U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM

774 posts, read 2,206,710 times

Advertisements

I noticed that North Port reduced their tax rate from 4.9mills per thousand to 3.3.mills.
The example given in the article was: "an owner of a $225,000 home with a homestead exemption will owe this city $1092 for the next fiscal year in property taxes".

This seems much lower than what people on this board are complaining about and is less than 1/4 of what I now pay on my home in Rhode Island (plus I pay 7% state tax and outragous oil bills).

Am I missing something here? Is the tax rate that much lower in North Port than in other communities?
Any help much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 PM

96 posts, read 442,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I noticed that North Port reduced their tax rate from 4.9mills per thousand to 3.3.mills.
The example given in the article was: "an owner of a $225,000 home with a homestead exemption will owe this city $1092 for the next fiscal year in property taxes".

This seems much lower than what people on this board are complaining about and is less than 1/4 of what I now pay on my home in Rhode Island (plus I pay 7% state tax and outragous oil bills).

Am I missing something here? Is the tax rate that much lower in North Port than in other communities?
There are several factors that could affect the taxes owed. I would guess that the example sited is a home that has been owned for a number of years by the same person and therefore falls under the "save our homes" program. Which roughly translates to no more than a 3% increase in taxes from the previous year. As for Rhode Island (and other northern states), they have incredibly high real estate taxes depending on the town/city where you are located. Just by coincidence I spoke with my sister today who lives in Dutchess County (rural) NY. Her tax bill this year is over $8000. I suppose it boils down to the cost of services provided to the community, the amount of households that contribute to pay for those services, and how well the money is spent.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 PM

8,189 posts, read 30,219,953 times
Also, that is only the city portion of the tax. There is still the Sarasota County portion of the tax.

I lived in North Port for 9 years. That is a lot of tax for what you get for living there.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:13 AM

467 posts, read 1,632,561 times
Quote:

recalculate the numbers. if you purchase a home, the existing exemption will be removed. the tax will be based on an assessment without this. the exemption, after applied for will take effect the following year. I am currently benefiting from the exemption and pay 1800 per year in taxes. If I were to purchase my own house tomorrow I would be paying more like 5000.00 per year. My total county millage is around $20.00 per thousand assessed taxable value. city tax is around 4 or 5 bucks.
many people are paying between 5 and 10 k taxes.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 AM

16 posts, read 124,205 times
Hi Mikey2,

That math doesn't add up. If you take the house valued at $225,000 and take away the Homestead Exemption ($25,000 on taxable value), then the taxable value of the home would be $200,000 multiplied times the millage rate of .0033, the taxes would come out to $660, not $1092. I'm not too sure how things work in North Port as I don't live there, but here in Hernando County, FL (about 45 minutes north of tampa) the millage rate is approximately 18 mills. So, if you had a home that you purchased for $225,000 (1,700 SF living, 3/2/2/pool in nice neighborhood), and you get it homesteaded (it has to be your primary residence to qualify for the homestead exemption), then your taxable value would again be $200,000 and your taxes would be APPROXIMATELY $200,000 multiplied times the millage rate of .018 = $3,600/year. Pasco County would be slightly less at 16.5 mills.

I'm originally from just outside RI in Southeastern, MA (went to school in Bristol - played in a band for years that played providence, bristol, newport, etc) I'm now a REALTOR in Florida and work mainly in Hernando & Pasco County. Compared to RI, things down here are MUCH less expensive. Many of the people who are upset about the costs of living in FL, are comparing it to how inexpensive it USED to be in FL...not comparing it to how much it would cost to live in New England.

If I can help at all, just let me know.

Josh

Old 09-29-2006, 02:21 PM

774 posts, read 2,206,710 times
Thanks for the replies,

Yup, the math doesn't add up because I forgot to add $209.00 for trash pickup, $103.00 for fire tax, plus $660.00 for property= $1079.00

The Sarasota County tax is $17.00+ mill per thousand, which adds up to another $3400.00 for a combined total of $4479.00 per year.

If you count RI state tax + property tax, I'm now paying almost $8000.00 per year and that doesn't count oil heat which could easily run $3000.00 more, if you try to keep the house warm.

Florida.... here I come.....
Mikey

Old 09-29-2006, 03:02 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,616,441 times
I still love Rhode Island! If I had BIG bucks and the property taxes were just a nuisance, not a deal breaker, I'd love to own one of those early 20th century homes with the big front porches close to Newport and the Narragansett Bay.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:34 PM

7,047 posts, read 8,179,500 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies,

Yup, the math doesn't add up because I forgot to add $209.00 for trash pickup, $103.00 for fire tax, plus $660.00 for property= $1079.00

The Sarasota County tax is $17.00+ mill per thousand, which adds up to another $3400.00 for a combined total of $4479.00 per year.

If you count RI state tax + property tax, I'm now paying almost $8000.00 per year and that doesn't count oil heat which could easily run $3000.00 more, if you try to keep the house warm.

Florida.... here I come.....
Mikey
You didn't go through the full equation yet Mikey. What will the homeowner's insurance be? (Many people are paying thousands of dollars per year). Florida is hot 9 months of the year, and if you do need to use your electric heat, watch the electric meter spin like mad! What will your electric bill be in a year? What will your salary be compared to RI?
Answer ALL these questions, then decide if Florida is a better choice for you. Far too many people aren't "doing their homework" before heading down.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:30 PM

167 posts, read 944,764 times
Mikey:

You are making the right move to the Sunshine State. You will save a few thousand a year but getting out of your beautiful state, RI.....We reside in Central Florida and our insurances have dropped substantially than our previous dwelling, South Florida....I realize a lot of folks have sticker shock w/Florida and the taxes etc. however, ours went down when we moved from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando....We have been residents of Florida since the 60's, so we do know this State...Anyhoo, good luck in your final decision and the weather that is upon us right now is totally what the Sunshine State is about!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida