Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 54,841 times

Advertisements

NHtoFLMom,

We are very interested to know what suburb you live in that has a high percentage of young people? My family and I are considering moving to Tampa and are having difficulty researching specific neighborhoods since we are currently in NY. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHtoFLMom View Post
I suggest you spend some time driving around both areas and spending time on their county school websites. I live in a suburb area of Tampa and absolutely love it. The schools that my children attend (elementary and middle) are all A rated under the Florida state report card system and all have very strong PTAs. We moved from NH in 2004 and my children have had no difficulty adjusting. They are involved in activities/sports and we have made many friends. We chose an area of Tampa that has a high percentage of young families and is not considered a retirement area. Good luck in your search process. If you would like to PM and communicate further, I would be happy to.
Looking to move to Tampa with 2 teenaged girls. What area is good, with gated communities? What area do you live in?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,889 times
Default Tampa, fl

I moved from Georgia to Tampa, FL in 2003 and I absolutely love it!!! Actually, I lived in Riverview, FL. It's the perfect place if you're married with children. However, I would NOT recommend Tampa, Fl if you're single.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,677 times
Default Moving to the Tampa area

Hi. We'll be moving from Northern Virginia to the Tampa area because of my work. Can anyone tell me the names of nice communities within commuting distance of MacDill AFB. We have three boys (middle and high school age). Thanks.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 22,025 times
Default Where in Tampa!

Hola!

I am in the exact same position as dajanaj - recently got a job at MacDill (no i am not military) and i am moving from Central Virginia with 4 kids - 8, 6, 2/2 ....what in the heck do we do!? I am suprised by how much negative feedback i am reading from other residents of Tampa on some of the other posts! Some of ya'll make it seem like a warzone down there.
Since it seems that as much info as possible is the key to getting a good answer i'm going to try and give as much info as i can. Like i said, have a wife and 4 kids we are both 28 years old, pretty hip dudes, we want to be not to far off from the coast and since we dont have too much time (I start 3 Aug) we may look at a rent to own, but we know its pretty reasonable to look for a 200k home...we just dont know where.
On a map, St.Petersburg looks perfect, but the posters on this site talk about it as if its South Central LA or Iraq...so...what do we do!?
Again, im in the same boat as dajanaj and am looking to not be too far from MacDill...no more than 45 min.

We would REALLY appreciate the feedback and any helpful advise...this is huge for us.

Last edited by IAMSCIENCE; 07-18-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSCIENCE View Post
Hola!

I am in the exact same position as dajanaj - recently got a job at MacDill (no i am not military) and i am moving from Central Virginia with 4 kids - 8, 6, 2/2 ....what in the heck do we do!? I am suprised by how much negative feedback i am reading from other residents of Tampa on some of the other posts! Some of ya'll make it seem like a warzone down there.
Since it seems that as much info as possible is the key to getting a good answer i'm going to try and give as much info as i can. Like i said, have a wife and 4 kids we are both 28 years old, pretty hip dudes, we want to be not to far off from the coast and since we dont have too much time (I start 3 Aug) we may look at a rent to own, but we know its pretty reasonable to look for a 200k home...we just dont know where.
On a map, St.Petersburg looks perfect, but the posters on this site talk about it as if its South Central LA or Iraq...so...what do we do!?
Again, im in the same boat as dajanaj and am looking to not be too far from MacDill...no more than 45 min.

We would REALLY appreciate the feedback and any helpful advise...this is huge for us.

You both would have better luck with responses on this if you created a thread with MacDill in the title.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 15,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSCIENCE View Post
Hola!

I personally love Tampa, I have been living here for 15 years. The weather is perfect. About the schools, there is a program named Magnet schools that offer schools with especial themes (ex. Art, technology, world studies, dance, etc) these schools are mostly graded A schools and are like private schools, but public, you do not have to pay. The only thing is that you have to fill out an application and be accepted to be able to go to this schools. I guess you already move to the area, but I wanted to tell you about the magnet schools, you can get more info in the hillsborough county school district website.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,126 times
This thread is encouraging....I have lived in Upstate NY my entire life and am ready to get out for many reasons (long winters, NY taxes, small market airport). We have some family in the Tampa area and are strongly considering a move to Wesley Chapel (Seven Oaks). My wife and I both travel for business so we can work from anywhere (just need a good airport).

New York schools are fantastic so we are little concerned with finding good schools for our two boys (they are young - 5 and 2) but probably won't be a problem as long as we research. Other than that, I have a slight fear of the level of heat/humidity in the summer months but may be able to tolerate it in anticipation of the mild winters....thanks.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 34,413 times
Do you mind sharing the name of the county that you live currently? I'm concerned about the crime rate in Fl and your answer is hopeful for for me.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange24 View Post
This thread is encouraging....I have lived in Upstate NY my entire life and am ready to get out for many reasons (long winters, NY taxes, small market airport). We have some family in the Tampa area and are strongly considering a move to Wesley Chapel (Seven Oaks). My wife and I both travel for business so we can work from anywhere (just need a good airport).

New York schools are fantastic so we are little concerned with finding good schools for our two boys (they are young - 5 and 2) but probably won't be a problem as long as we research. Other than that, I have a slight fear of the level of heat/humidity in the summer months but may be able to tolerate it in anticipation of the mild winters....thanks.
Hi , Can you also help me please . We are looking to Move to Tampa from The UK, what are the best areas of Tampa ? and also what are the names of the schools ?

Is there a lot to do for the children ?

Thanks

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida