Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:03 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times

Advertisements

Gonna look it up for questions we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 02:37 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I suspect Florida homeowners insurance is going to end up following the California earthquake insurance model. California hasn't had a really bad earthquake since 1906. Earthquake insurance is very expensive and doesn't cover very much. And there is a 15% to 20% deductible.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
The thing is you can have a mortgage and skip the earthquake insurance(must still insure for fire, flood, tornadoes, etc) But in Florida you must insure for everything except flood(might depend too) This is driving alot of people out of Florida. I think if they made hurricane insurance optional for mortgages, itll help tons!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Thumbs up Federal Flood Policy is Necessary for Flooding and Storm Surge Coverage

From the Florida Insurance Counsel...

Standard homeowners policies do not cover damage from floods, including storm surge from a hurricane, which is considered flooding. Much of the damage from Hurricane Ivan in west Florida to homes on barrier islands was caused by storm surge. Insurance for flooding and storm surge is available from the National Flood Insurance Program. Information should be available through the agent handling the regular homeowners policy, but also from the National Flood Insurance Program http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/index.jsp or by calling 1-888-379-9531.
Homeowners Insurance Won't Cover Flooding or Storm Surge, So a Federal Flood Policy May be Necessary

Standard homeowners policies provide coverage for disasters such as damage due to fire, lightning, hail, explosions and theft. They do not cover floods, including storm surge from a hurricane, which is considered flooding, or damage caused by lack of routine maintenance. Flood insurance is available from the Federal Insurance Administration from the National Flood Insurance Program (http://www.fema.gov ) It usually can be placed by the agent handling the regular homeowners policy. Information probably can be obtained through the agent, but also from the National Flood Insurance Program http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/index.jsp or by calling 1-888-379-9531. Banks and other lenders will usually require flood insurance if the property is located along the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Ocean or otherwise in a flood zone. Much of the damage from Hurricane Ivan in west Florida to homes on barrier islands was caused by storm surge. Homeowners would not have adequate protection if they did not have flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. Flood insurance is also a wise investment if your home is located on an inland pond, including a golf course pond, because damage from rising waters would not be covered by the regular policy.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Thumbs up About The Florida Comprehensive Hurricane Damage Mitigation Program

This is worth checking: http://www.mysafefloridahome.com/abouttheprogram.asp

To help Floridians identify how they can strengthen their homes against hurricanes and to reduce hurricane damage exposure in our state, the Florida Comprehensive Hurricane Damage Mitigation Program is offering free home inspections by qualified hurricane mitigation inspectors to eligible homeowners.

This is not an entitlement program. You must apply and obtain approval in order to receive the free inspection. Requesting or obtaining an inspection does not guarantee or automatically qualify you for a grant. Floridians whose homes have undergone a wind certification and hurricane mitigation inspection approved by the Department of Financial Services will then be eligible to apply for matching grants up to $5,000.

A Floridian whose primary residence is a single-family, site-built home with an insured value of $500,000 or less and has a homestead exemption is eligible to apply for a free home inspection.

A Floridian whose primary residence has a homestead exemption and an insured value of $500,000 or less that is a unit in a residential building of up to four units will also be eligible to apply for a free home inspection. All unit owners in a residential building must agree to participate in the program to be eligible for free home inspections.

Properties not eligible for free home inspections include mobile homes or manufactured homes, second homes, rental properties, apartments, condominiums or businesses.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:33 PM

61 posts, read 208,425 times
Default South East Fl here 5 miles from beach

Insurance. what a racket. It's gambling and nothing else.
the insurance company is taking the bet and refusing to pay off when they lose - it's as simple as that.

On small houses/villas the insurance has gone from $1200/1600 to $5000 per year with a deductible of $5000 (so that they won't have to pay for reroofing....with larger houses the dedcutible is $8/10,000.

not very funny.

Insurance companies are supposed to start writing again after Oct 31 in Fl. or so I hear.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldenitto View Post
I'm a single women, living on social security. An no money to pay my taxes or Insurance, let a lone storm shutters, I could use some help. I was hurt in April of 2004, My foot was crushed, I can not work, I've spent all my moneys, what do I do now? Maybe if I was Mexican or what ever I could get help? I'm sick of paying taxes to help every one, what about me? mldenitto@hotmail.com
The problem with this country, we help ever one except our own. Sad but true I had real problems, during the hurricane season, I called fema I didn't qualify, I had Insurance, no moneys to replace any thing damage, like my frig, full of food, that was wasted, nor did any one help me. I with a foot that I couldn't stand on, cut tree's and made do.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
You sound like a strong, determined person and that is great!! Too bad that more people in this world aren't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida