a good public school but not sure if they really exist in FL? Good pub/priv school is essential... easy beach access... less traffic than Miami (which isn't saying much for FL, I'm sure).

I think I would prefer the beach on the west coast of FL because

gentler
warmer
better sand
better sunsets

I think I would prefer the east for

more single men in the desired age group 40-50
closer to Bahamas
funner waves

I supposed I could travel to the west coast...

would be really nice not to be a complete minority like I am here in Indy... believe it. Have to go to a suburb, which generally lacks any diversity to not be a minority. Too bad it's not a healthy balance of multiple races, it's just how it is.

for work, I'm self employed

budget - thinking no more than $1300 on a home...

What we want besides good schools:

nice downtown, bike trails if possible, something ilke kitschy like creative and has a whole foods and trader joes... right there might be a quick way to find a spot!

Looks like Sarasota???? Has Trader Joe's & Whole Foods

places I'm considering based on extensive reading...

Sarasota
Hollywood

Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Well, here goes....

Thanks for answering my questions.

Overall I think Sarasota is your best bet. Their public schools have a good reputation on this board while most other areas do not. I don't know about the dating pool there but I am thinking most single men will be well above 50.

I would start posting on the Sarasota board here.

I have a few other general comments. These are meant to be constructive and not harsh, and recognize we can only respond based on information you have given us.

Here goes....

I have read your other posts and there is a common theme: you want to move here for the weather, beaches, and proximity to the Bahamas. Nothing wrong with that. Those are very common reasons for wanting to move here (except for the Bahamas).

The big flag for me is your housing budget. I could be way off here but I doubt you would find anything in your price range that is safe and as close to the beach as you would like.

You will be in the rat race here. You won't be going to the beach as often as you think you would. I lived on the east cosat a long time ago and never heard of people taking quick trips to the Bahamas for the weekend. Possible? Sure. If you have that kind of money. As a single parent can you really afford the time and money to do this? Is it realistic? Again, I'm not trying to be critical, just realistic.

I think you have a shot here, especially since you are self employed. The sunsets and beaches are here for sure. The trick is will you have enough money AND time to enjoy them as you think you will?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Theres a reason they call it City Data

//www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida