Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:28 PM

55 posts, read 468,183 times

Advertisements

For those who live in gated communities...

1) what kind of gated community do you live in?
2) what are the pros/cons?
3) where in Florida do you live?
4) would you live in a open (non-gated) community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,187,132 times
1) what kind of gated community do you live in? A GATE THAT DOESNT SEEM TO WORK RIGHT NOW. IT IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE GATES W/ THE SPEAKER AND IT CALLS TO YOUR HOUSE AND YOU TELL THE VISITOR(S) THE CODE

2) what are the pros/cons? IT ISNT WORKING NOW OR SOMETHING... I HAVENT SEEN IT CLOSED YET.

3) where in Florida do you live? PUERT-ORLANDO

4) would you live in a open (non-gated) community? YES

Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,477,661 times
1) gates are open from 7am-7pm
2) pros..don't know of any cons...don't know of any
3) SWFL
4) Sure. I see nothing unique nor special about a gated community. They are more of a facade & selling point

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 178,261 times
1) what kind of gated community do you live in? 24 hour guarded gate, cannot get in without homeowner authorization. also have 24hr patrolled security.
2) what are the pros/cons? pros- since we live in a fairly urban area it keeps out people who don't belong here. only con is that our guests can wait a long time to get in on the weekends.
3) where in Florida do you live? west palm beach
4) would you live in a open (non-gated) community? yes depending on which one

Old 10-09-2007, 04:04 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,552,878 times
Default Those are good questions!

If you don't mind, I'd like to pose these questions in another forum to read what responses I get. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes View Post

Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,572,115 times

24/7 Manned Guard with Surveillance Cameras, one way in...one way out.

Pros: Added security, no unnecessary traffic in community or reason for being within the walls unless you have a valid reason.

Cons: Higher HOA fees, have to call ahead to allow service vehicles in.

Palm Beach County

Been there done that, would do it again if this area was like it was 20 years ago. Dream on..

Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,287,590 times
PROBABLY not what you're going for, but.........

Presently:

1) A vertical one, lol

2) Pros: Feeling of Safety inside the building
Cons: Condo Commandos and ridiculous rules

3) Palm Beach County

4) Yes. Actually, I prefer non-gated new urban communities.

I DID live in a true gated apartment complex during college. The cons were the inconvenience of having visitors over, or deliveries made to the house.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 AM

445 posts, read 1,676,950 times
Default we are gated

We are gated, not guarded. Small community.
We wont live in one again. It is really a joke because after while, everyone can figure out how to get in.

Also you have the phone ringing from people pressing numbers trying to get in to the community. We are at the beginning of the alphabet so this can be a nuisance.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times

Oh yes, and the gated community was invented to hold in some of Florida's most special residents!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes View Post

I think it's going to depend on what part of Florida you choose to live in too. South Florida seems to have more gated communities than North Florida.

Where I am (Jacksonville), the majority of our communities are ungated - even in the new more urban areas. What some of the new communites usually do is design the neighborhood so there is only one way in and one way out (mine is like this). This makes it so most people driving in the community are usually living/visiting there. It's all dead-ends, so there's not much other purpose for driving in and it says so at the front entrance ("no outlet").

I can say this though, whenever I have to visit someone living behind a gate (in-laws, for example), I rarely need the code - it's easy to just follow the tail of the person in front of you. Now if there is a guard there, that's different.

Also, as Backtofla pointed out, unless you have a guard present, these gates do seem to break a lot and cause headaches .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida