Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM

12 posts, read 32,773 times

Advertisements

Hi

I've read from this forum alot, especially about North Port (area of interest at this time ).

From this forum I learnt that North Port is a wonderful town for young families with kids. How about young families without kids? Or singles?

Is there such a place in Florida where is still affordoble to own for young people without living in a manufactured home Thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 AM

32 posts, read 238,423 times
depends on if yall plan on having kids soon cause there aint much to do down there!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 AM

960 posts, read 1,681,625 times
You would need to provide more information before anyone could give you specifics.
For example: What is affordable to you? Do you plan on renting or buying a home? Do you and your partner have jobs lined up? What kind of amenities are you looking for? What kinds of special concerns do you have (crime, commuting distance, etc.)?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Default some details ....

My partner and I are looking to buy a house.

We don't have to worry about jobs since we're both self employed and working from home.

In our spare time we enjoy playing sports (such as tennis or volleyball), running, going to the beach or out clubbing.

What part of North Port should we be looking into Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM

272 posts, read 1,529,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4ever View Post
Is there such a place in Florida where is still affordoble to own for young people without living in a manufactured home Thanks
That would be on the panhandle or around Jacksonville.

If you consider north FL, there is no shortage of activities and nightlife for a young couple without children in Jacksonville, Panama City Beach, Destin, or Pensacola and you are close to the beach and plenty of outdoor recreation. If you don't want to live too close to the beach, you could consider Tallahassee or Gainesville. These areas are also among the most affordable in the state. Of all the cities listed, Destin is probably the priciest.

North Port has no nightlife at all. It is mostly working class-middle class families and retirees. It is about an hour to Tampa and and hour to Ft. Myers. I wouldn't have wanted to live there when I was single or married w/out children. It would be pretty boring.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM

How about Port Charlotte or Venice? Is there any nite life?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM

272 posts, read 1,529,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4ever View Post
How about Port Charlotte or Venice? Is there any nite life?
Nope. They are pretty much the same place as North Port so what holds true for North Port, holds true for them as well. The most exciting thing to do in that area is look for manatees and hunt for shark's teeth on the beach. That entire area is really more of a retirement spot than anything else. It's also popular with families who want a quiet, small town, country sort of place to raise their children without any of the chaos, crime, or indecency you might find in a big city.

What made you choose North Port or the greater Port Charlotte area in general? I assume you have never visited there?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,496,074 times
There are two biker bars (though one frequently has crack/meth busts) & a few adult bookstores. That's nightlife in Port Charlotte.
You may have better luck looking further north into St. Pete.
Port Charlotte & North Port are primarily for retirees.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
What made you choose North Port or the greater Port Charlotte area in general? I assume you have never visited there?

I lived on Ana Maria Island, Bradenton and Sarasota and visited North just recently.
What's appealing about North Port is affordable housing and younger crowd compared to above mentioned towns.

Can't get any worse than Ana Maria Island, right ???

Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Lightbulb more questions about North Port area -- beaches and parks

I'm not giving up ... came back with more questions

We went to see couple of houses today and we're seriously considering one of them, off Donatella Ave. We also drove around a bit but didn't get to see everything we wanted as it was getting late/dark.

Going back to things to do in North Port area ... the website below says there are 2 beaches that have voleyball courts ... can anybody confirm that things are happening there? (see athletes' beaches).
The Beaches of Florida's Charlotte Harbor & the Gulf Islands - Pure Florida - Charlotte Harbor

Any feedback on the following parks would be greatly appreciated ... Dallas White, Highland Ridge, McKibbon. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida