Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:36 PM

940 posts, read 1,367,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
lol i can see your point with the kids, and strollers in slush, ugh yah thats hard to do while balancing presents and wiping runny noses.. Luckily its on myself and my husband so I'm good in that aspect.. And I don't mind the layers honestly.. I get excited when I can buy a new pair of mittens or an LLBean coat.. so its all peachy
You are making miss picking out new winter coats and cool new boots and long sleeve shirts to hide my lovely arms!
Ya know, now that you mentioned it we haven't been sick since we got here 2 years ago, just a sniffle here and there, but gone a heck of a lot sooner. Well, I probably just ruined that by saying it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 06:39 PM

199 posts, read 219,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinbackfl View Post
Ya know, now that you mentioned it we haven't been sick since we got here 2 years ago, just a sniffle here and there, but gone a heck of a lot sooner. Well, I probably just ruined that by saying it!!
Very true. When we lived up north, all the kids and parents would get 3-4 cold/flus a year. None of us have been sick for 5 years now. Just another blessing of living in Florida!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Ahhh, that is why you have Remote Start! You need it here too... it is too HOT to get in the car to go someplace without letting it run with the AC on for a while. But that is OK!!

Atleast I have been able to open up the house and get some fresh air!
B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L !!
The only remote I want to use is for the garage door in Florida on our way to the sunny beach !!!

Just think, in 9 months I will be able to go outside again and not get a sinus headache, earache or sore throat.

You are so lucky Ocala, beautiful town, beautiful weather and you can open your windows and smell that awesome Florida air.

Wish I could be there too.....

We are counting down the days to a real life !!!!

You know it's bad when your 9 year old tells you "Daddy, don't you think we have had enough of this crappy weather, let's head south... pleeeese..

Old 10-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
Very true. When we lived up north, all the kids and parents would get 3-4 cold/flus a year. None of us have been sick for 5 years now. Just another blessing of living in Florida!
If it were not for Allegra D and Tylenol Sinus I would not make it in this dungeon.

Already 2 colds and a sinus infection. I cannot take any more Vit C... unless it's the natural kind in FLA BABY !!!

Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Floridabound09,
Don't want to burst any bubbles here.... but some people experience worsened allergy symptoms in Florida. In addition to the normal plant/tree pollen allergens, there is a huge mold problem, and "Red Tide".

Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
I guess Im not the only one excited about our Florida winters! I need a break from the heat- I love our little 'cold snaps'. Hasn't reached us down here yet but I'm still waiting....

Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Floridabound09,
Don't want to burst any bubbles here.... but some people experience worsened allergy symptoms in Florida. In addition to the normal plant/tree pollen allergens, there is a huge mold problem, and "Red Tide".
Mold doesn't bother me, its the change in the temps that gets me, your sinuses expand to allow for the temp changes, mine do not open up enough and therefore I get stuffy and that turns into an infection.

I am in Florida all the time, spent 4-5 weeks per year there and do not ever remember having a headache while in Florida, fact is when I hit the heat with a sinus headache, it goes away real soon.

I usually come down after Christmas day to spend New Years Eve at Disney with a terrible sinus infection, I am there about a day or so and I can breathe !

For us, We will take the heat anyday over this cold. We love it in August, 85-90 is perfection to us.

Don't worry, you won't bust my bubble, there is nothing anyone can say or do that keeps me from loving Florida and from getting excited to move there.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Floridabound09,
Yes, I never had any allergies in my life till I came here and got cedar fever (this was when we were still on the Gulf side.) It was hellacious until I figured out what was wrong with me and got Claritin, which cleared it right up.

OTOH
My husband, who suffered miserably with allergies in Colorado, has been absolutely fine here; it will be two years we've been in Florida at the end of this month and he has been sniffle-free.

No place is perfect.
There is always a trade-off wherever you go.
You can still get colds and flu here even if the winter is mild, it's all about germs.
Red Tide can appear, but it goes away just as snow will melt.

I think it's good to stop and enjoy those moments when everything seems perfect. This does not mean to rain on somebody else's parade.
I just was enjoying the glorious cooler weather here.
I did not intend to develop yet another Florida booster vs naysayer thread, but I guess they all do.
This pic is at the lake near our house. See all those white dots?
They are great egrets that roost in those trees during the night. At dawn, they all begin flying off for the day. It is so silent and majestic.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 AM

199 posts, read 219,801 times
Allergies depend on the person, different people have sensitivities to different things. But we have found that any allergies can be easily treated by an allergist. The medications for allergies are improving all the time.

But having the entire family take turns getting a cold/flu all winter is a mess.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM

495 posts, read 2,328,398 times
Dang! The heat and humidity is back.

Although at least it is not in the 90s, just mid to upper 80s. But it does feel like summer again.

Plus the skeeters jus had a big hatch and they are badnews outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida