Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 21,542 times

Advertisements

My friend, Bradley, and myself are moving from England to Florida for 3 or so months as we have spent time there before and really enjoyed both the climate and people. We already have accomodation as Brad's parents bought a house there a couple of years ago. During this time it would be really helpful if we had some form of job so that we have some money to play around with. We were just wondering what kind of work permit we would need seeing that it would only be a very short term of employment and also how about we go about obtaining the permit.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM

66 posts, read 313,091 times
Tom,
It's refreshing to see someone actually ask about work permits. Florida's low estimate is 337,000 ILLEGAL visiters LIVING here. If I were you, I would just ask around and get a cash-only job. At least you plan on going home and not staying to have babies.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 49,193 times
Default Visitors in the United States

If you are coming to the United States with a B-2 Visitor Visa you are immediately Out of Status if you work in the United States. Employers cannot legally hire a non legal immigrants or in your case a visitor. If you do find employment, you will be violating Immigration Laws of the United States and if caught be set of for Removal Proceeding, (Deportation) and be sent to detention until you go before an immigration judge.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 PM

So is there actually any way that we can work legally during our stay or is it simply a case of having to raise funds before we set off? (Cash-in-hand work is illegal right?)
Thanks,
Tom

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 49,193 times
There are work Visas available but many require sponsorships, such as working at Disney, Theme Parks , and Hotels. These are J-1 Visas, but you will need a College to sponsor you to get these jobs. You can find a list of Visas available online. Also try contacting Disney Employment and ask them what is needed to obtain foriegn employment. My nephew from Mexico worked a summer in New York, at a resort he was sponsored from his college in Mexico. He had a good time but many of these programs require 6 day work weeks and not much time to do muck of anything else.

I dont want to discourage you with your dreams but it is becoming differcult to gain employment in the united States without proper documents. The persons apprehended in Florida for being either undocumented migrants or out of status on their current Visa believe that they wont get caught by immigration but they are out there. Also a WA/NTA removal (deportation) is formal removal resulting in not being able to return to the united States for ten years.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 PM

250 posts, read 1,469,925 times
You will not be able to work without the proper visa. you can only visit on an I94 which allows you to stay in the country for 90 days - overstay those 90 days and you woont be allowed back in. You cannot work at all on a VWP (visa Waiver)

It is very difficult to get a visa to come to America as someone has already said without getting a Sponsor. i am a Nurse and it took me 3 years to get here for my green card and it is more difficult for nurses to come out here from the UK now so I have been very lucky to get here when i did.

Even if you came out on a B2 visa which allows you up to 6 months in the country you can not work. I am sorry to give you this news but dont want you to risk not being able to come back in the country if you are found to be illegally working. You may need to show the POE on arrival here that you have something to go back to in the UK - i.e. like mortgage, proof of job etc - be prepared for some tough questions.

PM me if you need more help as I know a lot of people on another forum for Florida that can give you advise but it will be pretty much what has already been said....

Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,604 times
If you plan to come to the USA from Britain and want to work, or earn money you have to talk to an immigration attorney. There is no easy way. I, like Sue, have come the legal way. Do not risk being caught in these times of tightening up of immigration laws. You both sound young (?), and probably not full time employed yet? Are you thinking of a gap year? Why not try and do a study year here instead? A smaller college might be affordable like St Petersburg College and they do take foreign students, not sure what the fees are. I'm not sure if you study whether you can work part time or not, hence my comment to talk to an attorney. I have a contact if you PM me. The other forums on Florida are very geared towards Immigration and investment/business visas, not sure if this is what you are looking for. They are very informative for those making a permenant or long term move. An attorney could probably clarify this, but if you are staying in a parent's home and they know you are supporting yourself by illegally working, it may put them in a difficult position also, as they are aiding and abetting you in a federal crime - I think

Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 AM

Yeah. Thank you all for your replies. As you guessed - we are only 19 and this was just an idea for part of our gap year but we've realised that it will be near impossible for us to get a legal job and seeing that it would only be the case for a couple of months it isn't worth the admin. We've now changed our plans and are coming toi Florida for a week or so once we have finished travelling around South-East Asia. Again, thank you all for your responses as they have helped us avoid wasting time on a lost cause as well as giving us some insight into the legal system should we need to want to move to America in the future...

Old 12-02-2007, 07:49 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,498,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcorbin View Post
Tom,
It's refreshing to see someone actually ask about work permits. Florida's low estimate is 337,000 ILLEGAL visiters LIVING here. If I were you, I would just ask around and get a cash-only job. At least you plan on going home and not staying to have babies.
I think it is wrong for anyone to be encouraging people to come and work here illegally.
People are having a hard enough time finding work right now.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,964 times
Hi
Please can someone help . My wife , son and I are looking to move to Florida as we have our own villa and have done for 4 years and we run it as a business . We have been paying taxs on the villa we also have a credit rating and also have a bank account in Florida and have done for 6 years . We have visited Florida for the past 8 years for a holiday and are now seriously thinking about moving to Florida to live for a short time ( 2 years ) and also we would like to work in Florida . Can someone advise us of what VISA we will need as we stay in the UK just now . Any advice will be welcome

Regards
Dean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida