Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:06 AM

199 posts, read 219,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeaks56 View Post
i have family that moved from new hampshire to leesburg florida some about nine years ago and said it was the best thing they ever did and others moved there about two years ago and say the same thing well i have been checking out everything for about four years and it sounds good but its always good to hear from people who have done the move already and see how it effected there lives
Same here. We have family that lived in NH and MA for decades. All but 2 have moved to Florida and love it. It is a totally different lifestyle. Folks that love NH will most likely hate Florida and vice versa. I'm sure you will rent for a while at first to make sure which category you fall into, the FL lover or the NH lover.

All the areas Gator and FtLauderdale mentioned are great choices. It will depend on whether you want to be near the action or more out in the country. We loved Jupiter Farms. 2.5 acres yet 15 minutes from the beach. Houses rent there now for around $1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM

15 posts, read 36,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
Same here. We have family that lived in NH and MA for decades. All but 2 have moved to Florida and love it. It is a totally different lifestyle. Folks that love NH will most likely hate Florida and vice versa. I'm sure you will rent for a while at first to make sure which category you fall into, the FL lover or the NH lover.

All the areas Gator and FtLauderdale mentioned are great choices. It will depend on whether you want to be near the action or more out in the country. We loved Jupiter Farms. 2.5 acres yet 15 minutes from the beach. Houses rent there now for around $1500.
That sounds good thank you

Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM

15 posts, read 36,514 times
Default thank you

Every one that responded thank you very much every one is very helpful I really appreciate it alot so if there is any one else with advice please respond

Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 14,910 times
Help!
I am moving to Florida for a job in Boca Raton. I need affordability, good school district and safety. I hear a lot about Boca, Coral Springs, and Jupiter being the best in all three areas albeit expensive. I need a three bedroom with a max of 1800 a month. Is this possible? I have looked on Craigs list and see some within that range. I need to know crime levels and especially within the schools themselves. Can anyone help? Thanks

Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM

548 posts, read 540,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_3737 View Post
Help!
I am moving to Florida for a job in Boca Raton. I need affordability, good school district and safety. I hear a lot about Boca, Coral Springs, and Jupiter being the best in all three areas albeit expensive. I need a three bedroom with a max of 1800 a month. Is this possible? I have looked on Craigs list and see some within that range. I need to know crime levels and especially within the schools themselves. Can anyone help? Thanks
You can find a rental in any of the three places for $1800 or less. There is a huge inventory of rentals available, so don't hesitate to negotiate the price and amount of the deposit. realtor dot com has hundreds of 3 BR rentals in your prices range.

All three areas have solid schools and low crime rates. We loved living in Jupiter, but since you said your job would be in Boca, that would be a drive.

West Boca, west of I-95, is less expensive. Coral Springs is chocked full of great family neighborhoods. It is an amazing area, enjoy Florida!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,910 times
CJFlorida,
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to know Jupiter is too much of a commute. I was seriously considering there as the schools I am told are great.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
You can find a rental in any of the three places for $1800 or less. There is a huge inventory of rentals available, so don't hesitate to negotiate the price and amount of the deposit. realtor dot com has hundreds of 3 BR rentals in your prices range.

All three areas have solid schools and low crime rates. We loved living in Jupiter, but since you said your job would be in Boca, that would be a drive.

West Boca, west of I-95, is less expensive. Coral Springs is chocked full of great family neighborhoods. It is an amazing area, enjoy Florida!!
I have some heard some iffy things about Coral Springs schools. Not so much the academic quality but the discipline levels in the schools. Basically a slow decline. I see Davie becoming the next Coral Springs for the schools, similar academic quality but much safer, but it's further south. You might also want to look into Wellington, Weston, Cooper City, Parkland, and west Boynton Beach, depending on where you are going to work. 1800 a month is totally doable in any of the "Good school" areas in South Florida. Basically

Boca- you can't really go wrong. Lower-than-average crime, pretty good schools that aren't as crowded as some others.
Wellington- same as above but a little less congested, newer, less going on. The "old" Wellington schools seem to be better and safer.
Jupiter- I have heard stuff about drugs and overcrowding in the schools, but pretty low crime, very pretty, not congested. Just a nice area.
Cooper City- Sense of community, small town feel in the neighborhoods, small town feel in the schools. Very low crime. My personal favorite for a "family" because it actually has an "aura" to it that feels very truly "family friendly" thats lacking in most of South Florida.
Weston- Kind of like Wellington but with about half the crime (and that's saying a lot) and an obscenely crowded, but extraordinarily rated high school. Ethnically diverse, but socioeconomically and aesthetically homogeneous, although very clean and tidy. Has a blue ribbon awarded elementary school, and most are rated "10" out of "10" greatschools.
West Boynton- Newer area. Very good schools, but crowded. I have heard about a lot of burglaries in this area, but it's not really "dangerous".
Davie- Equestrian themed, actually has a fair amount of open space. Not as spotless as some of the others (a few mobile home parks), but very safe school system with a small town feel in the schools. About average crime overall, but very low crime in the western half. Probably safest schools in South Florida, although academically most of the others on this list have an edge.
Coral Springs- Very low crime, but it seems like there is a negative element moving into the school system. It's nice, but it seems like it's declining to me.

I didn't include Parkland because it's VERY upscale and expensive. If it were my choice I would probably go.
1. Cooper City
2. Boca Raton
4. Wellington (tie)
4. Weston (tie)
4. Jupiter (tie)
5. Davie
6. West Boynton
7. Coral Springs

But they are all worth a look depending on where your employment is.

Crap, my bad. I just saw that your employment was in Boca. I would just live in Boca. Oh well, I think I left some good information for others so I won't clear it.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-30-2007 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Default abont Fl

Squeeks,
I moved here from the Midwest and love it. I like the Orlando area it has many resources but not the crime of Miami. Being inland it is a little more protected than the coastal areas, but we also don't have those wonderful coastal views.
I would second the get a job first approach. so you can make sure you have a means to support yourself. My clients tell me the taxes in NJ are 4 times what they are here so you should find that cheaper. There is no state income tax which is good. and we don't have that annual property tax on cars like I had in Missouri. Our weather is great. some complain about summers being hot. I find when it gets hot then it rains and the temp drops 20 degrees. so I have no complaints with that. You tend to start thinking 60 is cold after a couple years here. I don't miss the snow. I will take a white sand Christmas over the traditional kind anytime :-). don't know if this helps but its my experience.
Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Quote:
yes she is scared but about moving somewhere different all she knows is jersey she wants to make sure its a good idea and that we can make it but i know for a fact we can we are hard working people and yes she works for a doctors office now
I am very familiar with New Jersey and have many contacts and family there. I have no doubt that you and your wife are hard workers-you have to be up there or you won't keep up. Being that I have lived in both places, I have to tell you that there is more "pride in your work" in New Jersey, by far actually. Florida is a "right to work" state and employees basically have no rights and nobody to speak on their behalf. If you both got the same jobs you have in Jersey, you would both take substantial pay cuts and might be shocked at the work ethic (or lack thereof) of your coworkers. Employers tend to just treat everyone the same regardless of proficiency or performance. I know a lot of "hard working people" and it doesn't get them much. As a matter of fact, you will be shocked at the amount of self-employed people in Florida. There is a good reason for that, the pay is terrible and the advancement opportunities in your "average Joe" type jobs is not there. If you told a tow truck driver in Florida how much you make in Jersey- His eyes would light up. Same with your wife I'm afraid. I hate to keep going on but, you and your wife will likely experience some negative attitudes because you are from Jersey. You will likely outwork your coworkers in a short amount of time. Just so you know, my mother and sister are from Jersey (Mount Holly), as well as my fiance (Vernon), and countless aunts and uncles (Cherry Hill, Marlton, ect.) I was born in Massachusetts and it is very similar to Jersey in that respect. People (for the most part) take their jobs more seriously up there. There is a "laid back" permanent "vacation" attitude down here.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 251,237 times
Quote:
Every one that responded thank you very much every one is very helpful I really appreciate it alot so if there is any one else with advice please respond
Personally , myself I am retired and no need to consider the job market . I enjoyed the Florida lifestyle for the few years that we have been here . I do miss growing a vegetable garden . Soil and dryness are problems here . Fruit trees other than citrus . Finding suitable freshwater fishing areas . Salt water fishing is great , but really miss my freshwater fishing . Hunting , wow , almost nonexistant here . I knew all of this before coming to Florida , from Michigan . Things just change after trying to adapt to the lifestyle here . Trying to give You other things to ponder as You plan your move . Like I am saying it was fun while I first got here , but life does change . Lol , still looking for home .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida