Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 AM

19 posts, read 33,981 times

Advertisements

I relocated from Buffalo, NY to Charlotte, NC last year. I thought I would absolutely love Charlotte.....But am I loving Charlotte? No...But it is okay. I'm not necessarily tied to one location because I am a Consultant. So I can basically live anywhere. I recently visited Orlando and Port Saint Lucie, FL and loved the weather. Coming from Buffalo where in November you're struggling to keep warm versus visiting Florida and wearing shorts in November is a wonderful thing. I thought the weather in Charlotte was idea for me but truth is I am loving the Florida weather. I have a high school senior so I would have to wait until she finishes school before I decide on anything. I also have an elementary school student that I would need to worry about. I should also mention I have a 23 year old. So I would need somewhere in Florida where we all would enjoy. The 23 year old would need a job and also a decent nightlife. The elementary student would need a good school. And I would need a decent environment to accommodate this all. I like to go out every now and then. I love meeting new people and doing different things. So please help me out. I know there is crime everywhere but I'm looking for minimal crime, maybe decent public transportation, good housing in addition to the things mentioned above. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 AM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moposh View Post
I relocated from Buffalo, NY to Charlotte, NC last year. I thought I would absolutely love Charlotte.....But am I loving Charlotte? No...But it is okay. I'm not necessarily tied to one location because I am a Consultant. So I can basically live anywhere. I recently visited Orlando and Port Saint Lucie, FL and loved the weather. Coming from Buffalo where in November you're struggling to keep warm versus visiting Florida and wearing shorts in November is a wonderful thing. I thought the weather in Charlotte was idea for me but truth is I am loving the Florida weather. I have a high school senior so I would have to wait until she finishes school before I decide on anything. I also have an elementary school student that I would need to worry about. I should also mention I have a 23 year old. So I would need somewhere in Florida where we all would enjoy. The 23 year old would need a job and also a decent nightlife. The elementary student would need a good school. And I would need a decent environment to accommodate this all. I like to go out every now and then. I love meeting new people and doing different things. So please help me out. I know there is crime everywhere but I'm looking for minimal crime, maybe decent public transportation, good housing in addition to the things mentioned above. Thanks in advance!

lol if you didnt like Charlotte, FL is not any better, GL

Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM

Charlotte isn't bad. I only said I'm not loving it. What is it that you don't like about Florida? The weather alone sold me but I'm looking for pros and cons. Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Public transportation is far from reliable here.
As far as your 23 year old needing a job, if they're background's in hotel, or the service industry, they might have a shot at finding work, but I'm sure you're aware the jobs are low paying here.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
I would say Tallahassee. Great city.

IF your looking for a bigger city, you cant beat Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Fort Myers/Cape coral wouldnt be bad.

Neither would Sarasota/Bradenton.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Weather has to be considered because there is a big difference between NC and FL. I lived about 50 minutes outside of Charlotte after spending 23 years in Orlando. The summers were nearly as hot and humid, just not for as long of a time. I'd say the Carolina summer started a month later and ended a month earlier, however during those months Florida can have some amazing days too. The fall is beautiful in both places as the cooler temps prompt buying firewood, hot cocoa, and sweaters. The main difference is when November rolls around and FL is averaging 60-70's, the temps near Charlotte can drop and the leaves are guaranteed to. Winter is cold, but not by up north's standards, and we got some snow about 3 times per year. When spring finally rolls around, you are counting the days until the sweaters come off and the leaves return, end of March, early May Very sad for somebody who loves the evergreen, verdant climate of Florida which still gives you cooler temps for 1/2 of the year.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Weather has to be considered because there is a big difference between NC and FL. I lived about 50 minutes outside of Charlotte after spending 23 years in Orlando. The summers were nearly as hot and humid, just not for as long of a time. I'd say the Carolina summer started a month later and ended a month earlier, however during those months Florida can have some amazing days too. The fall is beautiful in both places as the cooler temps prompt buying firewood, hot cocoa, and sweaters. The main difference is when November rolls around and FL is averaging 60-70's, the temps near Charlotte can drop and the leaves are guaranteed to. Winter is cold, but not by up north's standards, and we got some snow about 3 times per year. When spring finally rolls around, you are counting the days until the sweaters come off and the leaves return, end of March, early May :( Very sad for somebody who loves the evergreen, verdant climate of Florida which still gives you cooler temps for 1/2 of the year.
And this is why I love Florida and am never leaving!

OP, there are many cities where you could could all enjoy a Florida lifestyle, but we would need more info and specifics, re: budget and what your preferences are (coastal or inland, north or south FL, etc) Florida is a big state and is more diverse than people realize.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
The only "decent" public transit system in the state is in Miami.

The best school districts in Florida (out of 67 Counties, in order from the top):
1. St Johns County (just south of Jacksonville)
2. Santa Rosa County (just east of Pensacola at the tip of the Panhandle)
3. Martin County (just south of Port St Lucie)
4. Sarasota County (Sarasota and surrounding towns)
5. Gilchrist County (small rural county west of Gainesville)
6. Okaloosa County (east of Santa Rosa County in the Panhandle)
7. Seminole County (northeast of Orlando)
8. Brevard County (central Atlantic Coast)
8. Monroe County (Florida Keys)
10. Sumter County (NW Central section)

Throwing out the transit criteria....in terms of lower crime rate, quality schools, nice housing options and access to both jobs and nightlife....St John's County would make the most sense. Jacksonville (30 minute commute or less) offers the best job market of the big cities in the state (also arguably the most diversified) and nightlife/entertainment options primarily focused on the south side of town close to the St Johns County line. Check out the unincorporated areas around Julington Creek and Durbin Crossing, as well as the northeast end around Ponte Vedra/Ponte Vedra Beach.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
And what kind of climate are you looking for? Parts of Florida (generally those south of a line drawn around the Vero Beach area) are sub-tropical. Those north of the line aren't. OTOH - there is no place in Florida (unlike NC) where snow or ice storms are anything but freak things that happen once every 20-30 years. On the third hand - you will get hard freezes in north Florida (fewer and shorter lasting along the coast than inland).

I lived in Miami for 20+ years before I moved here to St. Johns County 15 years ago. And I much preferred the weather in Miami (I feel cold when it's 60 degrees outside).

OTOH - you're looking for things other than weather. We in St. Johns County probably have the best public school system in the state (I don't have kids - that's just what I read in the papers). Presumably - your middle child will be going to college (who knows where). As for the eldest - what does he/she do for a living? The Florida job market is - in general - mediocre or worse. Depending on what the 23 year old does - it may be time for him/her to leave the nest. Robyn

Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Gypsychic...As far as budget...I'm guessing you're thinking in terms of housing. Currently I'm renting a 3 bedroom apartment for around $1000. I'm thinking I want something more in the middle of the state or South since I'm getting it gets colder in Northern Florida.

Thanks for the information on the transporation Kyle.

Robyn....I'm thinking more South. I want to avoid the cold....Growing up in Buffalo/Niagara Falls has turned me against any cold weather. My eldest has worked in retail and hospitality areas.

Thanks for the responses. I compare the weather a lot to determine how the temperatures vary. I know the country is hurting as a whole as far as employment so my daughter may run into an issue no matter where she goes. I know it may be difficult to fulfill every want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida