Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 08:35 PM

74 posts, read 132,186 times

Advertisements

Do you mean insane crime rates and ghetto ness in general like Miami or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 06:20 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
All my kids were born in Jax. It’s a military town. I called it extension of GA. It’s grown but still just a big town - Miami is a metropolitan city. I’m from there. The influx from all of South and Central América and the Caribbean and all those who come to visit and do business come through the Miami and Ft Laud airports made it a gateway for the world. Compare it to a southern NY.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:23 AM

283 posts, read 289,575 times
It's good to have a variety and I don't understand why anyone would want all the big FL cities to be the same. You can obviously only live in one of them, so whenever you're in the other, the purpose is either work or leisure, why do you need it to be the exact same?

I personally have a preference for the features of Northeast FL, but I also have a great time and enjoy Miami and West FL

Old 03-30-2021, 08:18 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
In addition, for those that care, ocean temps drop quickly during the winter north of Cape Canaveral. We have winter days when the surf temp in Cocoa Beach is 10 degrees warmer than Daytona Beach just 70 miles or so north.
Interesting. Never knew that. So playalinda is most likely warmer in winter than Daytona?

Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
All my kids were born in Jax. It’s a military town. I called it extension of GA. It’s grown but still just a big town - Miami is a metropolitan city. I’m from there. The influx from all of South and Central América and the Caribbean and all those who come to visit and do business come through the Miami and Ft Laud airports made it a gateway for the world. Compare it to a southern NY.
I feel that Central Florida is more diverse than Miami when you include white Americans, black Americans, etc.. Miami is very heavy on Hispanic Spanish speaking population. Orlando for example has lots of Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Asians, Cubans, and South Americans. Higher Asian population.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:31 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Miami is the closest American city to Cuba, so it had a huge influx of Cuban refugees and their money, which helped turn it into a de facto financial capital of Latin America. Also, its geographically extreme location makes it a more obvious gateway for international immigration and trade, and its climate makes it a sort of tropical getaway without having to leave the U.S. These are the reasons why Miami has a higher profile than Jacksonville.

Old 04-02-2021, 05:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Jacksonville was part of the confederacy, so it didn't develop in the same way as Miami did. That's why it has a southern culture, to some degree.

Miami is also in a tropical climate zone, which attracts more tourists and developed the economy there. Most jobs are service oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida