Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Secondly, you can pretty safely judge the economic acuity of someone named "$8 An Hour"
I can't safely judge the economic acuity of someone named "$8.00 an hour". Nor could I safely judge the economic acuity of someone named "Jeff Skilling CEO of Enron".
You must be far more gifted than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
The direction this thread is going illustrates another reason that South Florida will never again have a good lifestyle. Most here are just for themself, and pass the blame.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:04 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
I can't safely judge the economic acuity of someone named "$8.00 an hour". Nor could I safely judge the economic acuity of someone named "Jeff Skilling CEO of Enron".
You must be far more gifted than I.
One thing about the "idealists" like yourself- it can walk like a duck, quack like a duck, smell like a duck, look like a duck... it can have a DNA test proving that it's genetic material is 100% duck... but if it being a duck doesn't fit into your carefully crafted, delusional view of the world, you will absolutely insist that calling it a "duck" is being "judgmental" and that in spite of the evidence, it very well may be a camel.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
One thing about the "idealists" like yourself- it can walk like a duck, quack like a duck, smell like a duck, look like a duck... it can have a DNA test proving that it's genetic material is 100% duck... but if it being a duck doesn't fit into your carefully crafted, delusional view of the world, you will absolutely insist that calling it a "duck" is being "judgmental" and that in spite of the evidence, it very well may be a camel.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:55 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
The topic is I need help... I really need a place to live. Lets provide suggestions on how to help. If we can't help, don't post.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
So much for trying to give the guy some advice. Come on, give him a break, nobody here knows how he got in this situation. I'm sure he knows what he has to do to get out but got in too deep and now is having a hard time to find a way out and was just looking for some advice from anyone who might have been in his situation before. All the negativity thrown at this guy, Let me double check myself....yep this is the FL forum. Welcome to the wonderful state of FL forum where if you ask for some positive results and opinions, you have to search through all the negative crap to find one.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
In my opinion, it's not about "positive or negative", but about whether the advice is honest and relevant or just a load of useless crap like this thread turned into.

I mean look, all I do is tell the truth relative to somebody's situation.

In Miami-Dade it's so bad you don't even hear about burglaries on the news from there. I will quote some of my posts, negative or positive. I just tell it how it is.

Quote:
In Fort Lauderdale there is a high concentration of poor residents and a high concentration of wealthy residents with a hollow middle. Some of it's inner city areas have poverty issues, and these folks from the inner city come to the "nicer" areas to commit their robberies/burglaries. The sunny weather and the transient nature also tends to attract a lot of homelessness, drug addicts, and generally odd characters that had a hard time fitting in anywhere else. All and all I wouldn't call it worse than any other major U.S city but it's getting worse every day, and the oddball characteristic is uniquely Lauderdale. And like any other city, residents left for the suburbs, leaving formerly nice neighborhoods in decay. In fact, Fort Lauderdale was tending on population loss until 2000 (the opposite of surrounding areas, which were the fastest growing in the nation), and now it's beginning to trend on loss again. Still, the crime rate is pretty bad and that's a pretty good snapshot as why. Fort Lauderdale is pretty crazy.
Quote:
Thats the thing. Are you an open minded young family with 350k to spend on a new home who appreciates good dining and nightlife nearby, a blend of cultures that work well togethger, safe, clean residential neighborhoods and some decent schools for the kids? I could recommend places like Weston or Boca Raton to this type of person in a heartbeat. Same thing for young professionals, since this can be an awesome place to network. Even if people come and go, you are still building more and more contacts. I am referring to SE FL here.

On the contrary, this place is hell on earth for a single mother, those on SSI disability (like the OP), and the working class. A lot of areas are declining. The violent crime rate is skyrocketing. I just cringed when I saw the news this morning;hearing about an array of armed robberies, including two killed in armed robbery in Pompano Beach, clerk beat up at east Davie convenience store robbery. I'm not living with this stuff in Weston but for many this is a reality in South Florida and all of Americas cities. The thing is with how expensive it is here, you would think what you are paying is giving you something better as a working or middle class person when it isn't.

Of course I am leaving out many different situations, but I do like my location very much, I am by no means a "hater", but I don't see a need to lie about things here, good or bad.
Quote:
In Palm Beach County in 2000, 27% of the population had a bachelors degree, and about 83.6% had a high school diploma. Compare that to a national average of 80.4% and 24.4%, respectively. By 2006, 85.9% of Palm Beach County had a high school diploma and 30.6% have a bachelors degree or higher. Maybe I'm undereducated thanks to those sorry South Florida schools, but I'm pretty sure that constitutes an increase in education levels, not a decrease.

In Broward County,as of 2000, 82.0% of the population had a high school diploma, and 24.5% were with a bachelors degree or higher. By 2005, 87.0% of the population had a high school diploma, and 28.4% had a bachelors degree or higher.

Broward County, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
Sorry guys, you have no argument here. Your miserable and declining neighborhoods don't really have much to do with the big picture even if you wish it did. Pull up the stats for Broward and Palm Beach. Dade too. Either educated people are moving in, our the school system is improving.
I'm not intending this as an "Everybody should be like me, I'm perfect" type of statement, but it's just really out of control around here. What's really unfortunate is how vile and nasty some of these comments have been by some of these posters. To the other posters, kudos, I will leave some quick reps.

To the OP, I am sorry you have to deal with this horrible situation, and I think you should head to Texas, like I mentioned in my past post. I wish you luck on your journey through life and if you have any form of religious faith, god bless, whoever that god may be. Please know that there are people out there who are truly kind and sympathetic.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-25-2007 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 06:35 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
I give you alot of credit to come on this website and ask for suggestions to help with your situation, and Im not being sarcastic. I give you alot of credit. I also think a 2nd job at least for awhile to help you out abit might be one way to help with this situation. Then after perhaps some more school or training programs. I would only leave florida though if you had something to go to elsewhere, or the situation could actually get worse. I don't really know where you are in florida, but if you are in south florida living elsewhere in the state might be a big help. You did mention Texas, if you have a place there to stay, your employment options most likely would be better though. Like I said don't just pack up and leave unless you have a place to stay where there won't be alot of pressure on you on top of looking for work and your finances. You are not a loser to ask for help, you obviously are trying to improve the situation. Good luck and don't ever let anyones cruel comments on this or any website get you down.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 50,386 times
LM1- Is it safe to assume then, by YOUR postings that you are rude and obnoxious and are the type of person that has to "be right" all the time??? The other people who posted on here are right- he asked for HELP!!! Give the guy a break! How do you know that he's not making $15.00/hour? b/c his screen name is $8.00? wow- that doesn't necessarily mean that he puts his exact wages on here!! I could put $2.00/hour as my name, and would you "safely" assume that I actually MADE $2.00/hour?

Anyways, the point is, the guy asked for help. I think that if you don't personally know him, that you shouldn't JUDGE him. It isn't your place to be rude and judgmental. I don't get it.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
8.00anhour~are you reading here? You haven't posted since your OP. I'm just curious~are you actually in a depression? If so, the FIRST thing you should do is go to a Dr. and ask for anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. If your brain chemistry is messing you up, you won't be able to focus and get a job and a half or look for a place to live, etc. You are probably not even able to sleep or eat with all of this going on. You will feel your situation is dire and you'll never come out of these problems. After three weeks you will know if your problems are being compounded by depression.

SO, first get that taken care of~next pound the pavement. Since you have no children or home to take care of, find a full time job AND a part time job. Talk to your Mom and let her know you are trying. She'll more then likely WANT you to stay with her until you can get on your feet. Pay off your bills and then start saving. Don't forget to treat yourself every other week or so. I don't mean break the bank~go out to a movie or just go to the beach.

Once you are back on track, look for a small place to live by yourself. You don't have to have a three bedroom/three bath house~check out efficiencies and studios or small 1/1s. Let your Mom know that this is your intention and show her that you are really working at it.

I really wish you luck and I'm hoping you'll post and let us know how you're doing and if you've figured anything out yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida