Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,218 times

Advertisements

florida has magnet schools then why people says texas schools r better than florida schools?
do they have more drugs problems in florida schools?
I am planning to move either florida or texas. please response. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Go to Texas if you want your kids taught that the Earth is 6000 years old, that dinosaurs lived at the same time as man, black people were cursed by Noah and other interesting factoids. If you'd rather they learned something more mundane like REAL science and history, then come to Florida.

Texas Public Schools: Still Teaching Creationism | Mother Jones

Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Ironically, I was just reading this article before I clicked into City-Data...

Dems shouldn’t mess with Texas | The Great Debate

Quote:
It’s not just immigration where Texas is different. Education Secretary Arne Duncan stepped in it in 2011, when he claimed that class sizes in Texas have grown during Perry’s tenure as governor. In fact, they have shrunk over the past decade. The New York Times op-ed columnist Ross Douthat responded to Duncan’s false assertion by warning Democrats against attacking the Lone Star State’s education system. Surprisingly to many liberals, Texas schools do relatively well, according to the numbers.

Minority students do comparatively well in Texas, with Latino and black students outperforming their peers in others states. Looking at the 2009 National Assessment of Educational Progress exam results, Latino and black students in Texas outperformed Latino and black students nationally in both 4th and 8th grade in all subjects.
To be honest, Florida and Texas's schools are usually both ranked very close to each other in national polls. Usually they're both in the top 15-20 annually. I can tell you that our schools in Houston give children the option to not just learn the typical Spanish/French, but also Mandarin if they choose.

Also, you're likely to have a lot more access to culture in Texas than you will in Florida. Houston's theater and performing arts district is the 2nd largest in the country (2nd only to New York.)

If you'd like more information, send me a message.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
In my experience, schools are only as good as its students.

You can usually determine the success of a school system by simply looking at the racial and economic demographics of the area. Some of these bad school districts actually have excellent magnet schools where they funnel the best students into. So, if your kid can go to magnet schools, it's almost irrelevant.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2ninjas View Post
florida has magnet schools then why people says texas schools r better than florida schools?
do they have more drugs problems in florida schools?
I am planning to move either florida or texas. please response. Thanks!
From what I hear drugs and teen sexauality is rampant in schools in Florida.

There seems to be much more drug and drinking culture in Florida than Texas.You see a lot more people just hanging out loiting drinking or doing drugs.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:47 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
As a life-long Texan (moving to FL to retire) Texas schools are a dichotomy. Example from the DFW area. Fort Worth and Dallas ISD schools are, for the most part, bad. Every year there are accusations of test-fixing, promotion and class fixing of athletes. If people in the district can afford it, they will send their kids to private schools or move into a suburban district.

On the flip side, suburban schools actually teach the kids, regardless of race, economic background, etc. The kids are challenged and respond positively, and end up being accepted to major colleges. My daughter is a drama teacher in a suburban district, and routinely have kids accepted by the top colleges, with some actually on Broadway within a couple of years after graduation from high school.

It is a strong focus on education to make everyone succeed that makes the suburban schools work. The inner city schools are more focused on making everyone "equal" resulting in a dumbing-down of the schools.

So if you have kids and are looking for a new job, come to Texas, but plan on living in a suburban school district. Don't try to be an urban pioneer and try to single-handedly reform a school district. The ISD trustees are far more interested in their power bases in the inner-city school districts than education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida