Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM

471 posts, read 850,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
not Brickell...I was talking about the main downtown area, the area south of overtown. brickell is just a boring area though
Brickell is boring. Sure. That's why 10+ luxury high rises are going up right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
I know this is an old thread but I just wanna add my 2 cent... I'm from Louisiana, but I've been living in Fl for almost 3 yrs.. I live in Orlando, but will be relocating to Arlington, Tx in 6 months.. I have lived in La, Tx and Fl... all 3 are humid, Fl has tons of toll roads, Tx is bigger than Fl and La combined so dont keen in population. Fl is a bit over crowded to me; yes they have sandy white beaches (Atlantic side) but the sand on the Gulf side is also browinsh, just a lighter than the sand in La and Tx bc of the mississippi river... Job market is way better in Tx depending on your field of work... Fl is a big tourist area so alot of the jobs here are retail, theme parks and restaurant and the average pay is around $9 per hr. I spent most of my life in La at plants making $14+ (16+ in Tx) and when i moved to Fl I found out that there arent many plants here. Its best to travel and visit each one and see which one you like the best. If you are renting then Tx and Fl are going to be neck and neck on price, I have seen some in Tx slightly cheaper, and if you are buying then Tx houses are cheaper. I am renting now paying 1400 a month, and we were going to buy the house but they want 250,000; went to Alrington to my friend's house which is bigger and cleaner neighborhood and he paid 186,000... Good luck on your choice to those needing advice.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot318 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanna add my 2 cent... I'm from Louisiana, but I've been living in Fl for almost 3 yrs.. I live in Orlando, but will be relocating to Arlington, Tx in 6 months.. I have lived in La, Tx and Fl... all 3 are humid, Fl has tons of toll roads, Tx is bigger than Fl and La combined so dont keen in population. Fl is a bit over crowded to me; yes they have sandy white beaches (Atlantic side) but the sand on the Gulf side is also browinsh, just a lighter than the sand in La and Tx bc of the mississippi river... Job market is way better in Tx depending on your field of work... Fl is a big tourist area so alot of the jobs here are retail, theme parks and restaurant and the average pay is around $9 per hr. I spent most of my life in La at plants making $14+ (16+ in Tx) and when i moved to Fl I found out that there arent many plants here. Its best to travel and visit each one and see which one you like the best. If you are renting then Tx and Fl are going to be neck and neck on price, I have seen some in Tx slightly cheaper, and if you are buying then Tx houses are cheaper. I am renting now paying 1400 a month, and we were going to buy the house but they want 250,000; went to Alrington to my friend's house which is bigger and cleaner neighborhood and he paid 186,000... Good luck on your choice to those needing advice.
A good friend of mine grew up in and lived all over Texas and for now lives in Florida.
Your post matches exactly what she's said over the years.

The only thing missing is she says it's very conservative in Texas (having kids out of wedlock is frowned on big time in Texas for example) and Texas is much more religious than Florida.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:25 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,107 times
As a native Texan who has recently moved to Florida, here is my 2 cents.

Texans consider Texas more as a country, not so much as a state. Has to do with the size, economy, and a disconnect with the northeast mindset. Growth is tremendous (added 142000 jobs last year even with the oil slowdown). Further, entry level jobs routinely offer more than minimum wage ($10 and higher for burger flippers ) due to job competition. As previous posters have said, Houston is more blue-collar, Austin is tech-related (straight-p competitor with Silicon Valley) and DFW is finance-insurance related. At the same time, there are more Fortune 500 companies located in Texas than other states, with companies relocating in From the northeast and CA due to taxes.

Florida still has a long way to go to catch up with Texas with job growth. The primary reason. Is regulation, not taxes. Carl's Jr relocated its corporate operations to Texas, saying it can open a new restaurant in Texas in 1 1/2 months. Conversely,in Florida, with all the required permits, Licenses, etc, it can take 8-12 months to open a similar store. It takes over a month just to get a permit in my county. Florida needs to take a long hard look at all its regulations and see if they are really necessary in order to get good jobs and corporations into Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida