Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 56,167 times

Advertisements

I relocated from Texas to Southern California less than a year ago, and already I am heading for the hills. The recent tax increase was the last straw for my family of three. Funny thing is that we didn't mind the increase in the cost of living, but refuse to give the state a donation.

We love the warmth and outdoors, therefore, we have narrowed it down to two income tax free states. Texas and Florida. Not going to talk about Texas on this thread though. Look for another thread on that. We are leaning more towards Florida, because we feel there was a reason we left Texas in the first place. That being said, I wanted to know what area would you suggest for a family that loves hiking, biking, beaches, carnivals, farmers markets, movies, sporting events, etc. We are currently looking at Palm Beach Area to the East (to include Jupiter, but open to suggestions), and Sarasota on the Gulf Side. I have yet to visit either but plan to in the next month or two. Any insight that anyone can provide regarding schools, weather, people, climate, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Work is not a concern as we work from home. We would like to rent (prefer single family home 4 bed/ 2 bath). Can do a spacious 3 bed if necessary for between $1200-1500 monthly (might consider a townhome). We want to save our money in order to buy in the next couple of years, so it is really important not to exceed that budget for rent.

So where can our growing family live that is safe, fun and most of all feels like home?
I look forward to hearing from you all. Again, any areas or advice you have is taken into consideration. We just want to make the right choice for our family so we do not have to do this all over again. I will be checking in, so if you have any further questions...fire up!
Oh! we will be moving in no later than the end of May 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Your price range isn't realistic for Jupiter or Sarasota.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
OP, Just out of curiosity, which part of Texas did you flee from?

If you think the economy is any better in Florida than it is in California, you're sadly mistaken.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

If you think the economy is any better in Florida than it is in California, you're sadly mistaken.
From a taxation point of view it surely is. If they work from home,I guess the job climate won't matter as much for them

Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
The areas you mentioned are all far above that budget, especially trying to find a 4 BR no less! For a less expensive option you might look at St. Pete, although even there, something in a nice neighborhood is probably going to cost you more.

If you can up your budget, I think you would love Sarasota.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Default 3.3% increase in income tax 88billion cannot be wrong.

Quote:

88 billion dollars in california tax revenue has fled to florida 20+billion to Texas. Not only do I think so, but the smart money of America thinks so. Just listen to CNBC any given day and it's spoken about almost daily.

I work from home, so I am bringing my money with me. What I am leaving is the 13.3% tax base. I am not the first and certainly not the last to no longer give California my $40-100k donation yearly.

I am finally seeing clearly and from the numbers, that is not mistake. I will use that money to buy a house, take more vacations, just enjoy life.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Default Thanks for the honesty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The areas you mentioned are all far above that budget, especially trying to find a 4 BR no less! For a less expensive option you might look at St. Pete, although even there, something in a nice neighborhood is probably going to cost you more.

If you can up your budget, I think you would love Sarasota.

Good luck!

Any idea on what is a fair budget for what we are looking for? I tried to spend less, the less I spend the more we save to purchase our own home. I figured it was worth a shot.

What do you think is best about Sarasota?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM

Default We hail from San Antonio

Quote:

BTW, we did not care for it. It just was not for us. Personal preference; I suppose.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM

So tell me what are the people like?
what is the water like?
what is there to do?

My girlfriend lives in West Palm Beach and only tells me that she prefers Juno beach and that Sarasota is nothing but old people. She only passed through the Gulf side once though. Plan to visit her, meet with a realtor, and then work our way across to Sarasota.

It is also a pro to be on the Atlantic Side as most of my family lives on the East Coast. It would be an easier drive to visit us. They said, they could care less so long as we are on the beach lol

Again, Is there plenty to do for a family that loves to stay busy and LOVES the outdoors. We are surrounded by trails and water now and never miss an opportunity to exploit it.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarBaby View Post
So tell me what are the people like?
what is the water like?
what is there to do?

My girlfriend lives in West Palm Beach and only tells me that she prefers Juno beach and that Sarasota is nothing but old people. She only passed through the Gulf side once though. Plan to visit her, meet with a realtor, and then work our way across to Sarasota.

It is also a pro to be on the Atlantic Side as most of my family lives on the East Coast. It would be an easier drive to visit us. They said, they could care less so long as we are on the beach lol

Again, Is there plenty to do for a family that loves to stay busy and LOVES the outdoors. We are surrounded by trails and water now and never miss an opportunity to exploit it.
If your family is on the Atlantic side, maybe you should look there (do you mean Florida?). Sarasota is NOT "nothing but old people," but it does have it's share of retirees. But it also has three smaller colleges with a lot of young people, and there are a lot of mid-range professionals here as well. It is a small, artsy cosmopolitan city with some of the most beautiful beaches in the country; lots of arts and cultural amenities, festivals, shopping and dining. The area has plenty of parks and preserves, and of course the afore-mentioned beaches. But again, this area is expensive!

St. Petersburg has a beautiful downtown with miles of waterfront parks, museums, shopping and dining. There are miles of beautiful beaches there as well. I am sure you can get more for your $$$ there. I like St. Pete a lot, if we didn't live here, we would be living there. St. Petersburg is a larger city, but not as affluent as Sarasota, which is why you have a better chance of finding something in your price range. St. Pete also has a nice biking trail there. I hope this helps!

When you come here visit Sarasota/Bradenton, and then go over the Skyway Bridge up into St. Pete to get a good feel for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida