Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

I live in SE Florida and am not miserable. So... I don't know what winners you all hang around, but you would have to pay me a boat load of money to live in Texas, and I left north Florida because the deep south mentality is not for everyone.

And the midwest? Puh-lease.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
All the things listed above are the exact reason I'm also hauling ass out of FL. I will never ever raise my future children anywhere in this state.

You've been hauling ass out of FL for 2 years now. What happened?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM

666 posts, read 1,290,836 times
Ok so you included Naples and Fort Myers into your perception of misery. I live in Tampa but I go to Fort Myers regularly since my parents live there. While Naples has a lot of similarities with South Florida (especifically west Broward Co.), Fort Myers already has a Tampa Bay area feeling in it. So for me Fort Myers and Naples are different regions despite being bordering each other.

On your comment on roads in SW Florida, you should know that this area is growing, not so fast as years ago but the combined population of Lee and Collier nears 1 million, which means that if Lee and Collier are put together in a general MSA it will be the fifth largest in FL. So the area, as continues to grow, needs to have vision of the future so neat roads need to be built if you don't want ridiculous traffic jams like those found in the TB Area or South Florida to happen soon. Years ago when I-75 was only four lanes the traffic jams were monumental. Now there are six and a new bypass was built between Estero and Bonita Springs. SW Florida is mostly a developed area, contrary to some parts of SoFla.

And in terms of miserable people, they are already here and in SoFla as well as the rest of the entire planet.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I live in SE Florida and am not miserable. So... I don't know what winners you all hang around, but you would have to pay me a boat load of money to live in Texas, and I left north Florida because the deep south mentality is not for everyone.

And the midwest? Puh-lease.
It's funny when a majority of people will claim things like a bad job market, bad economy, expensive cost of living, too many sex offenders, ect, ect, but then a small handful of people comment that life's not like that and that these people (the majority) just hang around with or know "winners." Step outside of your gated community every once in awhile and look around.

PS, I feel the same way about about the liberal bastion that is West Palm Beach, you couldn't get me to live there, even if you offered me one of those nice foreclosed homes that are sitting empty.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's funny when a majority of people will claim things like a bad job market, bad economy, expensive cost of living, too many sex offenders, ect, ect, but then a small handful of people comment that life's not like that and that these people (the majority) just hang around with or know "winners." Step outside of your gated community every once in awhile and look around.

PS, I feel the same way about about the liberal bastion that is West Palm Beach, you couldn't get me to live there, even if you offered me one of those nice foreclosed homes that are sitting empty.
I'm not one of the rich ones. Very standard middle of the line income (55k a year) for Naples. I rent an apartment and all my friends are working class citizens. Both my husband and I are in college part time with a kid.
I left years ago for about 11 months and then had considered it again this past fall. After contemplation, number crunching etc we found Naples is much cheaper than the alternative. Renting where we were looking (NH/MA) would have been double what we are paying now for the same number of bedrooms with way less ammenities, plus our place would have probably been in a house built before 1940. Taxes up north are double if not triple or more than they are down here for a house that has more problems than the house is worth probably.

Naples is clean. Period. Its safe. Period. Our friend just moved back to RI after being in Naples for about 9 years. This is year two for him being back up there and he's so desperate to get out and back he packed up his stuff and has it sitting in storage down here while waiting to hear back on jobs. He can't get out fast enough. I think those who THINK its better elsewhere haven't live there. Car inspections, potholes, heating bills, winter clothing, summer clothing, spring clothing, mud season clothing, winter tires, summer tires,... To name a few of the awesomeness that awaits those in greener grasses. Look at the people who have moved there and back there and then back again. I know ChrisA70 battles yearly with where he's gonna live and hes not the only one .

Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Doesn't seem to be an issue here.

Seems it's not so much "heat" related, but a South Florida thing, hell people in Arizona aren't even as nuts as people in So.FL. and they deal with 120 degrees most of the time..

You maybe right its not so much heat related but Humidity is root of the evilness. It may be 120 in arizona and thats pretty darn hot but at least is a DRY heat. In SW FL its not the heat but the HUMIDTY that makes people all crazy and nuts. Thats the way they like it! where else at 2am you step outside and you are drenched in sweat head to toe in 10 minutes 7 to 8 months out of the year. I bet that never happens in Arizona. From my own experience when I was in Arizona even though I was feeling the heat, I barley broke a sweat until I realized the heat was drying me up as fast as I could sweat it out. I am not completely sure but i think the salt water and air may also play a factor but i have yet to confirm this as fact. All in All, I still love Florida and plan on moving there in a few years because I love the Ocean and all it has to offer. If you didn't like the beach/boating/diving I can't see why anyone would want to live in Florida too many other states to be if you are just trying to avoid the cold/snowy weather.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Naples is clean. Period. Its safe. Period. Our friend just moved back to RI after being in Naples for about 9 years. This is year two for him being back up there and he's so desperate to get out and back he packed up his stuff and has it sitting in storage down here while waiting to hear back on jobs. He can't get out fast enough. I think those who THINK its better elsewhere haven't live there. Car inspections, potholes, heating bills, winter clothing, summer clothing, spring clothing, mud season clothing, winter tires, summer tires,... To name a few of the awesomeness that awaits those in greener grasses. Look at the people who have moved there and back there and then back again. I know ChrisA70 battles yearly with where he's gonna live and hes not the only one .
Believe me, I'd rather live in Florida than ANY of the North Eastern states.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 PM

90 posts, read 178,017 times
Your point of view greatly influences your experience of where you live. I lived in FL for more than 30 years, still own a home there, won't sell it because it's paid off and located in, imo, an environmentally beautiful area. But I tired of the heat and humidity and needed a change.
As far as the various problems and types of people, you can find good and bad everywhere. Those aspects are not geographic.
I think a lot of people, esp. from cold climates, have a very unrealistic view of FL. They go there on vacation, have a good time, and move, thinking the good times never end in "paradise." However, the same problems they had wherever they came from, move with them. Paradise is in one's heart and mind; it is not a location.
For anyone who is unhappy wherever they are living, life is too short to **** and moan but do nothing to change whatever is causing unhappiness. Some things in life can't be changed so you have to figure out a way to accept them. Otherwise it's up to you to address whatever problems and change the things you can change. If you don't like where you are living, move. But before you do, make sure you get down with your bad self and honestly decide if your problems are truly related to your current location or you will find yourself singing the same old "i hate this place" song a few months later from a different locale.
Sure, Florida has its' share of problems. So does every other place in the world.
-izzy

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
South Florida Rocks but is absolutely awesome when you achieve Snowbird/Whitecap status!!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
I think ChrisA70 wants to come back to FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida