Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,236 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Ct, but I am tired of the cold and the snow!!!!!
So, I'm planning to move to Florida, but, I hate roaches too!!!!
And I have heard that Florida is full of them.
If you live in Florida, can you tell me if is possible to find a place without them or if I move to a place with them, is it possible to get rid of them with some measures like boric acid?

I really want to move; I visited Florida last year for two weeks and I absolutely loved it!
I don’t want some ugly nasty creatures to stop me, but to me honest, I’m terrified of them!

Thank you in advance for your honest answers,

Rosa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,472 times
And they're really big here too! I've only seen a couple of roaches which rode in on something from the store and then promptly died. I would assume that apartments have exterminators, but we have a house. Some people do fine treating their dwelling themselves, but we have an exterminator who comes out every 6 months. He treats inside the walls and around the house. Well worth the price. I was told they have chemicals that you can't just buy in a store and he claims they're safe for pets and children. It's rare that I see a bug in the house other than the occasional fly and I hate bugs too. I wouldn't let this stop you.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Your chances of seeing them diminish greatly if you're clean and live in a single family home. You can be spotless while living in attached housing but if your neighbors are filthy hoarders nothing you do will work. If you keep your floors and countertops clean, don't leave food out uncovered and dispose of/store trash properly you'll most likely rarely see one. I use Terminix who comes every three months to treat the outside of the house, which seems to work quite well. I'm no fan of roaches either and have found a great way to deal with the random appearances. Get yourself a good Dustbuster handheld vacuum and when one shows up just suck it up....works great for spiders too! They simply suffocate inside and get disposed of later.

*** Forgot to mention if living in a single family home. Roaches love the moist environment of shredded mulch that gets placed around shrubs in your yard and having it in particular right up against your house is an open invitation to bringing them in (spiders too). I replaced my mulch with stones and it made all the difference.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,641 times
Those little roach traps work. The little black ones that they get into, especially the ones that say it takes the poison to the other roaches because I don't think the big ones can get in there. Otherwise move into a place that has an exterminator come once a month.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
I didn't know Florida had roaches, only those little lizards things, which are scarier to me than a roach

Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Sorry, but anyone who is squeamish about bugs, lizards, snakes, frogs, or rodents shouldn't even think about Florida. And if you're into water sports you have to take sharks, rays, jellyfish, red tide, alligators, snakes, and amoebas into consideration. The more you know, the better prepared you will be.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Oops! Forgot about crocodiles....

Crocodiles make comeback in south Florida | Fox News

Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM

195 posts, read 350,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I didn't know Florida had roaches, only those little lizards things, which are scarier to me than a roach
We have a lot of roaches in Florida Of course they are less visable than lizards, but if you end up in the wrong home, you will see a few daily. The lizards are just an inconvenience when they get inside your home but you know they will die or leave if you are unable to get a hold of them. The roach? The roach will multiply and cause sanitary issues with their disgusting feces.

I think newer homes tend to have less bug issues, the problem is they are usually not located in the more central areas

I don't know if I would live in a condo, but I have seen plenty of newer condos roach free. Cleaning,raid exterminators help too but if your condo neighbors are filthy good luck.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
I have to agree with the others. Insects, bugs, creatures are just part of living in Florida. You have to remember parts of it are still a swamp. Being cleaning, living in a single family detached home, having your yard sprayed regularly will all help in keeping things away. I rarely ever see a roach ... Some people have problems with them though. Maybe the OP should live close to the coast, in a High Rise where they spray regularly.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Sorry, but anyone who is squeamish about bugs, lizards, snakes, frogs, or rodents shouldn't even think about Florida.
I hate most bugs, snakes and rodents and I'm doing really well here. I even hike with the scouts! The banana spiders do really freak me out though. No getting around that. Lizards and frogs are cute though. I have to say that with good extermination in the house, the rest is very manageable and I don't think one should necessarily rule out Florida because of bugs. Oh, and I keep a fly swatter in the car to swat spiders in case there's one on the inside of the windshield. It's hard to drive with a spider crawling across your field of vision just waiting for the right moment to devour you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida