Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times

Advertisements

Go to the pound and get a dog...the best protection and cheapest protection you will ever need......

We have two dogs and even when they are snoring...they hear what's going on outside long before we do...which they indicate with their low belly growls before barking...if someone is dumb enough to think of entering your home they will be greeted by a barking dog which will also alert you in more than enough time to get the 12Guage......

I have added a flash light and laser to my 410, both touch on, so in the event I have to use it...I can not only see what I'm shooting at...but I know where the shot is going to go...by the way...I do not know of anyone that will not wet their pants when they hear the sound of a shotgun racking a shell......especially when they are somewhere they do not belong...

You might also want to practice some night shots...a totally different experience...pointing and shooting under dim/no light situations is completely different than day light shooting...that is why I added the Flash light and laser site...much easier to shoot from the hip and hit the M-F'er that's in your home...I promise you...the best money you will ever spend updating your weapon...

Good Hunting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Do you really believe that?
Yes, home invasions are usually not random. I'm not saying they don't happen, it's just not something I spend time worrying about.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Heck, I dont worry about them either. I am prepared for the unlikely event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Yes, home invasions are usually not random. I'm not saying they don't happen, it's just not something I spend time worrying about.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
On the streets I carry a dummy wallet in my back pocket, it has a bitter surprise when someone opens it. I do keep a small piece handy for really desperate situations but I doubt anyone can know it is there. In my home I set it up to thwart home invasions. There are pop-up treadles in my driveway, razor wire and trap pits to avoid intruders. I have cctv with 32 cameras. All the interior doors are solid core and instantly lockable. My exterior doors are concrete filled and the windows are 1.5" thick acrylic. If invaders do get in, they will be helpless. The best way to avoid trouble when you carry is to keep your distance from suspicious characters.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
I dont understand the need for a concealed weapon. If you carry a weapon for protection, isn't better if it was obvious that you were carrying a weapon?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
On the streets I carry a dummy wallet in my back pocket, it has a bitter surprise when someone opens it. I do keep a small piece handy for really desperate situations but I doubt anyone can know it is there. In my home I set it up to thwart home invasions. There are pop-up treadles in my driveway, razor wire and trap pits to avoid intruders. I have cctv with 32 cameras. All the interior doors are solid core and instantly lockable. My exterior doors are concrete filled and the windows are 1.5" thick acrylic. If invaders do get in, they will be helpless. The best way to avoid trouble when you carry is to keep your distance from suspicious characters.
On the assumption you arent just being sarcastic to make a point,
Do you ever get the feeling something has gone terribly wrong with society when you only feel safe living in an armed bunker?I couldnt live in an area where i would need to go to those extremes to prevent home invasion.
Do levels of home invasion in your area warrant such draconian levels of defense or are you just being overly paranoid?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,602 times
Question An Armed Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
On the assumption you arent just being sarcastic to make a point,
Do you ever get the feeling something has gone terribly wrong with society when you only feel safe living in an armed bunker?I couldnt live in an area where i would need to go to those extremes to prevent home invasion.
Do levels of home invasion in your area warrant such draconian levels of defense or are you just being overly paranoid?
When looking for homes around Miami...I cannot tell you how many neighborhoods we drove through were almost ever one had steel bars not only on their windows......but surrounding their property as well......so I guess living in a bunker is lot more common in some area's......or perhaps a sign of things to come......

Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
I should think you would have completed your preparations by getting "off the grid".

Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
People in NYC have been using such extravagant measures for years. Steel bars and cages around the front of the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
When looking for homes around Miami...I cannot tell you how many neighborhoods we drove through were almost ever one had steel bars not only on their windows......but surrounding their property as well......so I guess living in a bunker is lot more common in some area's......or perhaps a sign of things to come......

Old 12-15-2012, 06:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I am largely off the grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida