Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 PM

267 posts, read 1,137,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Well, I've lived in Fl for 37 years and speak Spanish and while it might be politically incorrect, just what exactly did aplacetocallhome say that was incorrect?
Before you answer please remember that, after all, she's saying the same thing that was written about in the Orlando Sun Sentinel.

February 5, 2006

"Buenaventura Lakes, where 55 percent of the residents are Hispanic, ties with the much smaller Harlem Heights neighborhood in Fort Myers as the place with the largest concentration of Puerto Ricans in all of Florida: About 37 percent of their residents indicated island ancestry on the most recent U.S. census."
"I just pray to God," said Gutierrez, "that all of those who are coming have their own betterment in mind, because none of us came here to spoil this place, but to seek progress."

Goggle Puerto Ricans Kissimmee/Orlando crime etc. The comments from the locals are interesting too.
jbravo,
I am not saying that aplacetocallhome was wrong in telling people that the area had bad schools and high crime. I'm sure that is probably true. However, her delivery is what disturbed me.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:03 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,319,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's called dreaming. Just close your eyes, doze off and it's there. If you want to experience it while awake ou need to build a time machine, and set it for 1955. Florida was worth it them, or so I have heard.
Aw yes, to go back to 1955. What a year!!! Oh yea, I was born that year.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
You're kidding right? Anything in south florida(Naples, Port St. Lucie. even Tampa south) it is not cheap nor can you find LAND- you can find expensive lots. As with anything the more crowded an area the more crime.

As far as places like Yankeetown it's in the swamps which translates to lots and lots of bugs. Check your atlas- anything with squiggly lines is swamp.

Also make sure people in the town have a decent income and jobs otherwise
you will have to be concerned about building a nice house which could be robbed.

Check the statistics and demographics of the towns that are recommended to you.

Been all over florida and I can't recommend a really good city. My dh and I fulltime in our motorhome- we spend winter in fl and the rest of the year in the mountains of tennessee. Now that is a beautiful place. Inexpensive, safe, rural, quiet, with lots of land(acreage).

Old 03-03-2007, 08:26 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
Look to the north part of the state, still low crime, quiet and pretty... But how long will it be before we get the same situation as central and south Florida? 10 or 20 years?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 PM

713 posts, read 2,660,240 times
No need to build. Plenty of brand new houses on the market to pick from. Price correction offers brand new homes 3/2/ 3c. gar. on 1/3 acre with loads of upgrades for $219,000. Lovely town. Safe as far as I can see.

The reason our towns and cities are going to ruin is because while we mean well, we complain amongst ourselves and DO NOT tell those in power who can actually do something about change. And Yes, it DOES work!! If they get it that this decay is costing VOTES, they will get on it. Guaranteed. It sure beats doing "nada". The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Say nothing and nothing gets done!!!

Google your state's elected officials and it will take you to their website. There you will find e-mail addies or comment prompts. Click and make USE of this service. Tell them your concerns. Hit submit button. There. You'll feel better rather than wasting time crying in the wind.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 15,756 times
Default Mountain City, TN

Mountain City is very interesting!

I have a problem with noise and hope to relocate somewhere to escape neighbors lawnmoores, dogs barking and traffic noise.

My hope may be a impossible dream.

Is this type isolation possible in Mountain City?

Do you know where I can find this quiet?

I have considered a motorhome; are they basically quiet or can you easily hear through the walls?

John

Old 03-17-2007, 05:06 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,186,024 times
Default fla not tn

they are asking about fla not tn. there are plenty of places in northern fla that suit your needs. to say there is none is rediculous. tn is pretty but not for everyone. maybe when retired and having nothing else to do, would i consider moving back to those areas (tn/nc). adios

Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 PM

523 posts, read 2,822,077 times
Anthony Florida , outskirts of Ocala is suppose to be cheap, but ok if retired, all of Florida has gotten really expensive, just 2 yrs ago, you could get a acre in Polk City Florida for 2000.00. Now these people are wanting 198,000 for acre with dumpy old trailer on it. So who knows when prices will come down.
You can still build new home over here in Lakeland for 160,000. but in Tampa area it is well over 200-250 for small home. I am watching and waiting to see if prices drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida