Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old male college student who is a marketing major. I currentlly live in Atlanta. I want to move to either Miami, Tampa or Orlando, but am stuck between which one to choose. I've done research, but would like to hear what natives have to say? I plan on starting grad school in Florida and living there after graduation. Which city has better:

1. Cost of Living
2. Night Life
3. Marketing jobs
4. Diversity
5. Economy

I also love a city that has a sense of culture, is diverse with numerous nationalities, has mass transit, and has year-round summer-like temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I would suggest taking some time to visit each city to get a feel for each one. I can't speak for Tampa or Miami, but Orlando is mostly a service based economy and has a very diverse population. I would also suggest taking a look at Lake Mary, which is about 15-20 miles NE of Orlando.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
why, Florida? check out Boston, the pay is somewhat better, Colleges are also their.
the cost is yes, more, but your age, what do you have but time.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM

86 posts, read 417,407 times
I'm in my early 20s as well dude, and I'm ready to get the heck OUT of Florida, possibly to Atlanta! lol. Anyway, here's my 2 cents:

All three cities have lots of clubs, but obviously you can't top Miami in that sense. It is the LA of the east, basically. I almost went to the University of Miami, but it is very pricey and I just don't like it down there. I can't really speak of the job market, but a lot of the stuff in Miami involves the Spanish population and Latin American trade.

Orlando is a city of annoying tollboths and parkways, thanks to the tourists. It has also been voted the meanest city in America (I don't know why, honestly). The main college there is UCF, which has a good computer program but doesn't hold a candle to UF or Florida State.

If you want a college town experience, I'd recommend Gainesville. But if not, the Ft. Lauderdale area would be my recommendation. Close enough to Miami that you can go party there, but you don't have to live there.

I can't really comment on Tampa- I never lived on the west coast.

Best of luck man!

P.S. Any advice on Atlanta? I'm considering Atlanta or Charlotte for my next move.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 7,104 times
Miami fits your criteria best, but any of the three beats Atlanta.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM

I really do like Miami, and have been there twice. Of course each time I visited, it was the major tourist areas, so I don't know how the actual quality of life is for Miami natives, in neighborhoods, the workplace, etc. The Miami post bash it so much and make it seems so bad because of the immigration and diversity. I don't believe I will have a hard time, because I was born in Jamaica, moved to Atlanta when I was 3 and am fluent in spanish. Besides being pricey, what else made you dislike Miami? Also what makes you want to get the heck out of FL?

As for Atlanta or Charlotte, DEFINETLY choose Atlanta. I've been to Charlotte many times, and it can't compare to Atlanta at all. Atlanta has a better economy, cost of living is very cheap, and much better job opportunities. Our nightlife is A WHOLE lot better and there is so much to do in general such as all the bars/clubs on Peachtree, Atlantic Station, or just all the sporting events, shopping malls, etc.... What are you looking for in moving to Atlanta?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
I'm in my early 20s as well dude, and I'm ready to get the heck OUT of Florida, possibly to Atlanta! lol. Anyway, here's my 2 cents:

All three cities have lots of clubs, but obviously you can't top Miami in that sense. It is the LA of the east, basically. I almost went to the University of Miami, but it is very pricey and I just don't like it down there. I can't really speak of the job market, but a lot of the stuff in Miami involves the Spanish population and Latin American trade.

Orlando is a city of annoying tollboths and parkways, thanks to the tourists. It has also been voted the meanest city in America (I don't know why, honestly). The main college there is UCF, which has a good computer program but doesn't hold a candle to UF or Florida State.

If you want a college town experience, I'd recommend Gainesville. But if not, the Ft. Lauderdale area would be my recommendation. Close enough to Miami that you can go party there, but you don't have to live there.

Best of luck man!

P.S. Any advice on Atlanta? I'm considering Atlanta or Charlotte for my next move.
I really do like Miami, and have been there twice. Of course each time I visited, it was the major tourist areas, so I don't know how the actual quality of life is for Miami natives, in neighborhoods, the workplace, etc. The Miami post bash it so much and make it seems so bad because of the immigration and diversity. I don't believe I will have a hard time, because I was born in Jamaica, moved to Atlanta when I was 3 and am fluent in spanish. Besides being pricey, what else made you dislike Miami? Also what makes you want to get the heck out of FL?

As for Atlanta or Charlotte, DEFINETLY choose Atlanta. I've been to Charlotte many times, and it can't compare to Atlanta at all. Atlanta has a better economy, cost of living is very cheap, and much better job opportunities. Our nightlife is A WHOLE lot better and there is so much to do in general such as all the bars/clubs on Peachtree, Atlantic Station, or just all the sporting events, shopping malls, etc.... What are you looking for in moving to Atlanta?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 AM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post

Best of luck man!

I 2nd the Gainesville vote! UF would be an ideal place to attend grad school. I am not crazy about any of the 3 cities you mentioned but if I had to choose one then I think Tampa would be better as far as universities go, price wise and atmosphere but you really should see Gainesville.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I would suggest taking some time to visit each city to get a feel for each one. I can't speak for Tampa or Miami, but Orlando is mostly a service based economy and has a very diverse population. I would also suggest taking a look at Lake Mary, which is about 15-20 miles NE of Orlando.
How is the downtown area of Orlando, in terms of the skyline, mass transit, and life. I'm not into a downtown areas that goes dead after 5pm. I'm definetly a city person. I love the city and all it has to offer. Is Lake Mary a suburb type of town that's far out or is it farely close to downtown Orlando?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Orlando does not have an adequate mass transit system, like larger cities do. All they have is a bus. You really need to have a car here. Lake Mary is a suburb about 20 minutes from Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida