Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM

34 posts, read 95,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-of-Miami View Post
Can anyone comment on their typical monthly Lakeland Electric bill? I've read many posts saying how expensive the monthly light bill can be, and I'm surprised. Why is it so expensive??

I have a small 1bedroom Apt in Lakeland. My Electric bill runs between 50-60 bucks a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:06 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo555 View Post
I have a small 1bedroom Apt in Lakeland. My Electric bill runs between 50-60 bucks a month.
Is that only in the winter, I guess it must be more in the summer.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Whatever happened to this Explorer Dave?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

It`s only a one bedroom I can see it being that cheap even in summer. My mom has a two bedroom house and her`s in summer is around 80-100 bucks with the A/C on 75.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM

34 posts, read 95,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

I just moved into the place 3 months ago, therefore I dont know about the Summer Prices.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,071 times
Default RE: Schools

Can anyone tell me about the schools? I know they need teachers. I will want to rent and was wondering about the cost. I have lived in Las Vegas and didn't like the climate. It was too dry. Cost of living was terrible.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 21,451 times
schools? ekk well mi wouldn't recommend any of the public schools really.. Lake Gibson seems to be the only Lakeland one i would go w/ for public...

go private :-) oh and stay away from Kathleen public schools (no offense to anyone that went to Kathleen).

I like Blake and McKeel - and get yourself on a waiting list

Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,951 times
Default Lakeland pros and cons

We have lived in Lakeland for 6 yrs. Coming from places like NYC and South Beach, we can notice the uneducated people, lack of night life, not so great schools, etc...but we have to agree, it is quite pretty in the historic and more established areas, and a relatively safe place to raise a family, if you know what areas to avoid. It's also affordable compared to other areas, with less crowding and traffic (when the snowbirds leave). We get away without the kids to NY or west coast once or twice a year to be around more like minded people. It is pretty conservative here, and it can be hard to make friends if you're an open minded person. I have also had many people make comments to me about people from Cuba or Mexico, or African Americans, etc...not realizing I am married to someone from Central America. They just think if you're white, you talk about other races negatively. They honestly don't know any better. You wouldn't believe what people have said to me...it's ridiculous. You just have to find a circle of friends who have similar views so you don't go crazy. I haven't done that yet, but I plan to when I have more time, and then I will enjoy it more. But for now, it still has a lot to offer, and I recommend checking it out. We lived in the Lake Morton historic district and it was great. Walked everywhere. Did have some problems with crime though. Moved to South (east) side and haven't had any problems with crime yet. It's pretty far from everything, but very nice. Near Lake Hollingsworth is nice too. I don't notice that it's all old people in Lakeland at all. Sometimes when I go to Winter Haven I notice it. Everyone's different...it depends on what point you're at in your life. I find that the older we get, the more money we have, and the fact that we have kids now, makes us want to move to nicer and nicer areas. But when we were first starting out, a townhouse or apt in an area with so-so schools was perfect if it was close to work.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 5,951 times
Default Good schools

OK, so FL in general isn't known to have good schools. But there is a magnet school in Lakeland that seems to always come in at the top 10 in the state (fcat scores). The Montessori charter school scores very high as well. Just do your research, visit the schools and get on waiting lists.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,965 times
Living in NW PA all my life, the winters are getting to me more and more. Lakeland FL happens to be a place I can transfer to with my job, but since I am disabled (use a wheelchair) I don't want to just pack up and take off without a lot of thought put into things. I live alone, children are grown, so it is only my income. Needless to say I live paycheck to paycheck.

I need to check into how things work if I transfer as far as pay rates etc. but I do notice that the company I work for lists online that the starting pay for my position is $7.31 in Lakeland less then where I currently live which is $8.09. Is this normal for the area?

Speaking to a few people living in FL, one actually in Lakeland, they tell me that housing costs are at an all time low and half what they used to be. Also that the cost of living is relatively low. One thing that keeps sticking in my mind, is what happens if I move all that way and find an apartment only to have my rent double on me. If that would happen, I would be in trouble. Looking online at apartment rentals, they seem comparable to where I currently live. To me the plus would be no snow...

The company I work for is right down town from what I can find, and so I would want to live as close as possible to cut down on transportion times and costs. I currently live a couple blocks from work and it simplifies things greatly. How is public transportation in Lakeland? I am looking to move in a year, giving me time to prepare for the move with savings etc. Moving away from all your family puts you really out there on your own with no one to help if your in trouble. I've always moved around and have no qualms about moving, just wondering about apartment rental costs, utilities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida