Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,324 times

Advertisements

Whatever you do don't buy a car that you plan to register in Florida within 6 months of moving here in another state. There is some law that if you did so, even if you paid sales tax in the state you bought it in you will have to pay Florida sales tax for it again.

I had bought a used car 3 months before moving here 4 and a half years ago. I wasn't sure if I was gonna stay so I kept my car registered and insured in NJ until I knew I would like it here and stay and also so that the 6 month time period was up.

DMV is really messed up here in Florida. There are offices for drivers licences and then there are other offices for Registrations, plates, and titles. Some are private and charge an extra fee. One I went to was very rude and badly run and the workers were miserable there. There was no information desk. I asked the lady who was ignoring me where the information person was. She told me I had to wait in line to get info. Really, you think I'm gonna wait 3 hours for everyone else to do their transactions to ask you a question? You know what you can do lady. Also the registration and other fees are paid to "the tax collector". At least there is no auto inspection, so that's one less worry.

Car insurance rates went up about two years ago, I had to leave All State and find some other company I never heard of to insure with and lower all the coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 02:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
1. You don't have to buy a car in FL to register it. Depending on how long ago you bought it... you may have to pay additional taxes on it.
Perhaps that wasn't clear........if you register the car in Fl, you buy the insurance in Fl, not the car.
It doesn't matter how long ago you bought the car.New or used, all new registrations incur a fee.

There is a special fee for 1st time registrations
"Initial Registration fee $225
This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer."

This, as well as all the other information you need is here....
Diane Nelson, CFC, Pinellas County Tax Collector or here......
Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses

The 90 thing.......if you make Florida your permanent residence, you need to adhere to the 90 day rule.
For instance, even though we own homes in both states, NY remains our residence. It is where we vote, pay taxes, etc,etc.
Generally speaking,where you spend the most time (the 6 month and one day rule) is what determines that.
Usually, students are exempt from that.

Last edited by old_cold; 11-18-2012 at 02:49 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 AM

616 posts, read 1,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps that wasn't clear........if you register the car in Fl, you buy the insurance in Fl, not the car.
It doesn't matter how long ago you bought the car.New or used, all new registrations incur a fee.

There is a special fee for 1st time registrations
"Initial Registration fee $225
This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer."

This, as well as all the other information you need is here....
Diane Nelson, CFC, Pinellas County Tax Collector or here......
Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses

The 90 thing.......if you make Florida your permanent residence, you need to adhere to the 90 day rule.
For instance, even though we own homes in both states, NY remains our residence. It is where we vote, pay taxes, etc,etc.
Generally speaking,where you spend the most time (the 6 month and one day rule) is what determines that.
Usually, students are exempt from that.
You can buy Fl car insurance in whatever state you live in currently - as long as they are able to sell FL insurance. We bought our FL insurance while still living in Ohio - they transferred us to their FL sales dept.

Technically you have 10 days to register your car. 30 days for your license.

Moving to Florida

I do not know how / what applies to students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida