Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 18,011 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the info. Yeah I realized that st Augustine is too far from the airport. Also, if the schools r not in St. John's Cty and r not as good as Neptune then that is not good. I think I get mr. Locos point but not sure. Can u elaborate mr. Loco?

I know s Florida probably won't have as many rednecks but I like being closer to ga since my mom lives there and I do like a change of seasons. It seems affordable to us and more tolerable yr round. I hate driving verge
Where now. I realize we can find a really nice house in the jax country club area but we won't be close enough to the beach and it seems like it will be more conservative than I would like. I use to be a ski bumm in crested butte, co when I was younger and we r kind of looking at that type of lifestyle but in a warmer climate. Is there another place fairly near the airport that we haven't thought about? I do have a friend in Neptune beach. One of my old college roommates. She is in a band called splinters. Has anyone heard of them? I have not seen her for 20+ years but at least I will know someone and my husband knows someone as well. He is a producer for the PGA. They both love it there but did warn against the redneck factor. Rednecks r everywhere and really don't bother me if unless they r mean and in my face! Anyway, I m rambling and have to run. Anymore info would be appreciated!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM

589 posts, read 850,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnomalley View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Yeah I realized that st Augustine is too far from the airport. Also, if the schools r not in St. John's Cty and r not as good as Neptune then that is not good. I think I get mr. Locos point but not sure. Can u elaborate mr. Loco?

I know s Florida probably won't have as many rednecks but I like being closer to ga since my mom lives there and I do like a change of seasons. It seems affordable to us and more tolerable yr round. I hate driving verge
Where now. I realize we can find a really nice house in the jax country club area but we won't be close enough to the beach and it seems like it will be more conservative than I would like. I use to be a ski bumm in crested butte, co when I was younger and we r kind of looking at that type of lifestyle but in a warmer climate. Is there another place fairly near the airport that we haven't thought about? I do have a friend in Neptune beach. One of my old college roommates. She is in a band called splinters. Has anyone heard of them? I have not seen her for 20+ years but at least I will know someone and my husband knows someone as well. He is a producer for the PGA. They both love it there but did warn against the redneck factor. Rednecks r everywhere and really don't bother me if unless they r mean and in my face! Anyway, I m rambling and have to run. Anymore info would be appreciated!!!!!

Other than the Beach communities, the most progressive, forward thinking areas (by far) in the Jax area would be the Riverside, San Marco, and Avondale areas. However, those three areas aren't near the beaches. All are located in the downtown Jax area. But all are very walkable and bikable, offer unique interesting architecture, are 'up and coming' and would very close to the airport. (less than 15 minutes) All are great places to live.

However, given your wish list, the problem with these is that they are in downtown revitalized areas, where the public schools that serve those communities aren't ranked very well. So, you end up with a very high percentage of private school attendees.

I can guarantee that any of the Country Clubs, like JaxCC, Queens Harbor, Hidden Hills, Deer Creek, Glen Kernan, etc. will all be VERY conservative, have a huge percentage of private school attendees, and be farther from the Beach. Based on what you have said you want, I'd think you'd hate it there.

I'll make a few very broad generalizations, in order to further answer your questions.
1. The West side of Jacksonville is very white, very conservative, very redneck, middle to lower middle class, and very Southern Baptist religious.
2. The Northside is very Black, a bit run down, and with the highest crime rate in the area.
3. The South Side is more middle, and upper middle class, generally white, and very conservative.
4. The revitalized downtown areas (Riverside, Avondale, San Marco) are the small pockets of progressive thinking in the Jax area.
5. The Beaches tend to be a bit more laid back, a bit more 'middle of road' in their thinking, and kind of of a community all to themselves. (as the locals say, "the other side of the ditch", the ditch being the intercoastal waterway)
6. Any of the Counties that surround Duval will be VERY conservative. (St. Johns, Baker, Nassau)

Given all of your wishes, it seems that Neptune, or Atlantic Beach is your best bet.

Last edited by Nomad58; 02-15-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida