Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times

Advertisements

The only thing I do know is that it's illegal to drive with your dog on your truck's bed, unless he is in a kennel. Is it enforced? Not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
I think it depends on the weather and the location.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Heck my husband left our dog in the car long enough to walk into a store to get him ( the dog) some water while I was shopping. He came outside and there was a cop about ready to break our window to get the dog out.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
How dreadful. Here in Tennessee (or across the line in Virginia) you can get locked up for leaving a pet in a car. Those jerks probably just wanted to eat their lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Actually i went to eat at Chilli's one day in Clermont Florida and two cops just happened to be eating there that day....well it was in August and it was in the 90's.....well me and my girlfriend finished eating and started walking to the car and she noticed a dog in a car with the windows cracked....and no one was in it.....so i said "Wait Here".....I went in and told the police guys that were eating ....and they said "That's not illegal"....and i just stood there like i wished they would at least look at the dam dog out there ......but they just kept eating....so i don't think it is legal if the windows are down or cracked if you have an animal in the car.....which frigin sux....or maybe those 2 cops were just more interested in eating thier stupid lunch....who knows

Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 AM

254 posts, read 414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover123 View Post
We sit in our car many days to eat lunch or wait on our wives. It does not hurt us if you pick the right conditions. If you take the same precautions with dogs, why is that wrong? What is the difference of sitting in a 90 degree field or a 90 degree car for 10 minutes, or two hours. We work our asses off in 90 degree plus heat all the time in the sun, for many hours . Yes 150 is wrong, but shouldn't judgement be allowed, as long as no harm is done. Yes some have poor judgement, and they should be prosecuted.

BAD idea whether legal or not. Dogs cannot sweat from their skin to cool their bodies like humans do, only through their tongues and foot pads. Plus they are covered in fur, therefore keeping heat in. So they tend to overheat more quickly and severely than even humans do. A dog can die from heat exhaustion in as little as half an hour depending on conditions, whether they have water to drink or not.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 AM

27 posts, read 56,270 times
Legal or illegal, being a dog person, I would love to catch one one of these idiots who lock their dogs in a hot car with cracked windows...

Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardax1 View Post
Is it legal to leave watered dog in car with windows down in Florida?
It's certainly inhumane.

Our neighboring county had a well known heat stress case that made national news. On an 85 degree day, the dog died within an hour. At the hands of Animal Control, no less :

The PETA Files | diamond | Archives

Dog Dies After Animal Control Leaves it in Truck « For the Love of the Dog

Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardax1 View Post
Is it legal to leave watered dog in car with windows down in Florida?
It's certainly inhumane.

Our neighboring county had a well known heat stress case that made national news. On an 85 degree day, the dog died within an hour. At the hands of Animal Control, no less :

The PETA Files | diamond | Archives

Dog Dies After Animal Control Leaves it in Truck « For the Love of the Dog

So the answer is No. Not cool to leave your dog in the car in Florida at all. Period.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachPirate1976 View Post
Legal or illegal, being a dog person, I would love to catch one one of these idiots who lock their dogs in a hot car with cracked windows...
Where's my gun? Or better yet! Lock the "pet owner" in the car for 5 minutes. ,

Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
Yes it is legal to leave your animal in your car but in particular situations it has to be 75 degrees out or lower. The windows have to be cracked or opened to circulate the air. There also has to be water and food in the vehicle at all times to keep the animal hydrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida