Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 152,397 times

Advertisements

I had posted a thread on which areas are best for schools, but i also need feedback on special ed services. I have an 8 year old son who is autistic and I need to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with their respective school districts. My son is in an inclusion class now and has an aide with him some of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Specifically Palm Beach County

Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 AM

672 posts, read 904,941 times
I am a ESE Assistant working one on one with an autistic 5 year old all day. He is in a self contained, varying exceptionalities classroom. I do all the work with him, including taking him to recess and to lunch. From what I understand, this school district does have special classes just for autistic children with ABS staff on duty full time in this school.

Sorry, don't know about Palm Beach County. I am in Collier.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 62,133 times
I don't live in Florida to give you an Idea of the school systems there, but I work in Social Services and I have an autistic 14yr old boy.

Before you seek schools if you havent already ---have your child evaluated with your own doctors. Neurological and developmental first. There are a series of tests on a computer your child can take called Assistive technologies which can see the strengths and weekness. Once you see what the childs' needs are---go to your child study team appointed from the district and REQUEST IN WRITING a formal interview to discuss out-of-district schools which fit your childs needs based on the findings of YOUR DOCTORS. Don't try to find a school based on another person's opinion without knowing where your child weekness are. Also, find out all the laws of your state for special needs children. Go to the Board of Education and request a copy. By law this copy must be kept in the office of the school district. Learn what the procedure is for everything. Remember I told you this, anything you write to the districts' Special Needs Superintendant has to be replied to you in writing usually within a certain number of days. Make yourself vocal with everything within the district. Find out which board members has special needs children. Get on their side about issues which will effect your child. Become an advocate for your baby.

My son was diagnosed with Autisum at the age of 3 and I had to learn this the hard way. However, for the last 7 years he's attended an out-of-district special needs school for higher functioning autistic children. Now he takes computers daily, all reports has to be typed, he's on the swim team and practices at a local University. Last year they went to NYC to see Phantom of the Opera. Im saying all this because if someone didn't dummy me up on what I can advocate for and how to do it, I'd still have my son in inclusion in a regular classroom. Good Luck to you. I'm always willing to help a mom get thro it all since another mom helped me. I work for the oldest non-profit in the nation. e-mail me if I can help you navigate the system.
~Autumn

Old 10-14-2007, 12:11 PM

thank you very much for your help

Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
In Florida we have McKay scholarships. If your child has an IEP, you can explore private schools and the state will give you the state rate to pay for the private school.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 62,133 times
Are you kidding me?? You have to pay for the special needs school?? If I had to pay for my son's school he wouldn't be able to attend. These schools are in the $30.000 range. You've got to learn the laws of your state. That way you can avoid a pay plan. If that's the case I wouldn't be able to send my kid to college (which he plans to go). Mom do your research. Learn the laws, get your baby evaluated privately. Medicaid will pay for evaluations nationwide. I don't know what your tax bracket is but from my experience special needs can be pricey. In New Jersey, the federal gov't pays the school district extra monies per each student attending a private school for any special needs. Hence why I said learn the laws of your state!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 PM

63 posts, read 263,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
Are you kidding me?? You have to pay for the special needs school?? If I had to pay for my son's school he wouldn't be able to attend. These schools are in the $30.000 range. You've got to learn the laws of your state. That way you can avoid a pay plan. If that's the case I wouldn't be able to send my kid to college (which he plans to go). Mom do your research. Learn the laws, get your baby evaluated privately. Medicaid will pay for evaluations nationwide. I don't know what your tax bracket is but from my experience special needs can be pricey. In New Jersey, the federal gov't pays the school district extra monies per each student attending a private school for any special needs. Hence why I said learn the laws of your state!!!
Jaust,
I agree with Autumnbreze you have to know the laws of your state. Talk directly to the schools where you think you will move, go see them in person. I don't know where you live now, I live in NY and the education system, IMO is a better one then in Florida. We still however have a dream of moving to WPB. I have three children and our middle one has ADHD and recieves special services in NY, self contained classes(which are different from what I have been told in Fla.)academic support classes my child also recieves. The class sizes that a special needs child needs are smaller here then they are in Florida. I was told this from the school directly in WPB. I do wonder however with the housing marked the way it is in the area and all the people moving away if the class sizes will become smaller. I was told before the market really started to go down that the public schools in the area were overcrowded. Good Luck to you and your family and keep researching and asking questions!!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
I have a special needs child and you have to give the public schools a chance to provide services for your child before you can have the option of going to a private special ed school at no cost. You can't just choose special ed schools without trying public first and expect the school system to pay for it or at least put up a fight with you first. If you are not satisfied with what the school provides, then the next step is choosing a special ed school related to your childs problem and the school will have to pay for the school. Now every child and scenario is different. I have a blind child and to put her in a blind childrens school really is my choice either way whether i want to try public schools or not because most public schools do not have blind children in them but i gave them a chance first and the public school has done wonders for her so that's where i kept her.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaust View Post
Specifically Palm Beach County
Check ST. MARY`S PRE-K AUTISTIC SCHOOL, might be able to provide more info:
ST. MARY`S PRE-K AUTISTIC SCHOOL, WEST PALM BEACH, Florida Public Schools and Teen Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida