Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 21,035 times

Advertisements

I am going to look at just under 5 acres with well, septic, and power, about 8 miles north of Old Town in Dixie County. Anyone from around that area? What should I expect, good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Just to be clear, the property is between routes 351 and 349, plenty of oaks, had a house on it but it burnt a while back. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area, what is it like there?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,660 times
My family lives in Gilchrist County, the next county over. The last time I was in Old Town I was seven, so all I remember was being on their five acres and being deathly afraid of snakes (that't a typical seven-year-old from Detroit for you). I also remember the coast not being that far away. If you don't mind being away from civilization this is the place for you.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM

I have always lived in small towns. Have been in current home 34 years, on a dead end road, closest neighbor about 1/4 mile away, so I don't mind being away from "civilization", but I am tired of COLD winters.

It looks like this Old Town Hammock area has plenty of live oak and pine, and most of the lots are about five acres. I am looking forward to coming and checking out the area, just asking if anyone has any information or opinion about this part of Dixie County.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin13 View Post
I have always lived in small towns. Have been in current home 34 years, on a dead end road, closest neighbor about 1/4 mile away, so I don't mind being away from "civilization", but I am tired of COLD winters.

It looks like this Old Town Hammock area has plenty of live oak and pine, and most of the lots are about five acres. I am looking forward to coming and checking out the area, just asking if anyone has any information or opinion about this part of Dixie County.
The entire county has a population of 16,486. I think you may be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that's from Dixie County.

It looks like the median household income for the area is $34,000 and the population breakdown is 86% white-non-latino, 9% black, 4% latino, and 1% other.

It appears to be politically a deep red county. The largest/closest city to you would Gainesville at a one hour drive, which really isn't too bad. I live an hour outside of Houston and the drive isn't horrible.

I love smaller more rural areas myself, but Dixie County looks like it's pretty far out. If you're retired, you should have no problems with the exception of boredom. If you're looking for work, you may be looking for awhile as I would assume there's not a lot of work, the unemployment rate for Dixie County is currently 10%, about 3% higher than the state average.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
The entire county has a population of 16,486. I think you may be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that's from Dixie County.

It looks like the median household income for the area is $34,000 and the population breakdown is 86% white-non-latino, 9% black, 4% latino, and 1% other.

It appears to be politically a deep red county. The largest/closest city to you would Gainesville at a one hour drive, which really isn't too bad. I live an hour outside of Houston and the drive isn't horrible.

I love smaller more rural areas myself, but Dixie County looks like it's pretty far out. If you're retired, you should have no problems with the exception of boredom. If you're looking for work, you may be looking for awhile as I would assume there's not a lot of work, the unemployment rate for Dixie County is currently 10%, about 3% higher than the state average.
Old Town isn't completely desolate. They're not that far from Chiefland, which has a McDonalds', Wal-Mart, Bealls Outlet, etc.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
Old Town isn't completely desolate. They're not that far from Chiefland, which has a McDonalds', Wal-Mart, Bealls Outlet, etc.
I'm sure it's a nice town, but a population of a little over 2,000, a Walmart, McDonalds, and Bealls Outlet isn't exactly civilization. I've never been there, but no one else seemed to be helping this guy at all. It's my assumption that if the OP wanted a job or something from a mall, that he'd be driving to Gainesville.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Not much to tell really. I've never lived in Dixie County, but I've driven through it many times.

It's very rural. It's what you would expect a rural part of the Deep South to be like. I know most of Florida isn't considered "Deep South", But Dixie County sure is.

Friendly people there, my kind of place.

My most prominent memory of Dixie County is that I blew out a tire on US 27 between Cross City and Old Town. I didn't have a jack, and don't know anyone in the area. A good old boy stopped and gave me a ride to his trailer where they had a bunch of old tires sitting around. He gave me a spare and followed me to the Wal Mart in Chiefland to be sure the tire would make it. I made it there and got a new tire. He was a good dude. I can't promise everyone in Dixie County was like him, but that's pretty typical of rural areas in the South.

If you like the rural lifestyle, then Dixie County is for you.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 AM

Thanks for your replies. Retired - yes, Like country life - yes, drive to get what we need, have always done that. Should fit right in....

Old 02-04-2017, 01:13 AM

5 posts, read 8,803 times
good evening to all!
have a question to dreamin13- did you move there? Can you share your thoughts about living there?
to other peopple- please, share any thoughts about Old Town. We're looking for properties and have some there, but it's not so long way for us to drive 4-6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida