Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of the legislation and the death penalty?
In favor of both the reform and the death penalty 15 50.00%
In favor of the Death Penalty but against the reform 4 13.33%
Against both the Death penalty and the reform 9 30.00%
In Favor of death penalty and the Reform but would like to see the method of execution changed. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitch21 View Post
oh gee lets let murderes know that they can kill hundreds of people and they will not suffer the same fate.... gee if we had half of the penalties for crimes even 60 years ago this country wouldnt be soo screwed up
This reasoning is one of many that death penalty supporters say but it just shows ignorance. The DP has shown to not deter crime. This along with cost and other reasons are why many ignorantly support it. Add in the hypocrisy that just about every religion is against it as well.

Basically the only reason one could be for it is revenge. Studies and research prove all the other claims wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Your logic is so incredibly flawed, it's frightening.

Good post.

All developing nations. Interesting how a pro-death penalty person would use stats like that.
Some great company here huh?

Quote:
Afghanistan (2), Bangladesh (5+), Belarus (2), China (2000+), Egypt (1+), Iran (360+), Iraq (68+), Malaysia (1+), North Korea (30+), Saudi Arabia (82+), Somalia (6), South Sudan (5), Sudan (7+), Syria (1+), UAE (1), USA (43), Vietnam (1+), Yemen (41+).

Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
My biggest problem with the death penalty in Florida is that we only require a simple majority vote for both conviction and sentencing if they changed that to requiring a unanimous decision for both convection and sentencing then I would have no problems with death penalty but until then I will be hesitant about supporting the death penalty although I still support it.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Part of the problem is the past 2 governors will only sign death warrants one at a time and it seems only for certain types of killers. 2 or 3 years ago they came out with a list of at least 30 inmates who ran out of appeals and can be scheduled for execution. You can bet in a state like Texas, all 30 or so would have at least had a date scheduled and at least 25 would already have been executed, but I think in Texas, they execute at least that many.
Actually, so far we're on month 4 and have executed 3 scumbags, two in the last week, the last one was actually yesterday!

We killed 15 in 2012, 13 in 2011, 2010 was a busy year with 17...

a total of 495 since 1982, 1,247 since 1819.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
2 of the top 3 countries with the highest murder rate do not have the death penalty.
Don't try to confuse them with facts, Mike!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
This reasoning is one of many that death penalty supporters say but it just shows ignorance. The DP has shown to not deter crime. This along with cost and other reasons are why many ignorantly support it. Add in the hypocrisy that just about every religion is against it as well.

Basically the only reason one could be for it is revenge. Studies and research prove all the other claims wrong.
Actually, California, New York, and Michigan rarely execute people and they're all pretty dangerous states..

Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 PM

The Death Penalty doesn't deter crime but that's not why I support it. I support it because there are just some people so wicked and evil that they shouldn't even be able to walk on the same planet we do.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Actually, so far we're on month 4 and have executed 3 scumbags, two in the last week, the last one was actually yesterday!

We killed 15 in 2012, 13 in 2011, 2010 was a busy year with 17...

a total of 495 since 1982, 1,247 since 1819.

when I said 16 a year it was an average... also I believe in Texas u require unanimous jury conviction and sentencing, here in Florida we don't have that, that's why I think we lead the nation in exoneration's. if the Florida justice system was held to the same standered as in Texas I would be A okay with the Death penalty but the plain truth is my state isn't really good at upholding the principle of Innocent until proven guilty we have an attorney general that celebrates the fact that the burden in court is on the defense who must prove there innocence.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
when I said 16 a year it was an average... also I believe in Texas u require unanimous jury conviction and sentencing, here in Florida we don't have that, that's why I think we lead the nation in exoneration's. if the Florida justice system was held to the same standered as in Texas I would be A okay with the Death penalty but the plain truth is my state isn't really good at upholding the principle of Innocent until proven guilty we have an attorney general that celebrates the fact that the burden in court is on the defense who must prove there innocence.
I'm from Florida too, and Texas has plenty of exonerations, the problem is, in the past, it was a lot harder to obtain DNA evidence, which is where you see a lot of the exonerations coming from. People convicted in the 70's and the 80's.

It's said that it's better to let 100 guilty men go free than to punish one innocent man, and I agree with that! If there is a reasonable doubt that one of these inmates COULD be innocent, sentence him to life (not death) until all of the facts can present themselves.

There are too many cases where these guys kill and leave witnesses or are stupid with the evidence, and they should pay the ultimate price.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
All developing nations. Interesting how a pro-death penalty person would use stats like that. ok: rolleyes:
Interesting that I took EXACTLY what you said, "Most nations that do not have death penalties are less violent and people do not find murder to be as enjoyable", looked up the actual numbers, found you were wrong, posted as such and now you are qualifying your original post.

Here is a quote from a study on the subject
Quote:
Ranking all 147 countries for which data was available in terms of homicide rate, and comparing this to whether the penalty existed or not, yielded a weak positive correlation of 0.2.**

This means that there is some correlation between imposing the death penalty and having higher homicide rates, but this correlation is in fact weak to bordering on insignificance.

So it seems that those using global homicide rates to support either side of the death penalty debate need to justify why their findings are statistically significant. Our calculations suggest there isn't enough proof that capital punishment is or isn't an effective deterrent to murder.
Can't remember exactly where I pulled it up previously but if you are interested enough I am sure you can find it.

"Weak", "insignificant", "isn't enough proof", "bordering on insignificance" are just a few of the words used. A .2% difference, that is 1/5th of one percent, the numbers show that you can not make an argument that the death penalty is not a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida