Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygal View Post
Retired Coach - I currently work (for two more weeks only) in one of the worst hit towns in the country when the mills closed, Ambridge PA. I am sorry to say that over the intervening 25 years, nothing, and I mean nothing whatsoever has changed. Those who work in the mills still think they are going to re-open and the good life will roll again. WRONG. Almost everyting is at a status quo from years ago. This place is great if you like really old housing (cheaply had), and a town filled with people of no vision.

Like Flordia, jobs are hard to find, and don't pay much. But apparantly unlike Florida, there are still jobs. IN fact there are plenty of jobs, but there are not plenty of good employees.

Oen of the reasons I am relocating is, as a small business owner, we could not dependable employees. My husband and I cannot do all of the work we get ourselves, and thus cannot grown our business. I am auctioning the equipment of in April and am delighted to move from this area. Sure the people are great and I will miss them, but we can always make new friends elsewhere.

IMO, Florida is full of opportunity. Look at virtually and business category outside of tourism, and there is a dearth of services. Also IMO, Florida will absoltely rebound, better than ever, with people who really want to be here and a more rounded economy.

One last comment, my husband said years ago that America would fall apart because all people seem to want to do is party, and work in businesses that support that such as entertainment, restaurant, etc. It seems to be coming true. However, when the economy collaspes, people cant afford that and will have to turn to more constructive endeavors.
There is an old expression about jumping from the kettle into the fire. I am hopeful that your optimism will sustain you in your future challenges, as well as (or better) than it has for you for the past 25 years in Ambridge. As critical as you post of your current living situation, I look at your town as amazing. For as many great jobs that were lost when the steel mills left, yours is still a very proud and unified community despite the downturn. Housing is very affordable, and surprisingly, crime is relatively low (and would be considered a low crime area, if similar dynamics could be found in Florida). Generations of families have called Ambridge home since its inception.

I don't know if I can agree with you about Florida being a land of opportunity any more than Ambridge, especially with the current economic climate. Do yourself a favor and travel to the outskirts of many of the tourist hubs of Florida.... the signs of poverty are becoming increasingly more evident. This is not me deriding Florida, it is more a case of the severity of this economic downturn.

The "constructive endeavors" that you are referring may not translate into more opportunity in Florida. What kind of a clientele will you be able to attract when no one has the money to spend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM

97 posts, read 216,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
There is an old expression about jumping from the kettle into the fire. I am hopeful that your optimism will sustain you in your future challenges, as well as (or better) than it has for you for the past 25 years in Ambridge. As critical as you post of your current living situation, I look at your town as amazing. For as many great jobs that were lost when the steel mills left, yours is still a very proud and unified community despite the downturn. Housing is very affordable, and surprisingly, crime is relatively low (and would be considered a low crime area, if similar dynamics could be found in Florida). Generations of families have called Ambridge home since its inception.

I don't know if I can agree with you about Florida being a land of opportunity any more than Ambridge, especially with the current economic climate. Do yourself a favor and travel to the outskirts of many of the tourist hubs of Florida.... the signs of poverty are becoming increasingly more evident. This is not me deriding Florida, it is more a case of the severity of this economic downturn.

The "constructive endeavors" that you are referring may not translate into more opportunity in Florida. What kind of a clientele will you be able to attract when no one has the money to spend?
Hey Coach - I didn't think coaches ever retired (LOL!) Your points are well taken - this is not the best time economically to relocate, but it is the time that works best for me. More specifically what Iu was tryign to convey is that this area of Florida has the future potential of rebounding and being even better.

I drove around extensively during my short stay in Fl, (not just in the toursit areas) and feel really very badly about what I see happening. I once had a home repossesed in a Sheriff's sale, and it is a horrific, scary, and demeaning process. While not a proponent of "big goverment" I do strongly believe that more should be done to help those in houding crisis. Many years ago there was a mortgage moratorium, and it was helpful in at least getting people caught up, at least enough to refinance.

It is not (yet) happening in the area where we live, but I don't think this area ever recovered from the collaspe of the Steel Industry. Went to a meeting a few weeks ago, and the County Commisioners are still trying to figure out how and to whom to market Beaver County to. I find this amazingly backwards. And yes, "Bridgers" are proud, but the are not united, and that is the real underlying problem with the area. As it is anywhere where there is constant in-fighting.

And yes, I am an optimist, sometimes overly so! Well enough for now. Go Steelers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida