Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:52 AM

27 posts, read 68,274 times

Advertisements

Someone PLEASE give me some kind of idea of what life is like in this area of Florida?

Anyone know anything about work at US Sugar?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by love2beach; 10-13-2007 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Double post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 04:51 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,834,667 times
Depending where in NJ you live, I would imagine Clewiston would be quite a culture shock. It's a little backward and mostly immigrants. Visit before you make a decision.

You could live elsewhere and commute though.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:20 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,318 times
Have you ever been to Clewiston? Not to hurt anybody's feelings, but i know i would NEVER live there.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Any info about the surrounding areas would be appreciated too.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:05 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2beach View Post
Someone PLEASE give me some kind of idea of what life is like in this area of Florida?

Thanks in advance!
The surrounding area is Belle Glade, South Bay and etc. If you like living in Newark, Patterson or Camden, NJ then you'll feel right at home.

There isn't much there other then poverty and crime and you will have to drive very far west or east to do anything interesting.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:15 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,834,667 times
I was trying to be nice to Clewiston with my post. You definitely don't want to live in the middle of the state in deep south Florida.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
It used to be kind of worth it for the low real estate prices, but fools from all over bubbled up properties in Hendry County. The property taxes there are some of the highest in Florida. There's NOTHING to do except get mugged, the best looking building there is the US sugar offices, the rest of the town is as ugly as Homestead. In 1993 when I first went there I had friends living there, but now it's like a third world country. If you can get a good job there you can find some nice homes around, even if you had to live in Montura Ranch, but don't expect a lively town. South Bay is even worse than Clewiston, and you don't even want to know about Belle Glade....

By the way you never mentioned what KIND of work you would do for US sugar. A friend's dad worked with them as a mechanic for many years, and before that worked at the now forgotten Talisman sugar mill.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2beach View Post

Thanks in advance!
Well, I'm Steveo and I'm moving there from here, Cali of course. So out of everyone's ideas, I Saint Steveo would have to say, Visit first yes. I love it for the fishing, friends and whatever else(nothing). I've been there three or four times in the past three years. I guess you could call it networking. What are your trades? Never know you may be typing with a fellow co worker=)

SS

Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Hubby is a welder, saw an add for US Sugar - of course it sounded too good to be true. We are looking to move south, more around southern N. Carolina or S. Carolina, just seems impossible to get a company to answer back when hubby sends resume's out.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 PM

128 posts, read 648,046 times
I have lived in Florida for thirty years and a long time ago I drove a delivery truck for a local plumbing supplier. Clewiston was part of my route and US suger was one of my stops,I must say it is quite different out there. Some of it was the hometown felling,I had one customer that would offer me lunch everytime and another I would sit and have a glass of ice tea every week. I think I probably had contact with the true hometowners but I must say they were really very nice. I think the only thing I saw was the Rollin Martin fishing resort not much else. I know the town is full of migrant workers but the real folks are probably the nicest people I have ever met since I moved to Florida. In closing you must visit first because it is rural and it may not be what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida