Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful skyline in Florida?
Jacksonville 46 20.72%
Miami 121 54.50%
Tampa 42 18.92%
Orlando 13 5.86%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times

Advertisements

I just tried to call my friend for the name of that book and he's on his way to the Jax airport- flying up to Boston for the FSU game this weekend and won't be back until Tuesday.

He's getting a real kick out of me defending myself to "a bunch of weird online people" that I don't even know (his words, not mine).

His family is of Minorcan Descent and he said that his grandfather and a couple of uncles helped to build those bridges.......

As for the orange bridge, that was just me giving an example of how directions could be given- it wasn't me claiming there was an orange bridge.

And again, I know Jax has evolved into a very educated city but think back to the 30s and 40s when all of the so-called educated and civilized folk lived up north...... not much education then. And I dont know when driver's licenses became a requirement but I would imagine that a great deal of travel in the early 20th century was done by horse and carriage as cars weren't the norm but rather a luxury back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymillennium View Post
Im all for Gainesville. Im from Nothern Indiana, soon2bgator!!! I visit Hong kong for the BIG sky line. All BillyBoy wants is gatorLand!!! god I love you Floriduuh!!!
I love Gainesville as well! My mom went to UF, I was raised to be a Gator fan! When my friends and I were in high school, 11th and 12th grade, we would go out to Gainesville to party with our college friends! lol! But, I was asking for opinions on beautiful Florida skylines, that has nothing to do with BIG skylines! lol! In fact, I have said a few times on here that the amount of skyscrapers or large buildings is not what makes a skyline beautiful, in my opinion. To me, the uniqueness of the buildings and the skyline itself, the colors, the bridges, etc are what make a skyline truly beautiful. I also think that water adds a lot to a skyline. Cities that are on the water get that gorgeous reflection, especially at night, and it just adds sooo much! I started this thread because I feel like the Florida cities just get overlooked because they don't have quite as many skyscrapers as other cities. Again, a city does not have to be over flowing with buildings to be beautiful! In fact, I think that a lot of the cities that are over flowing with skyscrapers look too cluttered and crowded. In my opinion, it looks a million times better when a city has several large buildings or skyscrapers, but not so much that it looks too crowded. Also, again, the uniqueness of the buildings, the colors, the bridges and if the city is on water or not, makes a huge difference in the skyline. Anyway, the thread has absolutely nothing to do with BIG skylines! lol!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:35 AM

137 posts, read 550,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymillennium View Post
Im all for Gainesville. Im from Nothern Indiana, soon2bgator!!! I visit Hong kong for the BIG sky line. All BillyBoy wants is gatorLand!!! god I love you Floriduuh!!!

Well come on down! I live near and work in Gainesville and it has been my home since birth! I'm sure you'll love it! We are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from some beaches depending on if you are heading north or south....the beach to the west (Cedar Key) isn't much unless you want to fish! Gainesville has a lot of college students but the only time I am really frustrated is in August when they are ALL in Wal-Mart getting apartment/school supplies....

All in all I think you'll love it here! Just please have a job first the prices around here are quickly climbing and UF is in the middle of a hiring freeze. I'm not sure but I would say Gainesville is more expensive to live than say Tally or Ocala. Oh & Gainesville is still pretty small/rural compared to JAX/Orlando/Tampa...we just do not compare in size BUT you won't get lost, you'll meet some very interesting people and you'll be surrounded by GATORS....fans not the animals! But you may see a few real ones too!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:46 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
the GATORS rock!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
I am from Miami, I live in Tampa, I have been to Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, and Jacksonville a zillion times---Miami overall has every place beat for the best skyline-hands down!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I just tried to call my friend for the name of that book and he's on his way to the Jax airport- flying up to Boston for the FSU game this weekend and won't be back until Tuesday.

He's getting a real kick out of me defending myself to "a bunch of weird online people" that I don't even know (his words, not mine).
No worries ! It just doesn't sound plausible, y'know? If you come across the name of the book, it's be interesting to see who wrote/published it, but no big deal .

Old 11-03-2007, 10:37 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
go on greenville, sc forum, check out the thread with the random photos of downtown greenville. it has a waterfall running through downtown, it is unbelievable. i think it is nicer than all the ones mentioned above imo.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM

60 posts, read 68,562 times
I voted for Miami. However, the drawback to Miami's skyline is that it's mostly residential, so it doesn't light up as well at night as if it had more office buildings.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Honestly I wasn't being sarcastic. A colleague of mine who was born and raised in Jax told me that. His family has been there for hundreds of years. I called him again tonight and he swears that the bridges were painted different colors due to illiteracy- even read me a passage from a book about Jacksonville history he has.

By no way did I mean to imply that Jax is an uneducated city at all. But I do believe that 20-30 years ago it probably was. The book said that when the bridges were originally built they were color coded because many residents could not read signs.
Wait a minute, you think that in the 1980's people in Jacksonville could not read? They only just learned how in the last couple of decades?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
billymillennium.. Did you ever say what your favorite Florida skyline was? I know you said that you love Gainesville, but is the Gainesville skyline your favorite Florida skyline? I wouldn't really say that Gainesville has a skyline. I don't think that a skyline has to be over flowing with skyscrapers to be beautiful, as I already said, but I think you have to have some large buildings to even really have a skyline? Gainesville is a wonderful city, I definitely agree with you on that, but I'm curious as to what your favorite Florida skyline is. I just realized that you never answered the question! lol! The thread is about what is everyone's favorite Florida skyline, or which city has the most beautiful skyline in Florida, and your post had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida