Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times

Advertisements

I loved that photo...one of the many reasons I am buying in an HOA community....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Another contributing factor is that in many/most towns in Florida the streets are narrow compared to many towns up North. If you park on the pavement of a street in most areas of the town I live in, you are blocking a lane of traffic. In Illinois where I grew up we actually had parking on both sides of the street and room for 2 lanes of traffic to drive down the street in front of my house and other streets were at least wide enough for parking on 1 side of the street.

Curbs and sidewalks are mostly on main streets down here so most neighborhood streets only have the swale area and not a lot of sidewalks to deter cars from parking on the yards. Add to that most families of 4 now have 4 vehicles and maybe a boat, a camper etc. so they won't all fit in the drive or garage. Most towns have rules a bout parking behind the front of your house and many towns have that there must be cement under the vehicles parked off the drive. Code enforcement does check for tags and do send out notices, but mainly when they get complaints.

I think renters here seem to park on lawns more than owners because they have not spent the money to put in the grass and keep the lawn looking good.

BTW I used to live in an area with an HOA. People still parked on their lawns. Threats would be sent. They would stop for a while but then the cycle would repeat. Costs to take it further probably kept them from going further.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
I would rather have some neighbors park on their lawn than live under the constant tyranny of an HOA.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
It sure beats parking on the street, and if there's not enough room on the driveway, what are you gonna do?
Rent some storage.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I would rather have some neighbors park on their lawn than live under the constant tyranny of an HOA.
Not all HOA's are tyrants. Most are pretty easy going as long as you don't live like trash.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Older homes say 50's usually have one drive for 1 or 2 cars parked front to back. Back than is was rare for people to have more then 1 or 2 cars. Nowadays people have several cars, children of driving age each have a car, there can be an RV maybe a boat and so on. Just a reality.
That's what Public Storage is for.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not all HOA's are tyrants. Most are pretty easy going as long as you don't live like trash.
So they sit there and collect money for nothing? What a genius scam.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
So they sit there and collect money for nothing? What a genius scam.
Nothing? My HOA provides recreational activities including a heated pool, tennis courts, golf, basketball, fitness center, an owners clubhouse which can be "rented" for free for any number of activities and parties, various adult and children's activities that range from an Easter Egg Hunt to July 4th picnic with burgers, dogs, etc. We are also gated and guarded which while not foolproof, definitely keeps out most of the riff-raff. We have almost no crime.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM

162 posts, read 301,773 times
So, in florida, many older neighborhoods do *NOT* have sidewalks, curbs, water/utility mains, and "shoulder" for the street. Technically, the first 13 feet of the yard is owned by the city, in the plan that one day, there would be sidewalks, curbs, and a shoulder. Truth is, most cities were never able to afford putting in that infrastructure like they did up north. So, in light of that, cities allow parking on the swale.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nothing? My HOA provides recreational activities including a heated pool, tennis courts, golf, basketball, fitness center, an owners clubhouse which can be "rented" for free for any number of activities and parties, various adult and children's activities that range from an Easter Egg Hunt to July 4th picnic with burgers, dogs, etc. We are also gated and guarded which while not foolproof, definitely keeps out most of the riff-raff. We have almost no crime.
I guess our priorities are different. I'd personally rather have a pool that is my own and for all that, a pretty much everything else can be had for a cheaper gym membership. Activities and parties in my own home or at friend's houses.

Sounds like I'd rather live the majority of my life outside the gates of an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida