U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2006, 06:00 AM

7 posts, read 31,609 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a new home that has the boundry of an AO flood zone running through the middle of the property. The house pad and foundation are about 3 feet above the street level. It has a modified septic system that is required in a flood zone. State farm estimates my flood insurance premium at $500. Any advice? Does anyone live in a home that is in a flood plain?

Thanks, Leroy
Rate this post positively

Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 AM

269 posts, read 1,019,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
I am considering buying a new home that has the boundry of an AO flood zone running through the middle of the property. The house pad and foundation are about 3 feet above the street level. It has a modified septic system that is required in a flood zone. State farm estimates my flood insurance premium at $500. Any advice? Does anyone live in a home that is in a flood plain?

Thanks, Leroy
Obviously, it's ultimately your decision...but when we have a tropical storm hanging around for a few days it can dump an awful lot of rain...personally, I wouldn't purchase anything but "X" flood zone.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:10 AM

944 posts, read 3,703,218 times
Can you guys clarify AO? I think in terms of Evacuation level. I would never buy A or B but would consider C.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 AM

Default Ao flood zone

As I understand it, in an AO flood zone there is a risk of 1 to 3 feet of water on the average of once every 100 years. In a B zone, there is a risk of 1 foot of water every 100 years. The property lies on the edge of the AO zone and partly in the B zone.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Can you guys clarify AO? I think in terms of Evacuation level. I would never buy A or B but would consider C.
• V zones are those areas closest to the shoreline and subject to wave action, high-velocity flow, and erosion during the 100-year flood.
• A zones are areas subject to flooding during the 100-year flood, but where flood conditions are less severe than those in V zones.
• AO zones are areas subject to shallow flooding or sheet flow during the 100-year flood. AO Zones have a 26% chance of flooding within the life of a 30 year mortgage.
• X zones are areas that are not expected to flood during the 100-year flood.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
In a B zone, there is a risk of 1 foot of water every 100 years. The property lies on the edge of the AO zone and partly in the B zone.
With regards to my last post.. X=B They used to call it X, now some areas have switched to a B & C. Bottom line is, a B or C are not going to get flooded (unless we're all under water)

Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 AM

4 posts, read 45,383 times
I think what you are referring to is actually an "AE" flood zone. My home is located in one of these and take it from personal experience, I have been here for 14 years and the area does not flood...period. Back in 1993 during the so called "storm of the century" there was no water anywhere near my home. I would have no qualms about buying in one of these areas. The down side is the bank will make you purchase flood insurance. It will give you additional peace of mind, but unnecessary in my opinion.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:39 AM

Thanks bob4str,

We are going to try to work out a contract with the builder today. I don't need a mortgage so I don't have to buy flood insurance, but I will just to be on the safe side. I would be more skeptical except that the property directly across the street is not in the AO flood zone and flood insurance would not be required by a lender.

Jim (aka Leroy)

Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM

10 posts, read 146,786 times
Default Zone C

with regard to scamutz's comment above about zone C never flooding, take a look at our subdivision in Palo, IA. Our zone C subdivision has 3-4 feet of water in their basements... I guess 20' in excess of flood levels call for rezoning...

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-20-2008 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Thread closed, older thread from 2006 and originator was banned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>