Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,191 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the opinions. I'll check into each place. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 AM

792 posts, read 2,287,015 times
Even though I can't personally afford to live there, I have driven through the area and I think Naples would be an awesome place to live if you got the means.

Around my area, you have places like Tierra Verde that are on the water and very nice.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,769,845 times
While that income gives you lots of options, what is your housing budget?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,269,623 times
Naples for sure

Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,217,921 times
Key Colony Beach in the FL Keys. Nearest hospital is Fishermans Hospital in Marathon roughly 10 minutes away. Fishermens Hospital - Marathon, Florida

As for KCB, it's absolutely fantastic. City of Key Colony Beach - official website Good luck.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,274,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out the Fountainbleu II condominium on Miami Beach, which has hotel services run by the neighboring luxury Fountainbleu Hotel.
agreed

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM

73 posts, read 193,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dural View Post
Hello, hello. I'm pondering moving to southern Florida, and I'd like to get some opinions on the best place to go.
About me:
  • I'm a successful writer, making $300,000+ per year, so I don't need a job, nor do I have to commute.
  • I have no kids, so schools don't matter.
  • I like warm leather. Anything below 80° F is cold to me.
  • I want to live in a condo on the beach. Ideally, it should be like a hotel with a concierge staff, an on-premises restaurant, etc.
  • Nightlife is unimportant. I never go to bars or clubs.
  • I have some health issues, so I need to live within 45 min. of a good hospital.
  • I speak fluent Spanish. I'm also fine with Latinos, regardless of where they're from.
At first, I thought California would be a good match, but I've spent the last six months traveling around San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, and San Francisco, and I have to say, I didn't fall in love with any of them. San Diego, Sacramento, and San Francisco were too cold for me. Los Angeles is just too big. Also, the California income taxes are murderous for higher incomes like mine.

So, I'm thinking Florida might be a better fit. If anyone has recommendations, I would be grateful. I'm planning to spend a couple of weeks in a few cities and decide from there.

So far, I'm thinking Fort Lauderdale could be a good match. Or maybe Fort Myers? I think I would also like the keys, but I don't know if there's a good hospital anywhere down there.

Would love to get some opinions. Thanks!
Dural: We must be twins! I did the same thing. I checked out the West Coast / California, and came to same conclusion you did. I relocated to east Broward county, near downtown Ft. Laud but after 2 years, I am no liking what I see here. I also thought about the Keys, Naples and Sarasota. However, a Writer too, I also travel for my work, abroad. MIA is convenient. Checking out areas I listed and Jupiter. Come back and let us know what happens. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
While that income gives you lots of options, what is your housing budget?
Well, I plan on renting for the first year, so I can do a bit of exploring and find out where I want to live. Planning to budget $3,500 per month or so.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,769,845 times
Quote:
Well, I plan on renting for the first year, so I can do a bit of exploring and find out where I want to live. Planning to budget $3,500 per month or so.
You won't have any trouble finding someplace that meets your needs. In general, the metro areas will have the more advanced medical facilities.

I agree with the others. Start with Miami Beach.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
Quote:
Hello, hello. I'm pondering moving to southern Florida, and I'd like to get some opinions on the best place to go.

About me:

• I'm a successful writer, making $300,000+ per year, so I don't need a job, nor do I have to commute.
  • I have no kids, so schools don't matter.
  • I like warm leather. Anything below 80° F is cold to me.
  • I want to live in a condo on the beach. Ideally, it should be like a hotel with a concierge staff, an on-premises restaurant, etc.
  • Nightlife is unimportant. I never go to bars or clubs.
  • I have some health issues, so I need to live within 45 min. of a good hospital.
  • I speak fluent Spanish. I'm also fine with Latinos, regardless of where they're from.
At first, I thought California would be a good match, but I've spent the last six months traveling around San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, and San Francisco, and I have to say, I didn't fall in love with any of them. San Diego, Sacramento, and San Francisco were too cold for me. Los Angeles is just too big. Also, the California income taxes are murderous for higher incomes like mine.

So, I'm thinking Florida might be a better fit. If anyone has recommendations, I would be grateful. I'm planning to spend a couple of weeks in a few cities and decide from there.

So far, I'm thinking Fort Lauderdale could be a good match. Or maybe Fort Myers? I think I would also like the keys, but I don't know if there's a good hospital anywhere down there.

Would love to get some opinions. Thanks!
How much do you want to spend? $300K in income is nice but it isn't enough to buy without regard to price along the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida