Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (CNN) -- It's a community that seems serene, with just a wind chime breaking the silence. But look again and you will see many residents wearing ankle monitor systems that alert authorities if they wander too far away.

Trailer park becomes 'paradise' for sex offenders - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (CNN) -- It's a community that seems serene, with just a wind chime breaking the silence. But look again and you will see many residents wearing ankle monitor systems that alert authorities if they wander too far away.

I have something like that near me. I did one of those searches for offenders and found like over a 100 within 2 miles. I could not believe till I noticed many had the same address. It turns out there is sort of half way housing, old motels that are being used. Just go a few blocks and you have homes on the New River over a million dollars. There is no getting away from this stuff. At least they are watched but that doesn't mean they can't do something. They all seem to repeat offend, it is like a guarantee.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

To me this is an offensive use of the word "paradise." However, since most people do not want sex offenders living amongst them, would this not be a great solution for lack of a better word, to take care of where sex offenders can live. Kind of like in the old days when they banned people with certain diseases from remaining in the community.

Sex offenders (and I'm not talking about the 18 year old that has sex with his 16 year old girlfriend, parents get involved & he's arrested & labled for life as a "sex offender") have the hardest time changing their ways because this problem is the worst sickness in my opinion.

What do they do with sex offenders in other states?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
I've noticed on familywatchdog.us, why are there some places where there are tons of sex offenders in one section? I don't mean a few; I mean there are some places where the squares are all on top of each other.

Unfortunately there is really no way to escape them. In any city, any state, anywhere you go they will exist.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I've noticed on familywatchdog.us, why are there some places where there are tons of sex offenders in one section? I don't mean a few; I mean there are some places where the squares are all on top of each other.

Unfortunately there is really no way to escape them. In any city, any state, anywhere you go they will exist.
A lot of municipalities set really strict laws from how far they can live from places such as bus stops, parks, schools, playgrounds. A municipalities down this way (Sunrise) passed a law recently which will not allow one to live within three thousand feet of any of these places. Basically, a sex offender can't live in Sunrise, because there is not a place within 3,000 feet or further in the entire city. Other Florida municipalities are taking similar steps.

I think Florida ranks 4th in sex offender population...and also ranks 4th in overall population...

Point being, they are everywhere, just like you said.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,618 times
Do any of you really think that by limiting where a sex offender can live that it will make your families safe? If someone wants to offend , they will offend again. They will drive to a school or bus stop or area where children congregate. So why does it matter where a sex offender lives? By banishing a sex offender from areas all you are doing is taking them farther away from their families and friends which is putting them in a more distressed state of mind causing them to want to offend again. So really.. arent these laws of where a sex offender can live really working against you? Most children who are sexually assaulted are assaulted by family members or friends of the family. So you are out being all worried about where these past sex offenders live NOW when u should just be watching your children and looking out for Uncle Billy who lives in the guest bedroom. Get your heads out of your asses and wake up!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:08 PM

192 posts, read 721,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drf441 View Post
By banishing a sex offender from areas all you are doing is taking them farther away from their families and friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by drf441 View Post
Most children who are sexually assaulted are assaulted by family members or friends of the family.

Why would you be pleading for these people to live closer to friends and families, when you make the claim, that is who they most like to sexually assault?

Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,871 times
I think you all need to take a step back, and stop fretting about where sex offenders live. You could be a sex offender if only you'd been caught in the wrong circumstances. That's right; sex offenders are more likely to be your buddy who got caught pissing in the woods or some other innocuous act. The sex offender laws are the real problem. Ever been camping and taken an outdoor shower? You're a sex offender! I'm of the belief that sex offenders who've paid their time in jail should have every right the rest of us do! And those pouting about the religious aspect, think bout this: church is a place and event that gives the self-righteous show how much better a Christian they are. Better than all the rest. It's a peacock show! Who has the fanciest car. Who has the best head of hair. Who gets to talk to God and then gets answers back? Who authenticates these things? How do you know it was god answering them back? And even if it's a refocus oust dangerous request, should you do what God tells them you should? Judge not, lest the be judged!

Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
You actually spent time looking for 7 year old sex offender threads so you can defend sex offenders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: