Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:45 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Daytona Beach is far from an ugly beach.
I'm guessing you've never ventured down the West Coast of Florida...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 02:05 PM

745 posts, read 1,583,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
I'm guessing you've never ventured down the West Coast of Florida...
that's irrelevant, just like most of your posts. You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
I went to Galveston beach, and it was disgusting being a Floridian the beach is a major part of my life style. I have a family condo on a beach, and I truly didn't know how much I could not live without a god beach until I left. If you do not have a better job in Texas there is defiantly no reason to go there. The reason why Texas is booming is because of jobs not because it is the best place to live. If you do decide to move I am pretty sure there are tons of people from the NE who would love to take your job.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I went to Galveston beach, and it was disgusting being a Floridian the beach is a major part of my life style. I have a family condo on a beach, and I truly didn't know how much I could not live without a god beach until I left. If you do not have a better job in Texas there is defiantly no reason to go there. The reason why Texas is booming is because of jobs not because it is the best place to live. If you do decide to move I am pretty sure there are tons of people from the NE who would love to take your job.
This, this, and this ^^^. Except I would say there are tons of people already HERE who would love to take that amazing job!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
If you do not have a better job in Texas there is defiantly no reason to go there. The reason why Texas is booming is because of jobs not because it is the best place to live.
^ That's exactly what I was trying to find out. ^

On paper, it seems like Texas is a downright horrible place to live compared to Florida.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
that's irrelevant, just like most of your posts. You really have no idea what you are talking about.
No, you just don't understand East Coast sarcasm because you're from the West Coast.

I'm practical, realistic, and sarcastic. Tear a page outta my book, why don't ya?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Have most of the jobs created over the past few years in Texas been well-paying blue-collar jobs that require little skill and experience and no education?

I have a feeling that most of the people on this forum who have moved from FL to TX are blue-collar and service industry workers who were unable to secure gainful employment in FL. Many blue-collar and service industry positions in FL don't pay enough with respect to the high cost of living. That's all over this forum. Additionally, most of the people who move to FL in the first place, as well as many of the people who have lived here their entire lives, are blue-collar or service industry workers.
We have a lot of service industry jobs, but we also have high paying jobs that require high education. Obviously you don't boast the world's largest medical center, the worlds largest concentration of energy companies, and one of the countries fastest growing tech sectors by having masses of uneducated people.

Our public schools usually rank pretty much on par with Florida's schools, despite the fact that we share a border with a poor country and attempt to educate millions of children that don't know our language.

Of course, Texas also boasts 3 AAU Universities (Texas, Texas A&M, and Rice) while Florida only has one (Florida.)

Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
On paper, it seems like Texas is a downright horrible place to live compared to Florida.
What exactly "on paper" would lead you to believe that? Because the beaches are nicer?

Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, to take this a little further...

The Unemployment Rate in Florida is 7.9%
The Unemployment Rate in Texas is 6.2%

Cost of Living 4th Quarter 2012

As of the end of 2012, Florida ranked 28th (1st being the best, 51 being worst) in Cost of Living.
As of the end of 2012, Texas ranked 7th (1st being the best, 51 being worst) in Cost of Living.

List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of 2010, Florida ranked 4th in GDP at 754 million.
As of 2010, Texas ranked 2nd in GDP at 1.3 trillion.

Median U.S. Household Income by State - US News and World Report

As of 2010, The average Floridian household made $44,736.
As of 2010, The average Texan household made $48,259.

Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida high school graduates have access to One AAU University.
Texas high school graduates have access to Three AUU Universities.

US Home Prices and USA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

The median cost to buy a house in Florida is $236,000
The median cost to buy a house in Texas is $144,900

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

In a top 25 study performed by Brown University on the most diverse Metro's, Florida had 2 listed, Miami and Orlando.
In that same study, Texas had 3 listed, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Killeen/Temple.

Of course, I could go ON and ON, but I'd like to know, aside from the beaches, what exactly "on paper" is better in Florida? However, judging by your replies in this thread, I can plainly see that this was a troll thread anyway.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Actually, to take this a little further...

The Unemployment Rate in Florida is 7.9%
The Unemployment Rate in Texas is 6.2%

Cost of Living 4th Quarter 2012

As of the end of 2012, Florida ranked 28th (1st being the best, 51 being worst) in Cost of Living.
As of the end of 2012, Texas ranked 7th (1st being the best, 51 being worst) in Cost of Living.

List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of 2010, Florida ranked 4th in GDP at 754 million.
As of 2010, Texas ranked 2nd in GDP at 1.3 trillion.

Median U.S. Household Income by State - US News and World Report

As of 2010, The average Floridian household made $44,736.
As of 2010, The average Texan household made $48,259.

Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida high school graduates have access to One AAU University.
Texas high school graduates have access to Three AUU Universities.

US Home Prices and USA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com

The median cost to buy a house in Florida is $236,000
The median cost to buy a house in Texas is $144,900

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

In a top 25 study performed by Brown University on the most diverse Metro's, Florida had 2 listed, Miami and Orlando.
In that same study, Texas had 3 listed, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Killeen/Temple.

Of course, I could go ON and ON, but I'd like to know, aside from the beaches, what exactly "on paper" is better in Florida? However, judging by your replies in this thread, I can plainly see that this was a troll thread anyway.
Exactly everything economically sounds better that's why some many people are moving there. I would expect Texas to have a cheaper cost of living as a whole half of the state is a desert, and trust me I have drove through it the most boring 7 Hours of my life. You guys have Mexicans, and we have every other Hispanic/ Caribbean. Also home prices are determined by whether people want to live there and whether this person wants o spend that much. As A whole Florida is A lot more desirable state, so people are willing to spend more to live here. We also are, and yes still is the Retirement capitol of America, That means less people employed that mean less people contributing to the GDP. The University of Miami is ranked higher than the University of Florida. I will agree that what our economy depends on is not as solid, as what they have in Texas. Our economy depends on making people happy, while yours depends on Polluting the earth. We are also working on diversifying it Miami has the second largest medical center in the us, and Orlando is developing a medical city, and is becoming a world renowned tech center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida